Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleiStoner
Astral Beast
Male

Bacteria Hold Clues Of Life On Other Planets
    #459077 - 08/12/10 09:22 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

http://www.redorbit.com/news/space/1903945/bacteria_hold_clues_of_life_on_other_planets/index.html?source=r_space

Posted on: Thursday, 12 August 2010, 09:50 CDT

Bacteria discovered in an oxygen-starved area of Argentina could demonstrate how life could exist on Mars or other planets, according to a Wednesday article by Reuters reporter Kylie Stott.

A team that included National Scientific and Technical Research Council (CONICET) microbiologist Maria Eugenia Farias discovered the unique strands of bacteria--called "polyextremophiles" because they can survive in multiple different types of extreme conditions--in an inhospitable area of the South American country known as Lake Diamante.

In fact, millions of them were discovered in the center of a giant volcanic crater, located some 15,000-plus feet above sea level at the Lake Diamante site, according to the report.The bacteria's habitat is similar to primitive earth, before living and breathing organisms began wrapping a protective atmosphere of oxygen around the planet," Stott said. "The conditions--which include high arsenic and alkaline levels--could also shed light on life beyond Earth… If bacteria can survive here, the theory goes, it could also survive somewhere like Mars."

Reportedly, the lake includes 20,000 times the amount of arsenic deemed safe for drinking water, and is filled with so much salt that it never freezes despite the extreme cold.

According to Farias, the DNA of the polyextremophiles mutates in order to survive the area's high UV radiation and low oxygen levels typically found at such high altitudes, meaning that it could be of use in pharmaceutical products.

"What we have here is a series of extreme conditions all in one place. And this is what makes this place unique in the world," the microbiologist, who is currently seeking funding in order to produce a metagenome of the bacteria colony, told Stott on Wednesday.

"This is of great scientific interest as a window to look to our past and also for a science called astrobiology, the study of life on other planets," she added.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFRACTALife
Rust Fuckin' Cohle
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Carcosa Flag
Re: Bacteria Hold Clues Of Life On Other Planets [Re: iStoner]
    #459122 - 08/12/10 11:00 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

So... it makes sense that psilocybin spores are sent from other planets to enlighten all the life in the universe. There is probably one planet or white hole that just shoots out mushroom spores in hopes they end up on some planet with life that could use the mushrooms for enlightenment.

--------------------

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
Re: Bacteria Hold Clues Of Life On Other Planets [Re: FRACTALife]
    #459160 - 08/12/10 11:51 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

OfflineFRACTALife
Rust Fuckin' Cohle
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Carcosa Flag
Re: Bacteria Hold Clues Of Life On Other Planets [Re: DungenessDank]
    #459348 - 08/13/10 10:43 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

DungenessDank said:

:aweoverdose:

--------------------

OfflineSwami
Stranger
Re: Bacteria Hold Clues Of Life On Other Planets [Re: iStoner]
    #726484 - 04/18/14 12:08 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

iStoner said:
http://www.redorbit.com/news/space/1903945/bacteria_hold_clues_of_life_on_other_planets/index.html?source=r_space

Posted on: Thursday, 12 August 2010, 09:50 CDT

Bacteria discovered in an oxygen-starved area of Argentina could demonstrate how life could exist on Mars or other planets, according to a Wednesday article by Reuters reporter Kylie Stott.

A team that included National Scientific and Technical Research Council (CONICET) microbiologist Maria Eugenia Farias discovered the unique strands of bacteria--called "polyextremophiles" because they can survive in multiple different types of extreme conditions--in an inhospitable area of the South American country known as Lake Diamante.

In fact, millions of them were discovered in the center of a giant volcanic crater, located some 15,000-plus feet above sea level at the Lake Diamante site, according to the report.The bacteria's habitat is similar to primitive earth, before living and breathing organisms began wrapping a protective atmosphere of oxygen around the planet," Stott said. "The conditions--which include high arsenic and alkaline levels--could also shed light on life beyond Earth… If bacteria can survive here, the theory goes, it could also survive somewhere like Mars."

Reportedly, the lake includes 20,000 times the amount of arsenic deemed safe for drinking water, and is filled with so much salt that it never freezes despite the extreme cold.

According to Farias, the DNA of the polyextremophiles mutates in order to survive the area's high UV radiation and low oxygen levels typically found at such high altitudes, meaning that it could be of use in pharmaceutical products.

"What we have here is a series of extreme conditions all in one place. And this is what makes this place unique in the world," the microbiologist, who is currently seeking funding in order to produce a metagenome of the bacteria colony, told Stott on Wednesday.

"This is of great scientific interest as a window to look to our past and also for a science called astrobiology, the study of life on other planets," she added.

And for that reason, four years later, I’m trying to get myself to stop hating him.

I was a college freshman, naive, perpetually high on my newfound freedom and ready to take on whatever opportunity fell in my lap that day — provided I was nice and wasted off 10 shots of vodka from a plastic handle. I was making new friends, trying new things, and making out with LOTS of boys. I didn’t have much sexual experience, I’d only had sex with one boy back in high school, so college parties full of attractive drunk boys I’d likely never see again were like a gold mine. It was harmless, and fun as hell.

On the night I was raped by a friend of a friend, I made the first move.

I was the one who gave him “the look” for a solid twenty minutes while he danced with another girl, until he ditched her and came over to me. I was the one who kissed him. Despite that, I never once invited him back to my room, gave him my phone number, or gave him any outright implication that this was going any farther than those two hours on the dance floor. When he knocked on the door of my dorm room later that night, he admitted he’d asked his friend where I lived; he wanted to get my number. I thought that was sweet. I invited him in.

I wasn’t left with any bruises. He never held me down. He didn’t use physical force at all.

But it was 3 am, I was drunk beyond comprehension, and I never said yes.

I remember laying on my back while he and his whiskey dick had sex with my unresponsive, near-asleep body, all the while praying for it to be over. When he finished (on my chest, I might add), I shoved him off of me. I asked him to leave, and immediately threw up in my trash can. I stood in the shower for an hour and still couldn’t get the dirty feeling off. I cried for hours. I didn’t understand what was wrong with me, and attributed it to “being drunk and emotional”. I didn’t tell my friends.

My rapist doesn’t know he’s a rapist.

I know this because I didn’t even realize I had been raped myself until three years later, when I sat myself down and asked why I was still having nightmares about that night. I started reading accounts from other girls who had been raped or sexually assaulted, and realized many of them had gone through the same denial period. Just because you don’t say no doesn’t mean you said yes.
Related Thought
Helpful hints for avoiding rape, ladies!
Serial Rapist Posts His Story On Reddit
A Reddit user helpfully described his history of serial rapes in detail, and commenters rose to the occasion with stories of their own.

I convinced myself that if it was rape, I would have been injured. If it was rape, I would have been aware of that in the moment, and fought him off. If it was rape, I would have told on him. If it was rape, no one would take me seriously me anyways because I was drunk as **** and after all, I had invited him in, hadn’t I?

Drunkenness is not an excuse for rape; it’s an alibi.

My rapist doesn’t know he’s a rapist because in his mind, he was drunk too, so we were on the same page, right?

He doesn’t know he’s a rapist because society has taught him that drunk girls like me who come on to you are asking for it; they’re probably sluts who throw themselves at dudes all the time; they deserve it.

He doesn’t know he’s a rapist because, like I did at first, he believes that if he doesn’t physically hurt someone, it’s not considered rape.

He believes that since he “knew me” for one night and didn’t attack me on the street, it’s not considered rape. He doesn’t think he’s a rapist because of the similar stories his buddies tell him about the “hot drunk chick they banged last night”.

At the time I’m writing this, I still hate him. I hate him for the shame he caused me to feel, for the confusion, for the feelings of worthlessness. I hate him for the panic attacks and for the sleepless nights. I hate him for the year of therapy my parents had to pay for when I came to terms with the fact that I was, in fact, a “rape victim”. I hate him for making me feel like I’m crazy or that I’m overreacting when I still occasionally break down and cry, even though I think I’m “over it”. I hate him for the fact that I know deep down I will never truly be “over it”. I hate him for all the times I see him on campus and realize he probably hasn’t thought about that night since the week after it happened, and if he does think about it, it’s never with guilt.

It’s for that last reason, however, that I’m trying to find a way to forgive him. In his mind, I’m just another girl he’s slept with in college, another notch on the bedpost. He has no idea how much he has effected me — he couldn’t know, I haven’t spoken a word to him since that night. How can he possibly feel guilty for something he’s been told is perfectly okay his entire life?

My rapist doesn’t know he’s a rapist, because my culture has taught him he isn’t one.

InvisibleiStoner
Astral Beast
Male

Re: Bacteria Hold Clues Of Life On Other Planets [Re: Swami]
    #726505 - 04/18/14 12:17 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

dude fuck off

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom