Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefantasy2reality
 User Gallery

water softener??????
    #90416 - 07/22/08 06:28 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I have a well, with a water softener, will this water harm my plant?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

Re: water softener?????? (moved) [Re: fantasy2reality]
    #90421 - 07/22/08 07:40 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

This thread was moved from Outdoor Cultivation.

Reason:
general question

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

Re: water softener?????? (moved) [Re: Yrat]
    #90422 - 07/22/08 07:43 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

hard water is water that has a high amount of dissolved minerals.  these minerals are removed and lessened to lower levels to "soften" the water.  this probably won't be a problem, the only issue that might arise is that sodium levels go up as water is softened.  i highly doubt they would raise to such a level to present serious problems.  how does the water taste?  you may want to do a pH test
click me for a full explanation

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

OfflineChronicbs

#90493 - 07/22/08 11:44 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

fantasy2reality said:

Cant you go out and tap the faucet on the well before it goes into the softener?  The good thing about using hard well water is you won't need to use Cal Mag+  on your plants.

Offlinefantasy2reality
 User Gallery

#90627 - 07/22/08 04:32 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Yrat said:
hard water is water that has a high amount of dissolved minerals.  these minerals are removed and lessened to lower levels to "soften" the water.  this probably won't be a problem, the only issue that might arise is that sodium levels go up as water is softened.  i highly doubt they would raise to such a level to present serious problems.  how does the water taste?  you may want to do a pH test
click me for a full explanation

Yeah, I understand how it all works, I just wasn't sure if it would harm my plants. My water tastes great. It hasn't shown any bad effects as of yet... just that my friend had mentioned it to me, and we both weren't sure what everyone else thoguht about the idea.

Thanks

Offlinefantasy2reality
 User Gallery

Re: water softener?????? (moved) [Re: Chronicbs]
    #90628 - 07/22/08 04:36 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Chronicbs said:
Quote:

fantasy2reality said:

Cant you go out and tap the faucet on the well before it goes into the softener?  The good thing about using hard well water is you won't need to use Cal Mag+  on your plants.

I can redirect the flow of the whole system so that it does not go into the softener. I do that for my vegetables during the hotter months when we don't have as much natural watering

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag