Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Astronomers Say Two Unknown Planets May Lurk Beyond Pluto
    #766050 - 01/16/15 07:58 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

"Planet X" might actually exist — and so might "Planet Y."

At least two planets larger than Earth likely lurk in the dark depths of space far beyond Pluto, just waiting to be discovered, a new analysis of the orbits of "extreme trans-Neptunian objects" (ETNOs) suggests.

Researchers studied 13 ETNOs — frigid bodies such as the dwarf planet Sedna that cruise around the sun at great distances in elliptical paths.

Theory predicts a certain set of details for ETNO orbits, study team members said. For example, they should have a semi-major axis, or average distance from the sun, of about 150 astronomical units (AU). (1 AU is the distance from Earth to the sun — roughly 93 million miles, or 150 million kilometers.) These orbits should also have an inclination, relative to the plane of the solar system, of almost 0 degrees, among other characteristics.

But the actual orbits of the 13 ETNOs are quite different, with semi-major axes ranging from 150 to 525 AU and average inclinations of about 20 degrees.

"This excess of objects with unexpected orbital parameters makes us believe that some invisible forces are altering the distribution of the orbital elements of the ETNOs, and we consider that the most probable explanation is that other unknown planets exist beyond Neptune and Pluto," lead author Carlos de la Fuente Marcos, of the Complutense University of Madrid, said in a statement.

"The exact number is uncertain, given that the data that we have is limited, but our calculations suggest that there are at least two planets, and probably more, within the confines of our solar system," he added.

The potential undiscovered worlds would be more massive than Earth, researchers said, and would lie about 200 AU or more from the sun — so far away that they'd be very difficult, if not impossible, to spot with current instruments.

The new results are detailed in two papers in the journal Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society Letters.

Source

:mindblown:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

Re: Astronomers Say Two Unknown Planets May Lurk Beyond Pluto [Re: Deadkndys420] * 2
    #766055 - 01/16/15 08:14 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I love shit like this!

--------------------
Learning to love life by living through loss and mistakes
Lessons learned then gradually surfacing, Letting go, stripping naked to scream
I am not perfect nor do I strive to be, I am alive in this world of face first falls and public breakdowns
I'm a retarded, disfigured clown
Dying to be heard through the simple art of letting this heavy wall finally fall
I'm an equal being of no race, or color, a hallucination if you will
Sneaking into the lives of strangers, and letting them fall apart to a new rhythm just to feel better

Invisiblethoughts
Stranger

Re: Astronomers Say Two Unknown Planets May Lurk Beyond Pluto [Re: poor boy]
    #766118 - 01/17/15 10:36 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

The Sumerians knew about this 6,000 years ago.
@ 10:30

Earth isn't the only thing in our solar system with water either, and water usually means life.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraterrestrial_liquid_water

--------------------

Invisibledrawde
Re: Astronomers Say Two Unknown Planets May Lurk Beyond Pluto [Re: thoughts]
    #766133 - 01/17/15 12:29 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

thoughts said:
Earth isn't the only thing in our solar system with water either, and water usually means life.

I don't know if I would go that far. A common precondition for life maybe. Even if you have water there could be untold number of things preventing the formation of life.

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

Re: Astronomers Say Two Unknown Planets May Lurk Beyond Pluto [Re: drawde]
    #766164 - 01/17/15 02:55 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

what this smart guy said

--------------------
I am not perfect nor do I strive to be, I am alive in this world of face first falls and public breakdowns
Dying to be heard through the simple art of letting this heavy wall finally fall
Sneaking into the lives of strangers, and letting them fall apart to a new rhythm just to feel better

Invisiblestill beLIEve
State Property..Again
Male

Loc: a world thats not my own
Re: Astronomers Say Two Unknown Planets May Lurk Beyond Pluto [Re: poor boy]
    #766248 - 01/18/15 02:35 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

i dont understand how they can see galaxys thousands of light years away but still be unsure of if there are a few planets within or right out side our solar system

--------------------
niteowl said:
See, that term pedo gets thrown around a lot.
Is a 16 year old guy having sex w/a 16 year old girl a pedophile?
If not, then how is a 30 year old considered a pedophile for doing the same thing?
I think y'all need to look up the definition for pedophile.

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

Re: Astronomers Say Two Unknown Planets May Lurk Beyond Pluto [Re: still beLIEve]
    #766271 - 01/18/15 10:45 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Because its all a lie. We still havnt even been to the moon. The wizardry keeps anything from leaving and entering.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1