Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFrozenReality
 User Gallery

Is this enough light?
    #81817 - 07/13/08 11:03 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Okay so i gave in and bought some lights from htgsupply cause they gave me a discount cause of somecomplications with them last year.

I got the "HTG Supply 2 Foot 2 Lamp PL-55 Tek Lamp" and 2 grow bulbs and 2 bloom bulbs. The fixture can hold 2 bulbs at a time and each bulb puts out 5000 lumens, so 10,000 for the fixture.

http://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=51907

Does anyone know if this would be enough light for a few lowryders start to finish, or should i find some cfl to wire up also. The grow area is 3' x 2'

Oh and of course there will be reflective mylar on the walls of the grow area.

Edited by FrozenReality (07/13/08 11:10 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is this enough light? [Re: FrozenReality]
    #81823 - 07/13/08 11:21 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

If it is only a few lowryders, I think that it should be enough lumens. The plants would all need to fit pretty much directly underneath and right around the bulbs though, I would think, so consider that when thinking of how many to actually run.

--------------------

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

Loc: KOREA
Re: Is this enough light? [Re: Sirius]
    #81878 - 07/13/08 12:42 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

My 400w hps from htg broke in less than 2 weeks of use. Now I have to call them and use the warranty. Which I hyope they dont make me send this ballast back unless they cover shipping because I cant even buy nutes atm let alone waste money on shipping a item thats broke.

And I know someone else whose broke about 2 months in. Make sure to get a warranty.

--------------------
:advisory:

“If you want to find out who your real friends are, sink the ship. The first ones to jump aren’t your friends.” — Marilyn Manson

This isn't the correct place to confront me on anything.

Forum full of dead stars, and a necro I called Coma White

Edited by Laysthepipe (07/13/08 02:57 PM)

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is this enough light? [Re: Laysthepipe]
    #81887 - 07/13/08 12:49 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I've read a lot of questionable stuff about HTGSupply, a lot of stories similar to what you're saying.

--------------------

OfflineFrozenReality
 User Gallery

Re: Is this enough light? [Re: Laysthepipe]
    #81897 - 07/13/08 12:53 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah i had a 1000 watt i bought from them and the first package that came, the reflector had a small bent piece of metal that the hanger attaches to but it could be bent back, but i had them send me a new one and they told me to hold onto the old one just in case ups wanted to check it for insurance purposes. The bulb that came with it had broken glass in it but they said it would work just fine. Well 2 weeks in the bulb burned out, so they sent me a new one but they were out of the low quality ones so they sent me a really expensive bulb. Than like a month later the ballast stopped working. So i sent them everything but the old reflector and got a full refund (-10% restocking fee) and the guy that does returns contacted me saying that he has never seen someone put so much care and work into packaging the product for return and said for now on they will give me a discount. and yeah the light system i ordered this time didnt cost nearly as much and there is a warranty on everything, including the bulbs. (and i still have the old euro reflector w/glass insert that they completely forgot about or dont care about cause the insurance replaced it)

Good luck dealing with them, im not going to go through them to get any expensive items anymore, but hey 10,000 lumens for 70 bucks that fits in 2 foot by 1 foot space, had to try that out.

InvisibleSRH
Male

#82176 - 07/13/08 04:22 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

thats the light I use for my mushys, I doubt it will produce a good size cannabis crop.

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is this enough light? [Re: SRH]
    #82239 - 07/13/08 05:03 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

He said he was just looking to run a few lowryder plants, so I don't think he's out to break any harvest records or anything. :grin:

Like I was saying earlier though, I have doubts that it would work for a floor space of 3x2. It should work well enough for smaller plants like lowryder, provided that they are only grown in the immediate area underneath the fixture. We're talking about two square feet in that case, and I would think that 10,000 lumens should be enough for that. :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleSRH
Male

#82248 - 07/13/08 05:15 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

even with a lowryder strain your not gonna pull more than  1/4 to a 1/2 off each plant if that!!!

floros are for clones & seedlings go get a 250-400watt HID
there $150 at the top end.

If your gonna risk it by growing, DO IT RIGHT!!!

mylar :thumbdown:
Use double sided 2-4mm Black/white plastic.
most hydro shops carry it, mylar is like using tinfoil!

OfflineFrozenReality
 User Gallery

#82278 - 07/13/08 05:52 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

HID gives off too much heat for such a small grow area and i dont really want to be drilling large holes in a beautiful mahogany external closet for venting. Mainly going to use this just to grow a few plants at a time. trying to stock up on seeds for the next outdoor grow season. 1/4-1/2 sounds perfect as long as they are seedy as fuck ;]

InvisibleSRH
Male

#82369 - 07/13/08 06:50 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

sounds good!!
good luck!

OfflineFrozenReality
 User Gallery

#82565 - 07/13/08 09:20 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks, and Im thinking it would be a good idea to use one grow bulb and one bloom bulb through the whole grow. Since its autoflowers. probably a 18/6 lighting. Ill let everyone know how it goes. And of course save some pollen (if i have any males) to trade on here if they ever decide if pollen trading will be allowed.

Edited by FrozenReality (07/13/08 09:52 PM)

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #82896 - 07/14/08 03:47 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SRH said:
even with a lowryder strain your not gonna pull more than  1/4 to a 1/2 off each plant if that!!!

There's a lot of indoor growers who will use nothing but CFL's and fluorescents, and even though they obviously couldn't match the benefits of growing underneath HID lamps, I have seen no reason to believe that those using fluorescents and CFL's throughout the whole grow in the right way are not "doing it right".

How have you determined that he would not pull more than a quarter to one half an ounce on each plant with that setup?

Quote:

I personally prefer black/white plastic as well, but I think it should be pretty clear that mylar works perfectly well, considering the large amount of people who use it in their grow rooms, and that it is also clear that it is not like using tinfoil.

--------------------

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

#82952 - 07/14/08 08:53 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

i like your avatar :wink:

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

InvisibleSRH
Male

#83608 - 07/14/08 11:36 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Sirius said:
Quote:

SRH said:

There's a lot of indoor growers who will use nothing but CFL's and fluorescents, and even though they obviously couldn't match the benefits of growing underneath HID lamps, I have seen no reason to believe that those using fluorescents and CFL's throughout the whole grow in the right way are not "doing it right".

How have you determined that he would not pull more than a quarter to one half an ounce on each plant with that setup?

Quote:

I personally prefer black/white plastic as well, but I think it should be pretty clear that mylar works perfectly well, considering the large amount of people who use it in their grow rooms, and that it is also clear that it is not like using tinfoil.

Well in the first place I never said that you couldn't use and or shouldn't use CFL's and fluorescents!!!
I said there best for clones & seedlings!
& if you wanna spend the money might as well get A HID

using CFL's and fluorescents to grow BUD is a joke!!!
IMO

+ Mylar gives off hot spots Just like tin foil does, just not as much!!

LMAO @ Sirius :dumblol:

OfflineFrozenReality
 User Gallery

#83644 - 07/14/08 11:51 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9280

The guy on there grows lowryders with a couple weaker cfl through the whole grow and his shit turns out amazing. Also gives some good information on growing and nutes and stuff.

here are some pics of his finished grow. It gave me a little more hope and trust in fluorescents

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #83813 - 07/15/08 03:00 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SRH said:
& if you wanna spend the money might as well get A HID

using CFL's and fluorescents to grow BUD is a joke!!!
IMO

You're not making any sense. There is a list of reasons why some individuals are in situations in which getting a HID just doesn't work for them. Beyond that, there is absolutely no reason using CFL's or fluorescents for flowering won't work out great, provided that the right color temperature and the right light intensity is given. In fact, logically, if the spectrum is the same and the intensity and distribution of the light is made to be the same, there would be absolutely no difference. I've seen plenty of documentation of great buds formed underneath fluorescents. You're confusing the fact that HID usually will work more effectively for flowering than fluorescents or CFL's for meaning that fluorescents and CFL's are worthless for flowering, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Quote:

+ Mylar gives off hot spots Just like tin foil does, just not as much!!

Obviously mylar isn't as effective as panda film or any flat, white surface, regarding the angles at which it reflects light. Obviously it is much better than tin-foil, and obviously there are a great number of growers who seem to be able to use it just fine, all without your input on the matter. :shrug:

--------------------

InvisibleSRH
Male

#84489 - 07/15/08 05:53 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

OMFG!!!

& were are you getting your info from???
it's all here say soo your wasting your time!!

your just one of those people that always has to be right!
Even when your dead WRONG!!!

& those lowryder pics, like I said JOKE!!!

OH by the way, Now I can't even have a opinion without you trying to correct it! yeah, your a good MOD.

Edited by SRH (07/15/08 05:58 PM)

Offlinejust me
GreenThumb
Male

Loc: MO/TX/FL/HI
Re: Is this enough light? [Re: SRH] * 1
    #84580 - 07/15/08 07:08 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

LOUD NOISES

--------------------

-and for all your ETHNO SEEDS needs come see us @ www.freeseedring.nl

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

#84614 - 07/15/08 07:36 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SRH said:
OMFG!!!

& were are you getting your info from???
it's all here say soo your wasting your time!!

your just one of those people that always has to be right!
Even when your dead WRONG!!!

& those lowryder pics, like I said JOKE!!!

OH by the way, Now I can't even have a opinion without you trying to correct it! yeah, your a good MOD.

usually credit is given where it has been earned...

SO PONY UP, SON

got any pics to exemplify this grand knowledge of yours?

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

InvisibleSRH
Male

Re: Is this enough light? [Re: Yrat]
    #85075 - 07/16/08 03:48 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Like I said hearsay, point less.
blah blah blah...

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck