Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Trusted Cultivator
Harvesting high CBD strains
    #778379 - 05/11/15 11:27 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

So i'll be harvesting this Thunderstruck in a few weeks and was wondering if the same principle applies to harvesting high CBD strains. By principle I mean waiting until most trichromes are Amber. Or shoukd I harvest when the breeder says so?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Harvesting high CBD strains [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #778463 - 05/12/15 08:24 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Well if the breeder gives a different time then the usual method then find out why they are doing it. What kind of testing did he have done to come up with the new time.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #778520 - 05/12/15 06:31 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

I personally don't go by tricome color, but rather how the plant looks and is responding. Generally it will stop sucking up water like a champ once the bulk of the growth is done.

Bud shape and formation play the largest role. I either harvest before or after it buds/foxtails out (not during). Sometimes I have nearly all clear at 12 weeks of a 7-8week strain.

Not sure about the high cbd being any different, but I would still go by overall plant health and appearance

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Harvesting high CBD strains [Re: phychotron]
    #778632 - 05/13/15 01:23 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the replies.
@mag I was just referring to the breeders flowering time (in this case 8 weeks).

This is the description for Harlequin BX4 by Reeferman.

"Fast to flower, an extended flowering time can actually diminish effectiveness, because CBD degrades earlier than THC. Harlequin generally tests at around 7% CBD at 10 weeks while delivering CBD levels as high as 12% at just 8 weeks."

So a better question is....do the trichs show the maturity of the THC or of all the cannabinoids? If we wait until the trichs are amber, has the CBDs gone too far and degraded?

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #778652 - 05/13/15 05:35 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Sounds like you want to go by the breeders time recommendations for best CBD production, since they did actually test it. You'll probably have to just see what they look like when you harvest it.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Harvesting high CBD strains [Re: phychotron]
    #778862 - 05/15/15 12:40 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah I think you're right. I asked this question on icmag and someone else was reporting the same results.

Quote:

The ratio changes later in harvest. The color of the resin is pretty arbitrary. Amber is variety dependent. I have stuff that only ambers when its damaged. Others that fully amber after harvest.

Most stuff is 10 weeks of 12 hr photo period. Some stuff is 8 and at worst 12-14 for your under-bred sativas. I've harvested the same cut at 9 weeks and 13 weeks both giving about 20%THC and almost no CBN. Sometimes, a clone might take longer from various factors than it usually does.

The THC declines earlier than CBD. Your ratio shifts towards higher CBD later in harvest. CBN is variety dependent but does increase somewhat with later harvesting. You will always see steady decline after 12 weeks if it is not a pure sativa.

Our 'Cannatonic' was 11.1% CBD at 12 weeks and 12.9% CBD at 10 weeks. That is a lot less decline than 12% to 7%.

I do 'Pennywise' at 8 weeks and get similar numbers to the 'Cannatonic.' It puts on flowers weeks faster than 'Cannatonic'

Edited by Deadkndys420 (05/15/15 12:51 AM)

OfflineMof
Male

#779014 - 05/16/15 01:13 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

so once you see flowers you can harvest it up until the 12th week with minimal thc loss?

I've heard the reverse about harvesting too early and there being not much thc..

Quote:

It is interesting that the time of harvest controls the "high" of the buds. If harvested "early" with only a few of the pistils turned color, the buds will have a more pure THC content and will have less THC that has turned to CBD and CBN's. The lessor psychoactive substances will create the bouquet of the pot, and control the amount of stoneyness and stupidness associated with the high. A pure THC content is very cerebral, while high THC, high CBD, CBN content will make the plants more of a stupid, or hazy buzz. Buds taken later, when fully ripened will normally have these higher CBN, CBD levels and may not be what you prefer once you try different samples picked at different times.

Edited by Mof (05/16/15 02:16 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale