Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

California to Legalize Weed for Everyone
    #69110 - 06/30/08 09:44 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Caught this in the news-feed and wanted to make a permanent post.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8580722

Quote:

veggie said:
I do't think this will pass, but it is Cali so you never know...

California to Legalize Weed for Everyone
June 30, 2008 - laist.com

There is an initiative in the works that could end up on the November ballot that allows for marijuana to be sold to anyone, and anywhere that already sells alcohol. Its being called The Inalienable Rights Enforcement Initiative. From the full text of the measure:

Quote:

This initiative will amend the Constitution of California to defend and safeguard the inalienable rights of the People against infringement by governments and corporations, providing for the lawful growth, sale, and possession of marijuana. Marijuana will be taxed through a system of stamps and licenses--a $5 stamp will be required for the sale of an eighth ounce of marijuana and a $50 annual license will be required for the growth of one marijuana plant. To protect participants and encourage participation in the system, such licenses and stamps will be available anonymously in stores where marijuana is sold.

So instead of getting some quack doctor to give you a prescription for $100 because of your supposed "anxiety" or alleged "insomnia", you will just pay an extra tax each time you buy yourself another 8th.

Aside from allowing all willing adults to be able to buy weed easily, this initiative will start to generate revenue for California, and stimulate our struggling economy. More weed stores means more jobs for Californians, more taxes to be collected, and more people enjoying better weed. And finally marijuana will be put into the same file as Alcohol and Cigarettes where it belongs, instead of it being equated with crack-cocaine and heroine.

The initiative goes on to say why they believe this to be a necessary measure:

Quote:

We also hold these truths to be self-evident-That, as an intoxicant, marijuana is far less harmful to the health and safety of the People than alcohol--That, as a smoking substance, marijuana is far less addictive or harmful to the health of the People than tobacco--That, even though alcohol is harmful to the health and safety of the People, the prohibition of alcohol from 1920 to 1933 only increased the harms associated with alcohol use: criminals seized control of the alcohol market, crime and violence increased greatly, and poverty, unemployment, and corruption flourished, while otherwise lawful alcohol drinkers were treated as "criminals" subject to detention, arrest, and incarceration, even though they had not harmed the rights of anyone--That, as with alcohol prohibition, the prohibition of marijuana has only increased the harms associated with the use of marijuana: criminals control a multi-billion dollar market, crime and violence have increased greatly, and poverty, unemployment, and corruption flourish, while otherwise law-abiding marijuana smokers are treated as "criminals" subject to detention, arrest, and incarceration, even though they have not harmed the rights of anyone-That the history of marijuana prohibition is a history of repeated injuries and infringements upon the inalienable rights, powers, and best interests of the People.

Fuck Yes! Preach on, brothers! They go on to point out that alcohol, tobacco, and big-pharma lobbyists have the politicians that are supposed to represent the People in their back-pockets and serving the interests of the alcohol, tobacco, and big-pharma industries.

Quote:

Despite the harms of marijuana prohibition, politicians persist in imposing and upholding marijuana prohibition, because these politicians are not working for the People--they are working for the corporate executives who financed their campaigns, such as corporate executives in the alcohol industry who want to protect their monopoly on intoxication, corporate executives in the tobacco industry who want to protect their monopoly on smoking, corporate executives in the pharmaceutical industry who want to protect their monopoly on expensive medicines, and corporate executives in the many industries threatened by competition with hemp. These corporate executives pull the strings of the government to perpetuate marijuana prohibition despite its harms, because they do not care about the inalienable rights and best interests of the People--they care about taking as much money from the People as possible. These corporate executives also use their control of the mainstream media to make it seem like marijuana prohibition is a failed attempt to serve the interests of the People, censoring the idea that marijuana prohibition is a successful attempt to serve corporate interests at the expense of the People. For these corporate interests, politicians sacrifice the inalienable rights and best interests of the People. This corruption and corporate influence is worse at the national level, where the People can least afford political influence and the media is most effective at manipulating public debate. Because of this corruption, it is futile for the People to turn to the federal government for protection--because the federal government is the source of the harm. The repeated attempts by the People to reduce the harms of marijuana prohibition have been answered only by repeated injury. The harm from marijuana prohibition is ongoing and the need for relief is urgent. Such is the suffering of the People, and such is the necessity that constrains us to alter our former systems of government. A government with a character marked by every act that defines a tyrant is unfit to be the ruler of a free people. Therefore, appealing to humankind for the rightness of our intentions

They need 694,354 signatures by September, 5, 2008. I think it's totally do-able. Its been over a decade since Proposition 215, the Compassionate Use Act of 1996, was passed with over 5 million votes in favor.

So 12 years later... are we more or less tolerant of recreational use of marijuana? For now, we'll have to wait and see.

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleToiletduk
Head Goon

Loc: Earthfarm 1
Re: California to Legalize Weed for Everyone [Re: Yrat]
    #69175 - 06/30/08 11:05 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Wow! That's great! :awesome: Finally, a law that makes sense.

--------------------

Invisiblebeatyou
Male User Gallery

Loc: 512/atx
Re: California to Legalize Weed for Everyone [Re: Toiletduk]
    #69183 - 06/30/08 11:13 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

hell yes. I'm moving to cali if this happens.

--------------------
this is me on a bar, 3 methrolls (up 4 days), ketamine, and some good acid two years ago.

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Re: California to Legalize Weed for Everyone [Re: beatyou]
    #69578 - 07/01/08 05:15 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Anyone find any information on this?  Perhaps an online petition?  Or the proponents information?

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Offlinefreepain

Re: California to Legalize Weed for Everyone [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #69667 - 07/01/08 09:45 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah i saw that when i went to digg.com today its fucking amazing man!

--------------------
01010011011011010110111101101011011001010010000001110111011001010110010101100100001000000110010101110110011001010111001001111001011001000110000101111001

OfflineaDoS
freedom lover
Male

Loc: land of the free
Re: California to Legalize Weed for Everyone [Re: Yrat]
    #73360 - 07/06/08 01:33 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I doubt that it is going to pass, but I really hope it does.

The shitty thing is it would be a state law, not a federal. So the feds will still come here and bust shops up.

--------------------
"If we could sniff or swallow something that would, for five or six hours each day, abolish our solitude as individuals, atone us with our fellows in a glowing exaltation of affection and make life in all its aspects seem not only worth living, but divinely beautiful and significant, and if this heavenly, world-transfiguring drug were of such a kind that we could wake up next morning with a clear head and an undamaged constitution - then, it seems to me, all our problems (and not merely the one small problem of discovering a novel pleasure) would be wholly solved and earth would become paradise." - Aldous Huxley
GIVE ME OPIATES OR GIVE ME DEATH

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Re: California to Legalize Weed for Everyone [Re: aDoS]
    #81832 - 07/13/08 11:34 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

aDoS said:
I doubt that it is going to pass, but I really hope it does.

The shitty thing is it would be a state law, not a federal. So the feds will still come here and bust shops up.

They'd try, but they certainly aren't busting up every medical club, and the amount of shops they'd have to bust up with this would be much greater, not to mention heightened political tensions that could keep the feds from getting too crazy. :grin:

--------------------

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Re: California to Legalize Weed for Everyone [Re: Sirius]
    #81858 - 07/13/08 12:10 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, if it was legalized people wouldn't be so afraid to "come out of the closet" to protect their rights.  The fed would have chaos on it's hands.  lol.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineBuTtOnMuNcHer
 User Gallery

#82313 - 07/13/08 06:14 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

i would hit up kushmart every day "where its 420 always"

Edited by BuTtOnMuNcHer (07/13/08 06:25 PM)

OfflineBuTtOnMuNcHer
 User Gallery

Re: California to Legalize Weed for Everyone [Re: BuTtOnMuNcHer]
    #82327 - 07/13/08 06:24 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#83174 - 07/14/08 04:19 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

BuTtOnMuNcHer said:
http://www.hpckush.com/gallery.html

I love how they list aging as something cannabis can be prescribed for. 

:ilold:

They also misspelled pain as paid. 

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

Edited by THEBats (07/14/08 04:19 PM)

Invisiblemel_lonta_tauda
Male User Gallery
Loc: the sun
    #86751 - 07/18/08 02:22 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

BuTtOnMuNcHer said:
i would hit up kushmart every day "where its 420 always"

:yesnod:

OfflineSublimistri

Re: California to Legalize Weed for Everyone [Re: mel_lonta_tauda]
    #88548 - 07/19/08 07:15 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Cali is definatly moving in the right direction.

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Re: California to Legalize Weed for Everyone [Re: Sublimistri]
    #88675 - 07/19/08 09:17 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Yep, they are the trendsetters of the nation.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Invisiblestill beLIEve
State Property..Again
Male

Loc: a world thats not my own
    #97754 - 07/30/08 12:09 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

i dont think it will happen, not yet at least

but i got my fucking fingers crossed

--------------------
niteowl said:
See, that term pedo gets thrown around a lot.
Is a 16 year old guy having sex w/a 16 year old girl a pedophile?
If not, then how is a 30 year old considered a pedophile for doing the same thing?
I think y'all need to look up the definition for pedophile.

InvisibleLegalize Me

Re: California to Legalize Weed for Everyone [Re: still beLIEve]
    #100690 - 08/02/08 10:11 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

If they do that I will move there 4-Sure

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Re: California to Legalize Weed for Everyone [Re: Legalize Me]
    #100790 - 08/02/08 01:20 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Overnight the population of California would go from 37 million to like 70 million.  I wonder what kind of message that will send to the kids.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#100851 - 08/02/08 01:54 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

move the fuck out. cali's ours bitch.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

OfflineMAIA
bombtrack

Folding@home Statistics
Re: California to Legalize Weed for Everyone [Re: THEBats]
    #103532 - 08/05/08 06:02 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Wow! That would be the biggest weedshake in history !

--------------------

OfflinePsilocybinMike
T.F.Y.Q.A
Male User Gallery

#103533 - 08/05/08 06:05 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:
Overnight the population of California would go from 37 million to like 70 million.  I wonder what kind of message that will send to the kids.

Haha, I'd probably seriously consider moving there. Not that I already haven't.. :naughty:

--------------------

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVZBTAYm3rw

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals