Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Free range meat
    #778325 - 05/10/15 04:49 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Do any of you guys buy your meat from local farms? I have been thinking about it but the prices are 2-3x more expensive then from the store. At least the meat anyways. So how much do you guys pay? Like for example a pound of top sirloin or a whole chicken?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGBurger717
Let me be me! I luv me some me!
Male

Loc: USA, East of Mississippi Flag
Re: Free range meat [Re: Deadkndys420] * 2
    #778334 - 05/10/15 06:29 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

You will never buy store bought meat again. Taste, texture and fat grain can't be beat from a local farmer who raised the cattle right. All the meat we eat comes from local farmers. I have not bought store chicken or beef in over 10 years. Worth every penny

--------------------
"If only one party supports a bill, it's probably not a very good bill. If both parties support it, you can be sure that however good it seems on the surface, under the covers it's worse than you could possibly imagine" - Me myself and I 08-02-12

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty - Jefferson

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Jefferson

Invisibledrawde

Re: Free range meat [Re: GBurger717]
    #778335 - 05/10/15 06:36 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Most of the commercial beef nowadays is corn fed which the cattle's digestive system is not designed for.
That's why they kill them after only a few years.
So yeah I can imagine it would be much better.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Re: Free range meat [Re: Deadkndys420] * 1
    #778338 - 05/10/15 08:28 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Deadkndys420 said:
Do any of you guys buy your meat from local farms? I have been thinking about it but the prices are 2-3x more expensive then from the store. At least the meat anyways. So how much do you guys pay? Like for example a pound of top sirloin or a whole chicken?

The way to do it economically is to buy a whole or half a cow.  You can also go in on a cow with friends.  Buy a freezer, its the way to go.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Re: Free range meat [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #778364 - 05/11/15 08:45 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

I was vegetarian all last year except for a few fuckups. Then I did an on off weekly thing where I only bought free range style meats. These guys are right. The difference is like buying brand name doritos and store brand doritos. Until you try the real ones you're satisfied with the fake ones.

But yeah, it gets expensive as all fuck. I'm back in a shitty position where I have to be careful with my spending and I've been eating crappy commercial meat again. It's not THAT bad, I just have to put more effort into cooking it, like with seasonings and cooking on the smoker and shit.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

Re: Free range meat [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #778401 - 05/11/15 04:08 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

I pay about +/-15% for beef and pork raised by the local butchers.  They don't call it anything special and they do not make promises about antibiotics or hormones.  I do know it does not have preservatives, because it does not keep very long without freezing.  It is just locally raised and tastes awesome compared to regional and chain grocery store meat.

These are regular prices for good butcher shop meat:
delmonico steaks 8.95/#
strip steak  7.95/#
tenderloin 10.95/#
roasts 3.95-5.95/#

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

OfflinePoloDown
Stranger Danger

Re: Free range meat [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #778402 - 05/11/15 04:10 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

I always pay the extra for grass fed sustainably raised meat.  its usually a few more bucks per pound here.

my idiot friends dont see any reasoning behind it, they just dont understand.  their loss though :shrug:

OfflineBeekEr
HandBanana
 User Gallery

Loc: canada Flag
Re: Free range meat [Re: PoloDown]
    #778873 - 05/15/15 06:30 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

PoloDown said:
I always pay the extra for grass fed sustainably raised meat.  its usually a few more bucks per pound here.

my idiot friends dont see any reasoning behind it, they just dont understand.  their loss though :shrug:

exactly! in the long run your body, and community will benefit from this. Myself and the wife only buy local everything. It supports your community, families, shops, and keeps big ticket places from ruining our world.

--------------------

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

Re: Free range meat [Re: BeekEr]
    #779038 - 05/16/15 08:44 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

I stay away from the free range. Can't afford it. :shrug:

Here a pound of ground beef is 3. A couple of boneless ribeye Is around 8-9. Thick cut bone in ribeye is 18 and that's around 2-3 pounds. You can get chicken for around a dollar a pound.

--------------------
Learning to love life by living through loss and mistakes
Lessons learned then gradually surfacing, Letting go, stripping naked to scream
I am not perfect nor do I strive to be, I am alive in this world of face first falls and public breakdowns
I'm a retarded, disfigured clown
Dying to be heard through the simple art of letting this heavy wall finally fall
I'm an equal being of no race, or color, a hallucination if you will
Sneaking into the lives of strangers, and letting them fall apart to a new rhythm just to feel better

OfflineBruceDabber
Stranger

Re: Free range meat [Re: poor boy] * 1
    #779275 - 05/19/15 07:29 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Well, if you eat meat sparingly (no more then once a day) I see no reason not to. I have not tried it first hand, but supporting ethical treatment of animals is good enough. I'm sure tremendous flavor profiles go along with that as well. Also texture and tenderness of the meat (ie melting in your mouth). However, if you're an avid meat eater it would depend on your wallet, man.

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

Re: Free range meat [Re: BruceDabber]
    #779277 - 05/19/15 07:33 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

:facepalm:

--------------------
Learning to love life by living through loss and mistakes
Lessons learned then gradually surfacing, Letting go, stripping naked to scream
I am not perfect nor do I strive to be, I am alive in this world of face first falls and public breakdowns
I'm a retarded, disfigured clown
Dying to be heard through the simple art of letting this heavy wall finally fall
I'm an equal being of no race, or color, a hallucination if you will
Sneaking into the lives of strangers, and letting them fall apart to a new rhythm just to feel better

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates