Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleBoogieman
SUPERTRAMP
Male User Gallery

When should I stop low stress training? And are these insects harmful?
    #828201 - 08/29/17 08:39 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

My girl is about 1 week into flower.  When should I stop LST? Or should i keep trying to keep the tops all even throughout the life cycle?  I was trying to attempt a scrog effect by just tying branches down. This is what she looks like now,

And are these insects harmful to my plant?

This one is hard to see but it looks kinda grasshopperish....

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: When should I stop low stress training? And are these insects harmful? [Re: Boogieman]
    #828202 - 08/29/17 08:45 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

She's done topping. You might take a few lower branches when it starts to fill in but it'll probably be fine.

Those holes in the leaves mean insects are chewing through them.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisibleBoogieman
SUPERTRAMP
Male User Gallery

Re: When should I stop low stress training? And are these insects harmful? [Re: phychotron]
    #828222 - 08/30/17 10:19 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

So I can stop making adjustments to keep the tops even? Just let them grow how they want?

And what do you mean about taking lower branches once its filled in?

Any ideas on how to deal with the insects?

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: When should I stop low stress training? And are these insects harmful? [Re: Boogieman]
    #828224 - 08/30/17 12:27 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

basically just let her grow and the sun will take care of it. As it gets bushier you'll notice that the base of the plant gets much less sunlight. you could trim some of that inner and shaded parts of the plant to avoid things like powder mildew (it holds moisture in) and will help give the buds above it a little bit more density usually.

Neem oil might help with the insects. I've only had to deal with a few things so not sure what the best solution outdoors is. I prefer organic solutions instead of pesticides.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisibleBoogieman
SUPERTRAMP
Male User Gallery

Re: When should I stop low stress training? And are these insects harmful? [Re: phychotron]
    #828228 - 08/30/17 05:11 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Awesome! Thanks for the advice. :stoned:
I can't rate you until I get more posts but in the meantime
  +:mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:

I'm worried about spraying anything directly on the plant. I dont want to smoke anything that could be bad for me and I dont want to fuck the flavor up. Do you think neem oil would be OK to use at week 1 of flower? Without it effecting taste or anything. 

I have been spraying malathion on the ground around the bucket. Hoping to maybe stop some of the crawling insects. I have no plans of using that on the plant itself.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #828239 - 08/30/17 06:54 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

In general you can spray certain things up to about week two or three of flower before the buds come in without having to worry too much. Neem is pretty common and you should be fine in early flower.

Some products like Azamax can be sprayed 'up to the day of harvest' but most people avoid doing stuff like that unless they have a serious issue.

Malathion is some nasty shit--the smell alone should give you a hint. I would not use it on the plant at all. Spraying it around is up to you, avoid any overspray. The poison is dangerous to handle, they recommend washing your hands before smoking even.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #828240 - 08/30/17 06:58 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

When you do spray your plants make sure to spray the bottom of the leaves first, then go over any of the top leaf that didn't get soaked.  A hand pump spray bottle works but a cheap $10 large pump sprayer will save you TONS of work.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-1-Gallon-Sprayer-1501HDX/207202420

--------------------

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

#828386 - 09/06/17 07:31 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Not sure where my post went? Phyco u delete ?

Anyway ya want to minimize stress during flower. And looks like u can just let her go now.

As for the bugs u see if not damaging the plants i wouldnt worry they could be cwrniverous. Def dont spray at all during flower remember gets on stems and flower and will potentially be snoked. Also chems go into soil which can be picked up by plant.

Neem is good but has been linked to lung issues when used on cannabis article released not to long ago.

You could take the bug to local uni amd see if can get an id.

Also never spray until harvest no mater what people or prosuct says its misinformation like that tgat causes harm. Often those chems are for fruit or edible products which are to be washed or peeled and eaten. Pyrethrin for example is sorta ok to eat as stomach acid breaks it down however if inhalled its super bad and why it kills fish (breath through gills). Never ever spray on flowering plants. In canada gov approved operations have had recalls because products tgat say ok to spray infact had stuff that was not ok. So if gets by them with strict regulations chances are will get by you. Millstop is another say oh its basically baking soda but tgats like smoking crack more over produces majorily irratating chemical once heated ie potassium carbonate feom bicsrbonate. Again dont listen to pycho nothing is ok to spray near harvest!! Or even nesr flower.

Looks healthy so dont worry scatter some diatomacios earth around plant and maybe some essential oils around the plant if really are domcerned to deter some insects.  Domt spray nasty shit if has any chance of touching plant or roots! Best to have healthy strong plant amd bugs wont affect anything few nibbles def nothing to be concerned about. Can physically remove aswell by hand or blast with water to get minor aphids or something off.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: When should I stop low stress training? And are these insects harmful? [Re: Theman]
    #828389 - 09/06/17 09:53 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

It tells you if someone deletes a post.

--------------------

InvisibleBoogieman
SUPERTRAMP
Male User Gallery

Re: When should I stop low stress training? And are these insects harmful? [Re: Theman]
    #828402 - 09/08/17 05:05 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

The plant is in a 5 gallon bucket,  so not to worried about it sucking up poison through the roots. I was also very careful not to get any on the the plant when I sprayed the surrounding area. But who knows some could of got caught in a breeze and got onto my plant.

But Im going to stop with the pesticides because your right, my insect issue is very minor and that pesticide is some nasty shit.

I got another question for you guys, the temps are starting to get kind of cold. 60-70f during day and mid 40s at night. Is this OK?  As long as it doesn't frost I should be OK right?

OfflineBig Bear
Earf Child

Loc: In Love, On Time Flag
    #828632 - 09/18/17 12:46 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

IME Neem oil works best when it is used systemically.  You need to be spraying regularly to coat all leaves.  Usually twice a week until week 3 of flower is enough to hold everything at bay until the end of the harvest so long as your plants are healthy.  Bare minimum of one spray a week.  Spray every 3 days when you have bugs until bugs are gone, then switch to every 5 or so. 

Lemongrass oil is a good product to use, a brand called kapow...if you want to more effectively knock shit out with less spraying.  Its more expensive than neem, but less spraying required.  Good for time saver if you have money to spare. 

Also, neem seed meal can be aerated as a tea and applied to the root zone to help combat issues as well.  Once again, systemic use is imperative for good results.

Lastly, when spraying MAKE SURE you go up and down the plant and cover every square millimeter of plant material, tops and bottoms of leaves, and stems.  Neem oil acts as a preventative because it builds chitin up on the leaves.  Areas that get missed are more susceptible to problems.

Oh and one more fun fact because I'm a longwinded pothead...azamax is concentrated azardictin, which is a component of neem oil just concentrated.  Super pricy shit but it is effective. 

I find the best solution to be spraying neem constantly.  I add other things in to my neem oil such as aloe vera and other oils...lavender oil, rosemary, and thyme...there is tons of peer reviewed academic research on a myriad of essential oils that thwart bugs and molds.

Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

--------------------
:gd_icon:Still Alive:gd_icon:

Edited by Big Bear (09/18/17 12:51 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom