Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineBl2hg7
Stranger
 User Gallery
Understanding Lighting in Your grow
    #844716 - 04/29/20 03:16 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Would you help me understanding lighting for my grow tent 3ftby 3ft. My understanding this will work for my veg to flower? If not what specifications should I look for in comparison to what I have. I really appreciate your time in advance this is real important to me thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblebEelzeBosS
Are my eyes red?

Re: Understanding Lighting in Your grow [Re: Bl2hg7]
    #844717 - 04/29/20 03:56 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

That will be plenty for veg but will not penetrate deep enough for flower. Your main colas will be decent but after that you'll likely have nothing but popcorn buds.

This is what I'm using in a 4' X 4' tent, first harvest after cure was about 1.2 grams/watt. Your light draws less than a quarter wattage what mine draws in a tent only 1' X 1' smaller...you do the math.

Edited by bEelzeBosS (04/29/20 04:10 PM)

OfflineBl2hg7
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Understanding Lighting in Your grow [Re: bEelzeBosS]
    #844719 - 04/29/20 05:23 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Hey I really appreciate you talking with me. So I can probably get by through the whole veg stage. What specs should I be looking for that can complete the whole process veg to complete flower. Thanks again

OfflineThe_Enternational
Stranger

Re: Understanding Lighting in Your grow [Re: Bl2hg7]
    #844812 - 05/04/20 07:19 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

In theory, that should be enough to flower. Perhaps not with maximum results though. I might recommend something like this apparatus:

It has four separate arms that you can bend to apply light to where you specifically need it. Plants don't typically receive such lighting in nature, and I think it could benefit your plant grown indoors. It also adds another 80 watts.

However, if you are budget restricted, I wouldn't recommend getting another light. The one you asked about should initiate flowering and produce at least an acceptable yield/result.

EDIT: The recommended light was meant to be in addition to a main light; not as a light all by itself.

--------------------
" Advice given by others

is often ill counsel. "

- Havamal

Edited by The_Enternational (05/04/20 07:20 AM)

OfflineCannabrainz
Grower
Male

Re: Understanding Lighting in Your grow [Re: The_Enternational] * 1
    #844817 - 05/04/20 08:04 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Be careful getting LED too close,  I've had white buds from the light bleaching.

Offlinehockeye
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Understanding Lighting in Your grow [Re: Cannabrainz]
    #844829 - 05/04/20 07:39 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Now that is a good thing to know how close should LED lights be during veg and flower as my light has three separate settings Blue, White, Red. now I have been using blue and white for veg is that right or what combo is best? Sorry as my first year using LED. Found it confusing as so much info conflicts each other. Thanks

OfflinesuperETA
Stranger
Re: Understanding Lighting in Your grow [Re: hockeye] * 1
    #845040 - 05/19/20 08:25 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

I'd rather you learn the reasoning behind those color spectrums than get direct answers from people. I'm not going to get into Kelvin values and their effect on plants, you can research that yourself. Google images of "cannabis kelvin chart" should yield you some good results.

Think of it in terms of nature. The photo-periods (vegetative and flowering) for cannabis  plants is coded into their genetics because of nature. They generally grow from Early spring to late summer. In Early spring, in most areas of the Earth, the days grow longer, sunrise/set is shorter.

This means that plants spend more time in direct UV sunlight, which is primarily white and blue light. Think about light timing when you switch to flower, it goes from 18 to 12. This represents the change in late summer, when days get shorter and we have those long, beautiful sunsets.

This is where red spectrum comes into play. In the late summer, the plants spend less time in direct UV (blue and white) light, and more time in red light. This is because the sunlight is filtered through the atmosphere during sunrise and sunset, filtering out the white and blue and turning the light red.

So the reason your switches are there is because your plants don't need any red light at all during the vegetative state. However to get them the maximum light as possible, use blue+white together. The only time you should have a light with just blue or just white is if is an additional supplemental light, or you have tiny clones/seedlings.

So, lesson learned? Blue+white for vegetative state, switch the red light on during flower so you have all three.

I would recommend a supplemental red lighting fixture if you want to maximize flowering. For instance, a small 100-200W HPS bulb, or a small red led strip. Since you current LED is 600w and youre in a small tent you don't want your total wattage to be too high. Keep that in mind when adding supplemental lighting.

And about distance - it depends on the manufacturer! Some LED lights come stronger with deeper penetration. What i like to do is get some white printer paper, and move it away from the light and around the tent. The brightness of the paper will reflect how much light is getting to different parts of the tent. This works for any type of lighting

Peace,
superETA

Edited by superETA (05/19/20 08:26 AM)

OfflinesuperETA
Stranger
Re: Understanding Lighting in Your grow [Re: superETA]
    #845041 - 05/19/20 08:28 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Fun fact - this is why LEDs appear purple! They use a mix of 100% red and 100% blue diodes together

OfflineThe_Enternational
Stranger

Re: Understanding Lighting in Your grow [Re: superETA]
    #845128 - 05/25/20 06:28 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

That's interesting, instead of just having 50% of each. I wonder if the intensity is stronger, because the mcd of red LEDs is usually 1/10th the level of blue ones from my understanding.

--------------------
" Advice given by others

is often ill counsel. "

- Havamal

Offlinegrowmore
 User Gallery

Re: Understanding Lighting in Your grow [Re: The_Enternational]
    #845367 - 06/07/20 02:08 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

This fourm isnt what it used to be it seem really slow as in not very active. I hope it picks up some. So with LED lights I think they are grate for UV rays but they lack the plasma to take up phosphorus efficiently. This is why i would recommend a 600 watt HPS for flowering. You can get away with using it for 2hrs first thing lights on and the last 2hrs befor lights off and use your LED lighting for the rest. unless you are able to keep your room cool enough to run them nonstop without having heat problems.If the room dose run hot just add some CO2 and you should have no problems running a hot grow room. Hope this helps a little.

OfflineAbilor
Cannabis Shaman

Re: Understanding Lighting in Your grow [Re: growmore]
    #845396 - 06/11/20 12:05 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

^^^^ What he said.

I started growing with the classic MH for veg, HPS for flower back in the day, and still use it on my autoflowers. Skipped the blurple generation, and am now excited to go to full-spectrum LED.

An HPS with a hood and centrifugal fan is the key to some outrageous flower development, and only full-spectrum is what I've seen rival it, wattage at the wall be damned.

OfflineThe_Enternational
Stranger

Re: Understanding Lighting in Your grow [Re: growmore]
    #845842 - 06/27/20 06:30 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

growmore said:
If the room dose run hot just add some CO2 and you should have no problems running a hot grow room. Hope this helps a little.

Might I ask, how does this work. I am very interested in working with higher temp grow rooms and would benefit a lot from such a technique.

Your light strategy is really interesting as well.

Quote:

Cannabrainz said:
Be careful getting LED too close,  I've had white buds from the light bleaching.

After reviewing this thread, this quote encouraged me to inquire:

"What elements/gasses do they use in LEDs to achieve such potent (albeit at times nauseating) lighting"?

They must be considerably powerful, hence the 100w to 1000w conversion ratio. I don't have many problems with them, except for when I am working in a grow area and they seem to pulse...without actually changing.

My fear is that they are not as safe per se as HIDs. Almost as if they are the same components used in strobe lights...or worse, light powered weapons. (fingers crossed)

--------------------
" Advice given by others

is often ill counsel. "

- Havamal

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order