Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineEleutherios

Box design & Ventilation
    #89509 - 07/20/08 09:51 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

So I'm going to running a 250 watt hps in a 3ft w x 2ft d x 6ft h box. That's my idea anyways. I wanted it taller so that the pots won't be too much of an issue. Also so that I can rock it with some sativa dominate genetics. The HPS is housed in an air cooled reflector. I plan on running CO2 in the set up. My question is, Do I need a fan pumping air into the unit if the hood is air cooled? I will have a circulation fan and an exhaust fan for sure, but it just didn't seem that necessary to have one pumping in air also. As far as materials for the box, would thick plywood be enough or am I going to need reinforcement as well? I will be building an 18inch by 20inch and I'm not sure how high yet, veg box.I plan on setting this up on top of the flowering. Point being, that the flowering box will need to support some weight. Also in an enclosure this size, how many mother plants, kept trimmed down, could be housed? What size pots would be ideal for this? Thank you for your time.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineChronicbs

Re: Box design & Ventilation [Re: Eleutherios]
    #89536 - 07/20/08 10:32 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

You absolutely do not need an intake fan just a fan pumping the hot air out. The air will replace itself from the air outside the box automatically.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Box design & Ventilation [Re: Chronicbs]
    #89592 - 07/20/08 11:45 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

don't get ahead of yourself there :wink:  What chronicbs said is true, BUT, your box needs to have proper ventilation to let the air exchange.  IMO, do a dry run with the lights on and see how hot it gets.  If you're having trouble keeping the temps down, there's nothing wrong with adding another small fan to move the air from outside to in.  That's how i run my setup.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineEleutherios

Re: Box design & Ventilation [Re: coda]
    #89613 - 07/21/08 12:17 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks guys. That seems like very sound advice Coda. As far as the structural integrity of the setup, do you think maybe 1x3 support beams are in order. How many mother plants ("bonsai" style) could fit in the setup described and what sized containers should I be looking at?

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #89807 - 07/21/08 10:55 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

well, if the whole box is plywood, i would definitely support it with something.  You definitely don't want to be hanging your reflector from just a plywood ceiling, if it comes crashing down you're in a shit load of trouble.  Not only would you crush your plants, you run the risk of starting a fire, and you'll probably destroy your bulb.

Quote:

How many mother plants ("bonsai" style) could fit in the setup described and what sized containers should I be looking at?

if you're keeping your plants true to bonsai (small and bushy) you most likely won't need anything more then a one gal container.  Rule of thumb is this, for every foot you want your plant to be at, use one gallon.  So, a 2 ft plant would require a 2 gallon pot, etc.  I don't know dimensions of pots off hand, but, get square pots and you could probably fit between 5-10 plants.

--------------------

OfflineEleutherios

Re: Box design & Ventilation [Re: coda]
    #89825 - 07/21/08 11:23 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Would it work to veg the cuttings and flower the seedlings to determine sex? I have some Jack Herrer x Northern Lights that a friend gave me. I KNOW I want a mom from that shit. I also have a few seeds from some very respectable bag seed. At any rate micro propigation is all I'm really after. I do want variety though. I know that the rule of thumb is 1 gal per foot. I wonder how universal it is though. I mean I get a good number of plants that are bigger than or equal to a foot from the nursry that are in tiny pots. So I was wondering if you keep your plant pruned and trim the roots twice a year, if you could get by with less and how much less. Coda I really appreciate your patience and thought out answers. I just kind of have the new puppy jitters (get too much shit/not sure what to expect) so to speak. I've never done an indoor grow and I just want to make sure that I have everything tip-top before I start running it.

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #89878 - 07/21/08 12:15 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Well, technically you can get away with keeping bonsai moms in nothing more then a solo cup.  Just keep in mind the bigger you want your plant to be, the more roots will be needed to support it.  IMO the less you disturb the root system the better.  If you decide to keep your moms in small pots, just pay attention to them, they'll tell you when they need some work.  The only reason i suggest a larger pot is that it's less work for you, and less chance of a problem hitting you.  The thing is with soil is that when problems hit, they can be harder to treat then say with a hydro system.  So you just have to keep a watchful eye on them.

Quote:

Would it work to veg the cuttings and flower the seedlings to determine sex?

yep, that would work, or you could do it the other way and flower the cuttings and keep the seedlings.  I would rather do the latter because your seedlings are already rooted and on their way to being bushed out by you, it would save you some time since your cuttings will have to grow out too.  Also keep in mind that if you flower your plants before they are sexually mature, they will take a bit longer to show sex.  So don't expect to see pre-flowers within a few days of flipping the lights on them.

Quote:

Coda I really appreciate your patience and thought out answers. I just kind of have the new puppy jitters (get too much shit/not sure what to expect) so to speak. I've never done an indoor grow and I just want to make sure that I have everything tip-top before I start running it.

no worries, that's what this forum is for!  It's best to ask questions BEFORE.  As much as it helps to read, there's nothing like hands on experience.  Your first couple of grows may be a little shaky, but once you get the hang of things, it all becomes a lot easier :smile:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder