Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineChronica

Loc: Canada
Clone question
    #86133 - 07/17/08 01:43 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I have 4 clones flowering, was doing it with small pots similar to the way the cups are done. im wondering though. if i give them bigger pots will it effect my yield?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Clone question [Re: Chronica]
    #86215 - 07/17/08 04:04 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

if you're flowering small clones you won't need to give them much rootspace.  I wouldn't suggest it, transplanting during flowering can actually be counterproductive.  It's best to transplant before flowering.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineChronica

Re: Clone question [Re: coda]
    #86486 - 07/17/08 09:29 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

So the extra roots wouldnt effect the yield any? And being rootbound wouldnt effect it? Sucks, i transplanted two of them before you replied. But, I didnt mess up any roots or anything the soiless medium stays together niceley when its covered with roots. So i dont think it should cause stress if the roots arent injured. Correct?

OfflineChronicbs

#86524 - 07/17/08 10:04 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Extra roots will increase yield but they won't grow if the plant is already in full blown flower. (several weeks in)  At this point being rootbound will only increase the frequency you have to water.

If you just barely put them into flower and they haven't stretched yet, then it would still be a good idea to transplant them.  After stretch, pretty pointless imo.

Edited by Chronicbs (07/17/08 10:04 PM)

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #86526 - 07/17/08 10:05 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

it won't, but the transplant will stall any growth of your plant.  What size pots were they in before the transplant, how long were they in those pots in veg, and how long has it been since you flipped the lights to 12/12.

Bigger roots can mean bigger buds, but, if you have a 12 inch clone you're flowering, you don't need a massive root system to support it.  You can flower a clone and produce a nice looking cola in just a solo plastic cup.

--------------------

OfflineChronica

#86530 - 07/17/08 10:09 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
it won't, but the transplant will stall any growth of your plant.  What size pots were they in before the transplant, how long were they in those pots in veg, and how long has it been since you flipped the lights to 12/12.

Bigger roots can mean bigger buds, but, if you have a 12 inch clone you're flowering, you don't need a massive root system to support it.  You can flower a clone and produce a nice looking cola in just a solo plastic cup.

Quote:

but the transplant will stall any growth of your plant.

How so? Im wondering how the plant would notice it at all if the roots werent murdered during the transplant.

They look pretty good atm, the ones that are in small pots still have somewhat droopy leaves due to being rootbound and the transplanted ones have perked up.

About a week and a half into 12/12.

No veg growth in those pots. Straight to 12/12.

Quote:

I got room for them to have bigger pots so I figured it would be better than being root bound. You said you can make a nice cola out of the small pot, but would it overall be better in a bigger pot? I want to post pics but cant. Have to get a cam, which I will try to get one sometime.

OfflineChronicbs

#86539 - 07/17/08 10:18 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Chronica said:
Im wondering how the plant would notice it at all if the roots werent murdered during the transplant.

About a week and a half into 12/12.

No veg growth in those pots. Straight to 12/12.

I got room for them to have bigger pots so I figured it would be better than being root bound. You said you can make a nice cola out of the small pot,

It shouldn't stunt it much at all if you are gentle but it does stress the plant.

At a 18 days if its a 60 day strain it wont grow more roots and is already in full flower.  The benefit you get from transplanting them (at this point) is that they will take longer to dry out.

Edited by Chronicbs (07/17/08 10:26 PM)

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #86540 - 07/17/08 10:19 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

ok, well if you transplanted  a week and a 1/2 into flowering, you'll be ok.  Plants will stall during any transplant, you're removing the root mass from it's happy place and placing it into a new environment.  The plant will stall for a bit because it will divert energy into producing new roots to search for water.  The stalling doesn't last long, and it won't affect you negatively this early in flower.

You're plants weren't rootbound, especially if there was no veg period.  There's no way a plant will become rootbound in a week and a 1/2.  It takes about 9 months of growth to become rootbound in a 3 gallon pot.

--------------------

OfflineChronica

#86542 - 07/17/08 10:21 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
ok, well if you transplanted  a week and a 1/2 into flowering, you'll be ok.  Plants will stall during any transplant, you're removing the root mass from it's happy place and placing it into a new environment.  The plant will stall for a bit because it will divert energy into producing new roots to search for water.  The stalling doesn't last long, and it won't affect you negatively this early in flower.

You're plants weren't rootbound, especially if there was no veg period.  There's no way a plant will become rootbound in a week and a 1/2.  It takes about 9 months of growth to become rootbound in a 3 gallon pot.

Keep in mind they were in very small pots. I think they are 4". The root mass was all over that soilless medium, covered the bottom and all. So do they quit growing roots at a certain point in flowering?

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #86555 - 07/17/08 10:32 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

i wouldn't say they outright quit, but root production generally slows after the plant is finished stretching out.  By 4" pots, do you mean diameter, or height?

--------------------

OfflineChronicbs

#86556 - 07/17/08 10:34 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Chronica said:
So do they quit growing roots at a certain point in flowering?

Plants don't suddenly flower the second you put them in 12/12, it takes a week or two.  After a week or two the plant stops veg and root growth and only focuses on bud production.

OfflineChronica

#86557 - 07/17/08 10:35 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
i wouldn't say they outright quit, but root production generally slows after the plant is finished stretching out.  By 4" pots, do you mean diameter, or height?

Diameter, they were pretty small in hieght, not even as tall as a cup.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #86558 - 07/17/08 10:37 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

look about right?

--------------------

OfflineChronica

#86559 - 07/17/08 10:37 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

yea, they look wider tho, these are as tall as the diameter so 4" width and hieght.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #86560 - 07/17/08 10:38 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

The benefit you get from transplanting them (at this point) is that they will take longer to dry out.

that's not a benefit, that's a negative.

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #86562 - 07/17/08 10:39 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Chronica said:
yea, they look wider tho, these are as tall as the diameter so 4" width and hieght.

Yah, something that small you would have to do a transplant no doubt.  I was under the impression you were in at least a 1/2 gallon pot as it's one of the more popular choices for SOG growing (although 1 gal's are what's recommended)

--------------------

OfflineChronica

#86565 - 07/17/08 10:49 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
Quote:

Chronica said:

Yah, something that small you would have to do a transplant no doubt.  I was under the impression you were in at least a 1/2 gallon pot as it's one of the more popular choices for SOG growing (although 1 gal's are what's recommended)

I figured if cups would work they would work. The bigger pot they upgraded to is a 1gal. Im going to buy some 1/2 gals for next time. Its only four clones under a 250watt. Im hoping I can pull near and ounce off them. man, when these plants start making pistils they dont play, they start making pistils. Theyl be around a month in before my guano gets here which kind of sucks. Should I just apply it with water as if it were a chem fert?

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #86601 - 07/17/08 11:18 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

guano comes in pellets, to make a tea you need to let it steep in warm water for at least 24 hours.  I think the usual ratio is around 2-3 tbsp per gal.

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #86607 - 07/17/08 11:21 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I figured if cups would work they would work.

It should work, but if you're saying your pots were smaller then the ones in that pic they were too small.  If they were smaller then solo cups they're too small.  Height of your pot is just as, if not more, important as the width.  Plants roots grow down vertically before branching out sideways.  In all honesty, you probably could have gotten away with it just fine.  But, i dunno, i've had seedlings that were just 3-4 inches tall in peat pots that needed a transplant.  Happened during my first grow and i lost a large portion of my plants before i figured out what was wrong.

--------------------

OfflineChronica

#86737 - 07/18/08 02:02 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Yea man these pots are 4 inches tall, and have a 4 inch diameter, they have the widht on the cups, but not the hieght which is probably more important.

Quote:

But, i dunno, i've had seedlings that were just 3-4 inches tall in peat pots that needed a transplant.

I also had some seedlings in these 4 inchers and they needed to be transplanted earlier than expected.

Edited by Chronica (07/18/08 03:45 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains