Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinekreg

Alternatives to SCROGing
    #854173 - 12/21/21 12:29 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

Im not a scrog guy.  Ive never believed the hype, and I dont think I ever will because thats all it is, hype. I would love to discuss with you all the reasons I dont like scrogs:
  • must have uniform set of plants
  • plants must be fems or clones of, cant do reg vegs
  • can't trim easily
  • makes it harder to look at your corner plants
  • difficult to break one out from the middle if ever necessary

it just seems like a giant pain to me. Im still a noob maybe ill come around way later but for now I dont think so. Ive had some of my best runs so far combining bamboo stakes and soft ties, nothing out of ordinary just tied and weighed down branches, then in flower switch to supportive structure to hold it up. What are your thoughts on scrog alternatives?

--------------------
This site is dead and nobody here is even growing

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineyoosername
Strange

Loc: Somewhere under the Sun
Re: Alternatives to SCROGing [Re: kreg]
    #854184 - 12/21/21 02:20 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

Best scrog alternative is probably SOG, or sea of green.  Packing as many plants as you can fit into a space, you can minimize veg time and get great yields without a scrog net. 

I personally like scrogs, I'm working on setting up a grow in my bathroom where I plan to scrog 9 plants in a 3x3 tray, trained out to a roughly 3.5 x 5 area.  I bought a bunch of plastic netting from the hydro store, some wall hangers, and some soft wire tie.  Trying to get maximum yield with a shorter veg time, so I have 9 identical clones ready to go.

I also plan to use grow genius silica to help strengthen the stems in veg, and control the stretch during early flower due to height restrictions.

Offlinekreg

Re: Alternatives to SCROGing [Re: yoosername]
    #854199 - 12/21/21 07:22 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

I havent heard of SOG like that, hmm. Silica is good shit, cant go wrong with brand really.

OfflineSugabearcrisp
Doobee Bear

#854223 - 12/22/21 05:31 AM (2 years, 3 months ago)

Most of the issues you describe are solved by modular scrogging, which is where you attach the screen to the individual plant container instead of putting all your plants under a big screen. There used to be a tek by a cat named bigfatj but I will try to explain. Basically you take a metal coat hanger and bend it into a square and then make a grid with twist tie. This makes a roughly 1 foot square screen which you attach to the container/bucket with metal skewers.

Because it is modular you can move the plants or remove a plant. You can even do perpetual grows. In regards to males you just wait till they have shown sex before putting the screen on.

Offlinekreg

Re: Alternatives to SCROGing [Re: Sugabearcrisp]
    #854233 - 12/22/21 07:03 AM (2 years, 3 months ago)

That's aaaaaaawesome I love it! I was thinking about modular scrogging before I was stuck trying to figure out something to hold the net like that, was thinking maybe tomato cages, that looks a little more manageable though! Could that(Should that??) be stacked into layers of 2 or more if I wanted to do a larger plant? or would that defeat the purpose? I thought I had seen grows before were people have 2 or more layers of net going

Offlinekreg

Re: Alternatives to SCROGing [Re: kreg] * 1
    #854234 - 12/22/21 07:12 AM (2 years, 3 months ago)

btw mentioning this grow "tek" I made another post in website feedback sub, I think we should try to get a Big Ultimate beginner grow tek thread going at the getting started sub just like shroomery has, although we're missing teks! We have just as many steps to cover in weed from germination, seedling care, vegging and training, cloning, flowering, nutrient issues and more!! Fuck all the damn money I lost on the way coming up listening to all the people around me trying to shill me products instead of helping me, I hope we can save some noobs some time and money the way shroomery helped me out! If I can gather a list of teks or even get links of grow teks that I can rewrite here, I'll make it happen.

OfflineSugabearcrisp
Doobee Bear

#854291 - 12/22/21 04:24 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

Hey kreg, never felt the need to have another layer of screen on top or really heard of that as a thing. If you were running bigger buckets you might go bigger squares but all the training is under ome screen.

The way I was doing it 1 square foot per plant was enough going pretty quickly into flower once you get nicely rooted. For the next two weeks you bend the plant under the screen till you get a node on each grid and trim below for next rounds clones.

Growing with hps in small spaces i would allow the outer branches to get a little longer to create a stadium. After week 2 or 3 you stop training and let er go.

The other thing with dwc hydro I was able to lift the plant, air stones and scrog in unison with the lid to a fresh bucket when changing water. I gotta dig up a pic.

Modular scrog in a perpetual cycle is really a nice way to hobby grow. Really a requirement for cabinet grows. 

I would be down to contribute to teks. Was thinking of reposting my cabinet growing tutorials here.

Offlinekreg

Re: Alternatives to SCROGing [Re: Sugabearcrisp]
    #854303 - 12/22/21 05:11 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

Thank you! :takingnotes: I just fim'd my fastest girl I think im gonna fasten her in now

Offlinekreg

#854304 - 12/22/21 05:21 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

I'm in a tight spot I don't have any wire clothes hangers or even the spare 2 bucks to get a few, but I just figured out that you could cut a tomato cage into sections of little table shapes good for a net! Doing that now with a shitty flimsy old tomato cage i never used!

Offlinekreg

#854306 - 12/22/21 05:32 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

huueeeehuehueeee

since i dont have smaller net either ill just spider web another piece over it skewed later

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies