Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleZombi3
Greenhouse Technician
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bat Country Flag
Advice on applying to work for large scale, legal cannabis production company.
    #759983 - 12/01/14 12:23 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Looking for advice from proffesional growers who have work in the legal industry.
I have spent 3 years in college obtaining a Greenhouse Technician diploma, and a Horticulture Technician diploma also. Essentially these diplomas taught me everything required to own/operate a large scale greenhouse both soil and hydroponic.

Im an avid grower at home of ornamentals, tropicals, vegetables, natives, and cannabis. I have roughly 5 years of outdoor cannabis production experience and almost 2 years of indoor cannabis production.
I have 3 years of hands on practical work in a greenhouse that produced bedding plants and poinsettias, as well as 2 years experience on a horticulture research team with whom I conducted research experiments for industry partners, this is my current job.

Im very interested in getting involved with the medical cannabis industry and it just so happens there is a legal operation recently opened up in my area. They are currently operating with 30,000sq/ft but they own 350,000sq/ft under glass! The operation is planning to expand to the full space in the next 12 months so this means a lot of work coming up.

However I do not want to just be labour or trimming or whatever. I want to be working with the growers and helping grow the plants. I realize I cant expect to just jump into a head grower position but I went to school to be exactly that, and my diplomas are well respected in this area.

So anyway Im wondering what I can do to really stand out and make it known I want to be involved with growing the plants without sounding cocky?
Can I say at all that I have experience growing cannabis considering that all my experience would be considered... illegal. I dont have a medical license and I have never been involved with any medical/legal grows. I have been to other grows, seen medical grows, seen large operations, but I have never legitimately worked for anyone cannabis related that I can refferance.

What sort of things are these operations hoping to see and hear? Should I expect it to be like an interview for any other large scale greenhouse or what?

Im working on my cover letter this week and any help on the subject would be so greatly appreciated!! Thank you growery :heart:

:happyweed:

--------------------
* Die For Your Government *

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Advice on applying to work for large scale, legal cannabis production company. [Re: Zombi3]
    #759987 - 12/01/14 01:45 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

yo dude, i run the veg grow for a dispensary here in colorado springs. im actually on my lunch break right now and gotta run back in a second, but i'll post later tn when i get off and give you some tips.

i only know about the colorado system, so if youre trying to get in the industry in another state, i probably wont be of too much help.

InvisiblecoAsTal
Re: Advice on applying to work for large scale, legal cannabis production company. [Re: CrushNazT]
    #759990 - 12/01/14 02:09 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Great posts-- I'm looking for advice too-- look forward to hearing your tips

Offlinewebster10

Re: Advice on applying to work for large scale, legal cannabis production company. [Re: Zombi3]
    #759992 - 12/01/14 02:43 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I've heard if you have a record for almost anything you're unable to get a job doing that. That is all I've got to offer

InvisibleUltimateDevotion
TwistedByDesign
Male User Gallery

Re: Advice on applying to work for large scale, legal cannabis production company. [Re: webster10]
    #759994 - 12/01/14 03:10 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I'm in Oregon and would love to know how to get in the cannabis industry.

--------------------
Harry Detroit in 304 made one last promise now
"I'm goin out without a trace, a vanishing act before your eyes"

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Advice on applying to work for large scale, legal cannabis production company. [Re: UltimateDevotion]
    #759998 - 12/01/14 04:28 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

You guys have to remember no matter where you live it's still federally illegal. You don't just put ads in the paper for a position and hope for the best. In most cases if somebody is planning a large grow they already have their growers hired cause it would be insane to hire off of the street esp a grow over 99 plants which puts you into the mandatory sentence range. Starts at 5 years for over 99 plants. They don't know you. They don't know who you know and there is still one thing that is a bigger risk then the cops no matter how big your grow is and that is ripoffs.

They don't know who you're gonna tell about the grow and so on so as usual in this industry it's not a matter of what you know but who you know. You may find work in the field but I don't think it's gonna be easy.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleZombi3
Greenhouse Technician
Male User Gallery

Re: Advice on applying to work for large scale, legal cannabis production company. [Re: Magash]
    #760000 - 12/01/14 04:43 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Im in Canada, I think its a little different out here...?
The place Im looking at is fully licensed by health canada to produce medical cannabis.
Upon initial contact with the companies HR rep i was encouraged to forward a resume to a different department to which she gave me the email for.
So I know for sure they are licensed and are hiring.

--------------------

InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

#760016 - 12/01/14 09:11 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

magash, are you in cali? the climate isnt like that out here. the DEA has told us that they're completely hands off unless the people being investigated/prosecuted are breaking state law. its happened recently but the denver police were also involved, and the guy was linked to colombian cartel in florida. i had the MED and CO springs narcotics come look at my grow a few days ago because of a pissed off employee who got fired decided to try to get us in trouble by getting the MED on our ass. (marijuana enforcement division)

anyway, zombi3, what state are you in?

if you live in colorado, and keep in mind everything i say here is for COLORADO only, i cant speak about other states, you need be at least 21 and not have any felony CONVICTIONS on your record or owe any taxes or child support. if you're clean in that area, you fill out an application with the marijuana enforcement division, pay a fee for a background check and fingerprints, then if you pass that background, you come back and take your picture for your badge. you HAVE to HAVE and WEAR the badge at all times while in any restricted/limited access area. there are at least 3 kinds of badges that i know of. a retail badge, a [medical] support badge and a [medical] key badge. no badge? no job. you legally need that badge to work in the industry.

once you have your badge, start applying at dispensaries that you like. it's just like getting any other job, believe it or not. most dont give a shit about a cover letter, but you can always put one if you want. apply for both a trimmer and a grower position. say you'll take either. anything available. i started as a trimmer then worked my way into the grow. weird how it all worked out, now i'm in charge of the veg grow at one of our grows. it really does help to have prior marijuana growing experience, and to let them know that. that's what you'll be doing at the job you're applying for. just dont elaborate too much. let them know you have experience and your book skillz and degrees and whatnot.

like i said, idk if youre in colorado or not. but if you are, here are some links to the MED

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/enforcement/marijuanaenforcement

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/enforcement/occupational-licensing-information-marijuana-enforcement

Edited by CrushNazT (12/01/14 09:13 PM)

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Advice on applying to work for large scale, legal cannabis production company. [Re: CrushNazT]
    #760018 - 12/01/14 11:34 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Fuuuuuck that. Yeah I'm in Cali and by what your saying I'm staying here. I don't get how you guys are legal and yet have twice the rules as us. Here you have to have the medical license but that's it. Once you have that you can work where you want without some badge.

Blows my mind how in a legal state the laws are harsher then they are in a medical state to people that don't have the license. Washington is even worse.

marijuana enforcement division: WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?

Quote:

the DEA has told us that they're completely hands off unless the people being investigated/prosecuted are breaking state law.

Yeah they told us the same thing.

What you just told us has me fully tripping on your so called legalization.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

Re: Advice on applying to work for large scale, legal cannabis production company. [Re: Magash]
    #760029 - 12/02/14 04:45 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
Fuuuuuck that. Yeah I'm in Cali and by what your saying I'm staying here. I don't get how you guys are legal and yet have twice the rules as us. Here you have to have the medical license but that's it. Once you have that you can work where you want without some badge.

Blows my mind how in a legal state the laws are harsher then they are in a medical state to people that don't have the license. Washington is even worse.

Quote:

the DEA has told us that they're completely hands off unless the people being investigated/prosecuted are breaking state law.

:vibin::vibin:
This is crazy!

InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

#760030 - 12/02/14 05:52 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:

Quote:

we have all the rules, the seed to sale tracking, the MED, the licensing, and everything else JUST SO the DEA and feds don't come in here and fuck with people. weed has been illegal for so long and the feds are a bunch of dicks, we have to be accountable and show that we're a legit company. the MED can be a headache, but they're what's keeping the DEA away from us. they make us more legitimate.

cali is a free for all for growers and the feds. cali marijuana law is just that, a law, both our marijuana laws, medical/rec are constitutional amendments. we're the only state with it in out state constitution. that helps us out a lot too and makes things a bit more difficult for the feds.

cali is too wild west for me. theres no system or organization over the MMJ system there. i'd rather be here where i know the DEA isn't going to fuck with us.

BTW i used to live in missouri and almost went to prison for 5-20 years for 2 marijuana plants when i was 19 years old. i avoided the conviction that would have barred me from getting badged, but i was on felony probation until i was 25. when i got off, i moved out here to colorado and got in the industry. so to you, this all might sound really shitty, but from what i've been through and where i've come from, colorado is freedom.

InvisibleZombi3
Greenhouse Technician
Male User Gallery

#760032 - 12/02/14 06:50 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

CrushNazT said:
anyway, zombi3, what state are you in?

if you live in colorado, and keep in mind everything i say here is for COLORADO only

Quote:

Zombi3 said:
Im in Canada, I think its a little different out here...?
The place Im looking at is fully licensed by health canada to produce medical cannabis.
Upon initial contact with the companies HR rep i was encouraged to forward a resume to a different department to which she gave me the email for.
So I know for sure they are licensed and are hiring.

--------------------

InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

#760033 - 12/02/14 06:56 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

ahh missed that lol

well good shit. go take em your resume! good luck

InvisibleZombi3
Greenhouse Technician
Male User Gallery

#760034 - 12/02/14 07:01 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

So is it different in Canada then?:tongue:

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #760040 - 12/02/14 07:54 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

cali is a free for all for growers and the feds. cali marijuana law is just that, a law, both our marijuana laws, medical/rec are constitutional amendments. we're the only state with it in out state constitution. that helps us out a lot too and makes things a bit more difficult for the feds.

cali is too wild west for me. theres no system or organization over the MMJ system there. i'd rather be here where i know the DEA isn't going to fuck with us.

This isn't true. We don't have anymore DEA intervention they you do there. In fact by population you had nearly 3 times the busts we did. There are over 1000 clubs in Los Angeles alone so there can't be that much DEA here.

I couldn't agree with you more on the Wild West thing. I keep saying "There gonna slam the door on us" but nothing ever happens. Just keep getting more and more open. I have 40 clubs around me which may not sound like much till you figure that I'm in the middle of the California desert. If you take all the Starbucks, Mc Donalds, and 7-11 stores in the state and combine them there are still more weed clubs.

Quote:

BTW i used to live in missouri and almost went to prison for 5-20 years for 2 marijuana plants when i was 19 years old. i avoided the conviction that would have barred me from getting badged, but i was on felony probation until i was 25. when i got off, i moved out here to colorado and got in the industry. so to you, this all might sound really shitty, but from what i've been through and where i've come from, colorado is freedom.

This may mean something to somebody else but nothing to me and I don't mean to be a asshole cause I think you are cool and like your posts I learn about Colorado law from them but as I have posted many times I was busted in the early 90s before marijuana medical laws and spent 3 fucking years in San Quentin. I missed the mandatory 5 year charge in a federal prison where I would have had to go to Kentucky to serve my time by 3 plants.
Now here is the fun part. When I got busted there was a news crew there filming so to this day I get to go to my friends house and they pull out that video. Which consist of me being dragged out of the house in a pair of shorts yelling to the neighbors to please gather up my dogs cause the cops let them out when they came on the property. (My parents even have fun with that video every fucking holiday season)

Ahhhh....your bringing up the fun memories.

Hey can you answer something? You said that your past record comes into play there. How? If my record came up I'd have never been able to do what I'm doing. This right here is the first time I've ever heard of somebody's past keeping them form working in the industry (I guess that is what you call it).

We are suppose to go legal next year (I personally hope we don't) I hope it going legal doesn't bring in all the rules.

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #760042 - 12/02/14 07:58 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Oh yeah Zombi3 your in Canada so I hope you have a long and successful carer growing and running your own huge grow in the future. (you never said you wanted your own huge grow but I wish that for everybody :crazy2: )

--------------------

InvisibleZombi3
Greenhouse Technician
Male User Gallery

#760047 - 12/02/14 08:13 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
Oh yeah Zombi3 your in Canada so I hope you have a long and successful carer growing and running your own huge grow in the future.

That is the idea :awesomenod::heart:
Id like to get into breeding also :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #760066 - 12/02/14 11:15 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Id like to get into breeding also :thumbup:

Don't even get me started I'll be typing for hours and you guys will get so bored that you'll be asking the admins to have me perma-banned. :wexican:

--------------------

InvisibleZombi3
Greenhouse Technician
Male User Gallery

#760085 - 12/02/14 02:42 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Im sure Im not alone when I say genetics and breeding are FAR from boring. :toast:
This is my passion Magesh, every part of it:awesomenod:
You couldnt bore me if you tried !

--------------------

OfflineLegion of Shroom
Stranger

#760114 - 12/02/14 07:15 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

My advice would be to:

1) have a perfectly clean criminal record

2) have some experience in whatever you are applying for (if it is growing, then have some gardening experience or something.  if it is processing, you may need experience in food services and might need a food worker card).  some college never hurts

3) keep in contact.  email or call like once a week and ask for any open position.  tell them your are passionate about the plant

4) volunteer your time if you can to start.  if you show how much you actually want to work there and volunteer at first (as long as you work hard and don't fuck up), your chances of getting hired when a spot opens up will increase by 1000%

also know that you may not be able to put your paycheck into a bank for a while

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals