Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineyellownotepad
Pharmaceutical Agriculturalist
 User Gallery

preflowers- can i keep vegging?
    #100732 - 08/02/08 11:33 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

i was talking to the hydro store guy about this yesterday but i figured i would see what growery people have to say on the matter.

my mother plant has been in veg under 24/0 in a gallon pot of miracle grow moisture control +perlite + vermiculite and its got preflowers.  hydro store guy said that i wont be able to keep it vegging a whole lot longer if its preflowering and that there is a chance it could autoflower, or just stop growing / eventually die.  however he also said that mgmc would be a fine soil to keep a mother in veg since its  got nutrients that are decent for it, even though they are not very good for flowering.  i was planning on keeping this thing as a bonsai mother but it sounds like that might be risky and i should just flower it.....  my main goal here is to preserve the fact that i have super silver haze genetics that i got for free. i have some blue mystic seeds arriving and i almost wonder if i could grow out a male of the blue mystic so i can breed it with my super silver in order to get more seeds.....

Edited by yellownotepad (08/02/08 11:34 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: preflowers- can i keep vegging? (moved) [Re: yellownotepad]
    #100741 - 08/02/08 11:49 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

This thread was moved from Soil Cultivation.

Reason:
Moving this to the main cultivation forum, since the soil cultivation forum is for topics specifically concerning matters concerning soil.

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: preflowers- can i keep vegging? [Re: yellownotepad]
    #100743 - 08/02/08 11:53 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

yellownotepad said:
hydro store guy said that i wont be able to keep it vegging a whole lot longer if its preflowering and that there is a chance it could autoflower, or just stop growing / eventually die.

Honestly, I think the hydro store guy is a moron. Not the first time someone has quoted a hydro store guy on here being a moron, either. :lol:

Preflowers develop automatically during the vegetative state. There's really no way that I know of in which they don't develop. Yet, people obviously keep mother plants in vegetative state for years, even a decade and more. They aren't going to start flowering until the lighting schedule changes, unless they actually have auto-flowering genetics.

The guy is a douche; don't worry about it. :wink:

--------------------

Offlineyellownotepad
 User Gallery

Re: preflowers- can i keep vegging? [Re: Sirius]
    #100744 - 08/02/08 11:57 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

well i mean he did say he does this (i've been going there for a year, and only recently he let me know it was ok to discuss mj when there arent other customers in the store) and that he was basing it on personal experience.

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #100753 - 08/02/08 12:11 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Its possible he just doesn't know how to keep mothers.

I've never heard of a way of preventing preflowers, nor have I ever heard of anyone mentioning the need to do so when they keep mother plants. Since the preflowers develop automatically when the plants sexually mature, regardless of the amount of light, it only makes sense that mothers have preflowers. :shrug:

Here is a great article on keeping bonsai mothers. :wink:

--------------------

OfflineChronicbs

#103195 - 08/05/08 03:14 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Keep it as a mother, with proper pruning it will only get better and better at giving you awesome clones.  All preflowers mean is the plant has chosen its sex, all from seed plants eventually do this after vegging long enough even if you don't put them in 12/12.  As long as you take care of it and give it at least 18 hours of light, it will veg for years.

edit: actually some strains will auto flower even if you keep them in veg but only certain uncommon ones that I doubt you are growing.  (like lowryder)

edit2: also don't use miracle grow even for a mother plant imo.  It's just low quality stuff.  Soil isn't that expensive if you just have a little grow. Get a bag of ocean forest or black gold if you can or if you have to go slightly cheaper Lowe's has some decent stuff in their Sta-Green line.  I'm unsure which one, I even tried to look but there doesn't seem to be much consensus.  Either way any of the sta-green is sure to be better than miracle grow.  What compelled you to use MG anyway?

Edited by Chronicbs (08/05/08 03:37 AM)

Offlineyellownotepad
 User Gallery

Re: preflowers- can i keep vegging? [Re: Chronicbs]
    #103254 - 08/05/08 10:20 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

at the time, mgmc was all i could find and so i used it.  i rediscovered the hydro shop i went to a long time ago though (and the guy there even remembered me and what i bought from a year and a half ago) and they have foxfarms and i forget what other kinds of soil.  how would i go about changing the soil for the mother plant?  would it even survive whatever disturbance to the root system would need to occur for that?

OfflineChronicbs

#103259 - 08/05/08 10:37 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

yellownotepad said:
at the time, mgmc was all i could find and so i used it.  i rediscovered the hydro shop i went to a long time ago though (and the guy there even remembered me and what i bought from a year and a half ago) and they have foxfarms and i forget what other kinds of soil.  how would i go about changing the soil for the mother plant?  would it even survive whatever disturbance to the root system would need to occur for that?

How long have you been vegging it in there?  If the roots are established in the miracle grow a transplant is easy; just lift it out of the pot, shake off the dirt, then put it in a new slightly larger pot.  If you barely transplanted it a few days ago and the roots haven't reestablished you can still transplant, you just have to be much more careful to not damage the roots when you take it out of the pot.  Dive your hands into the sides of the pot, wiggle them under the roots, then lift the plant out and then carefully sift your hands to get the dirt off the roots.  Then replant.

Actually you are right though, since it's a mother you don't really have to transplant as long as the miracle grow isn't making her sick.  The worst thing about using the miracle grow is supposed to be the awful way the long release ferts in the MG soil make your finished bud taste.  So I guess just leave it till its ready to transplant on its own and your fine.

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #103330 - 08/05/08 12:31 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

yellownotepad said:
how would i go about changing the soil for the mother plant?  would it even survive whatever disturbance to the root system would need to occur for that?

The best thing to do, if the soil is adequate enough to get you by, is just roll with it, and when it starts getting root bound, trim the root system, as documented in that link to keeping bonsai mothers that I gave to you earlier. Then transplant it back into the same pot, but start using the better soil. Of course, each time you would do this, it'd be the same amount you'd be taking off, so its not like you'd be getting most of that soil out of there, and it isn't often that you would trim the roots. If you are really going to have problems with the soil you have, maybe it would be better to just take a really good clone of it and start over. I'd definitely recommend going over that link a couple times, because I think it is really important to keep a mother well-trained, so you'll be able to take the clones you need without requiring much space for the mother (its not like you're going to keep transplanting it into bigger pots and let it keep growing in size, it is just impractical and pointless), and also to ensure that it will last for many years, since it is a great phenotype (considering that it was selected to be a mother out of all the others). :wink:

--------------------

Offlineyellownotepad
 User Gallery

#103334 - 08/05/08 12:40 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

actually it was selected to be a mother after a trial by fire....literally.  it was the only one of 3 plants that survived being in a 100*F closet under a 400w HPS being watered every day excessively in a solo cup of shitty soil.  and then it recovered, and didnt go hermie.  you can check out my growlog from start to current time and see how the plant looked when i got it after 7 weeks of absurdly bad torture.  i would think this mean the plant is pretty damn resilient and a good mother phenotype.  what do you think?

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #103513 - 08/05/08 05:42 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

well, it's proven to be quite resilient to heat.  While that may be the case, i sure as hell wouldn't want to torture the clones you snip from it with high temps like that :wink:  But, if the plant can take high levels of heat that's a good thing for indoor growing as often cab temps can be difficult to keep under 80 F sometimes.

I would also like to say your hydro guy is full of shit and if he's giving you advice like that, just go there to buy supplies and nothing more.  Preflowers are a sign of sexual maturity and nothing more.  All plants will show preflowers in veg if given long enough time.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlineyellownotepad
 User Gallery

Re: preflowers- can i keep vegging? [Re: coda]
    #103694 - 08/05/08 09:16 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

maybe he thought that i was trying to say that it was starting to show buds....lol

at any rate, yes, this plant has shown its extremely resilient to the stresses you see on an indoor grow (high heat, overwatering, etc) so thats good.  to be clear the stresses were not me, that was the previous owner.  i'm a good grower :crankey:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies