Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinenidafjoll
Stranger
Ventilation setup for 2x2 grow tent
    #844782 - 05/01/20 07:35 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Hi everyone,
I am trying to figure out the best exhaust configuration for my grow tent. The tent will be a Mars Hydro of cm 70x70x160 (inch 28x28x64). First of all, I would like to ask for suggestions on online grow shops inside of Europe to buy from, if that's allowed. If not forget I asked. Amazon's prices are kind of high compared to other websites I've seen, eBay doesn't have that much stuff in my country when it comes to fans for some reason. Any other online shop would be amazing, I've found plenty but if you could recommend some specific one.

I have used the following formula to calculate the volume of air exchange needed per hour:
[(volume of tent + 25% volume of tent)/3]*2*60=39,3 m3/h
I divided by 3 since the volume needs to be exchanged every 3 minutes, the 25% increase is to account for the resistance of the filter, times 2 to account for the resistance of tubing (very short anyway, so probably an overestimation), times 60 to convert m3/min to m3/hour.

This far, I have found this carbon filter and I was thinking of getting the smaller one: 100x200 (should be a 4") rated at 170 m3/h, which from what I understand is the maximum amount of air that can be effectively filtered every minute. I read that the power of the fan should be less than the maximum capacity of the filter (20% was suggested). This is where I run into problems, as the only fans I could find that are rated at less than 136 m3/h (170 minus 20%) and equal or more than 39,3 m3/h (the minimum exchange rate for ideal plant development), are of this kind, and I found them on many different websites but they all look the same. They are rated for little more than 100 m3/h, so theoretically they should be perfect, but I've also read in multiple places that they are called booster fans and that booster fans cannot be used along with carbon filters. Also I read that they actually deliver less air flux than they are rated for, and that they don't last long. A bigger fan like this, which from what I've read is much much better, is rated for 145 m3/h on low and 187 m3/h on high. This means I could only run it on low otherwise I would exceed the capacity of the filter. Would this be a good setup? I'd rather not get a bigger filter for such a small tent, or a speed regulator since good ones are kind of pricey. Also I'm afraid that if I were to scale things up and use the fan on the strong setting, even with a bigger filter, there would be too much air exchange. Let me know what you guys think, thanks in advance.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineThe_Enternational
Stranger
Re: Ventilation setup for 2x2 grow tent [Re: nidafjoll]
    #844806 - 05/03/20 03:30 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Hello Nida,

I want to start by saying I think you are headed in a good direction. You have obviously done a considerable amount of research and have the right incentives for your grow.

I myself had purchased a fan almost exactly like the 2nd one linked (the white one, it may have been the exact same fan). I found it to do the job well for a 3 gallon carbon filter and eliminated much of the smell. However, I did notice that it would sometimes run rather clunkily (oddly).

I have just returned from a long hiatus of stepping out of the cannabis grow culture myself, and remembered a special method that may be of interest for you in terms of ventilation.

It seems an ideal system in terms of consolidating exhaust and the cooling of the lighting system in a single exhaust line. Perhaps it could be of use to you by opening more area for growth in the tent as well as reducing costs.

Odin's wishes,
-The_Enternational

--------------------
" Advice given by others

is often ill counsel. "

- Havamal

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies