Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinewild_aussie
King of nothing
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Up my ass
How to tell when is time to switch to 12/12 indoor soil
    #856590 - 05/09/22 11:57 PM (1 year, 11 months ago)

Hey was wondering when or how you can tell when a plant is ready for the switch.  I've read you'll see pistils showing does anyone share a pic . Please help.thanks

--------------------
" he who makes a beast of himself gets rid the pain of being a man" Samuel Johnson

"There he goes one of gods own prototypes never meant for mass production.  To weird to live to rare to die" Hunter S Thompson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineyoosername
Strange

Loc: Somewhere under the Sun
Re: How to tell when is time to switch to 12/12 indoor soil [Re: wild_aussie]
    #856591 - 05/10/22 06:41 AM (1 year, 11 months ago)

It's another one of those things that you have to acquire an eye for with experience, both overall as a grower and with the specific strain you are running.

The idea is to have a nice even canopy of tops, while keeping the plant manageable.  Some strains will stretch over 1 foot a week during the first three weeks of flower.  You won't really know how much yours will stretch until you have run it before, that's why the first grow of a new strain should be focused on learning and dialing in the environment, rather than going for production.

I underestimated the stretch of a strain I just took down, the tops ended up about 1 foot too close to the light.  Some of them fried, one of them bleached, and the mid/lowers ended up being frostier than the tops.

Offlinelouisbell
Stranger

Re: How to tell when is time to switch to 12/12 indoor soil [Re: yoosername]
    #856594 - 05/10/22 07:22 AM (1 year, 11 months ago)

Quote:

yoosername said:
It's another one of those things that you have to acquire an eye for with experience, both overall as a grower and with the specific strain you are running.

The idea is to have a nice even canopy of tops, while keeping the plant manageable.  Some strains will stretch over 1 foot a week during the first three weeks of flower.  You won't really know how much yours will stretch until you have run it before, that's why the first grow of a new strain should be focused on learning and dialing in the environment, rather than going for production.

I underestimated the stretch of a strain I just took down, the tops ended up about 1 foot too close to the light.  Some of them fried, one of them bleached, and the mid/lowers ended up being frostier than the tops.

^This

I could have pulled a much better yield in the grow in my signature had I switched earlier. Research your strain, lights, and my advice is to flip sooner rather than later with more rather than less plants. You can grow from 12.12 and have viable flowers, just very small plants. Nothing other than the predicted size and height of your canopy can tell you when to flip an indoor plant to flower.

OfflineKid Charlemagne
New but not new

Loc: Wa PNW
Re: How to tell when is time to switch to 12/12 indoor soil [Re: wild_aussie]
    #860799 - 09/03/23 10:52 AM (7 months, 8 days ago)

When I was growing, we would go by stalk thickness, and yoosername is spot on, I grew some white widow and them puppies are bushy AF, and they really like to spread out. Another thing to consider is manageability as well, longer it is in veg the more involved it is to manage it. When you are budding 247 plants a crop it becomes something that really needs to be considered. Bigger the canopy, the more flower in the end. And as stated earlier, it all depends on the strain.
Much luck to ya brother.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies