Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSaren
Stranger
Could someone help me ID whats wrong with my plant pls?
    #754339 - 10/22/14 06:05 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Hello!

I am new here, I am hoping someone can help point me in the right direction on where to look for identifying plant problems, and how to properly treat them.

I've looked over the forums for almost an hour now, and I cannot quite find the same symptoms my plant has with what has been posted here.  ( Im new though, so I may have overlooked something!)

I have grown many different plants before. but. they were always in soil.  This is my first attempt at growing anything hydroponically. 

I choose to use a dwc method of hydroponics.  I found a cheap aero-garden at an online auction site, bought the nutrients I thought would be best for my setup which is Advance Nutrients two part sensi grow and sensi bloom ph perfect series.  I also have General Hydroponics Flora Nova micro nutrient mix.  Also ( but have not used ) liquid carboload and big bud.  both advance nutrient products as well.

What started happening was two weeks ago the lower leaves were starting to show what looked like a potassium deficiency.  At that point I was feeding it with 1/2 strength of the bloom nutrients. 

The plant is approximately 25 days into flower cycle.  it is under the CFL lights that come with the aero garden, and a 300 watt LED array setup for flowering.

What I have done so far is replace the reservoir with RO water and let that sit for 3 days.  then I started with 1/4 strength nutrients of the sensi bloom, and also the flora nova micro nutrient food. the ppm in the res. was 175.

it showed improvement for a few days and the ppm went from 175 to 100.  so I fed it again.  brought the ppm up to 250 by mixing with 1/3 strength mix of nutrients and adding it to the reservoir.  The PH of the reservoir is at a constant 6.4 with my digital meter. 

The plant seems to be getting spots on the leaves again.  could it be that I am not feeding it enough? 

If you know of a link here that already talks about this problem, could you please forward it!

Thank you :laugh:

ps,  that glass gar is my co2 generator.  it has a slurry of sugar, yeast, and water in it.  the hose goes to the top of the plant.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

Re: Could someone help me ID whats wrong with my plant pls? [Re: Saren]
    #754341 - 10/22/14 06:13 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Looks liks cal/mag def. dude. :grin:

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #754344 - 10/22/14 06:16 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Your not feeding them nearly enough. Depending on strain I'm at 700 to 1600 ppm depending on what phase of growth they are in.

I'll be honest with ya though your words say underfed. Your pictures say overfed.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

Re: Could someone help me ID whats wrong with my plant pls? [Re: Magash]
    #754347 - 10/22/14 06:20 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I saw the burn tips but i had brown spots just like this. So can he have over fed but still lack cal/mag??

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Could someone help me ID whats wrong with my plant pls? [Re: budgrowerwannabe]
    #754349 - 10/22/14 06:25 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

budgrowerwannabe said:
I saw the burn tips but i had brown spots just like this. So can he have over fed but still lack cal/mag??

I fully agree but until he has the nutrients at the proper levels he shouldn't be adding additives to cure the problem. Feed the proper levels then fix the nutrient problems that come up with additives or ph adjustments. :wink:

I'm gonna go by what he said and assume he underfed.:shrug:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

OfflineSaren
Stranger
    #754350 - 10/22/14 06:38 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Thank you for the replies!

you can see why I am confused as to whats going on.  I feel like if this would be a soil grow,  I would be way underfeeding.  But the symptoms look like nutrient burn.  but then again,  it also looks like a deficiency.

How many days should it take before I notice improvements if I bring the ppm up to 800 to 1000 range?  I suppose if it reacts bad to that then give it plain old RO water then eh?

again, thanks for the help everyone

OfflineSaren
Stranger
    #754351 - 10/22/14 06:39 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

oh yea,  its Rockstar Kush,  about 25 days into flower.  started from seed.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #754352 - 10/22/14 06:56 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

The general health of the plant should improve right away. Plant damage that has happened won't become undamaged. The new growth should be healthy and normal.

--------------------

OfflineSaren
Stranger
    #754373 - 10/23/14 07:47 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Last night, before lights went out I bumped up the food to 3/4 strength.

I know probably not the best to give it food before bed, but I was too excited not to lol.

this morning it really looks better tho.  it has perked up way more than it has in the last few weeks even.

Thank you for the help! 

I am still going to keep a close eye on it.  If anyone has any suggestions still I would love to hear them.

Cheers! :laugh:

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #754530 - 10/24/14 09:08 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

pH is too high dude.  You should be at 5.8.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineSaren
Stranger
Re: Could someone help me ID whats wrong with my plant pls? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #755201 - 10/30/14 08:07 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Hawksresurrection said:
pH is too high dude.  You should be at 5.8.

How are you sure?  Not that I doubt you, but the plant is recovering nicely, pH is still at 6.3.  I've had the best results in soil with a pH of 6.3  and I'm using the ph perfect series of AN nutrients which set the ph exactly at 6.3. why would hyrdo be different?  What is your reasoning?

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #755232 - 10/30/14 02:21 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

You aren't running soil though.  You're in hydro.  Hydroponics requires a lower ph.  There's a chart somewhere around here that shows what's available at different pH levels.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineSaren
Stranger
Re: Could someone help me ID whats wrong with my plant pls? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #755897 - 11/04/14 10:26 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I believe I know the chart you are referring to.

This is so odd tho,  with what you are saying I should be experiencing more nutrient uptake problems.  But since I started adding more food,  and keeping the PH at 6.3,  the plant is now thriving.

so either my PH pen is not working correct,  or the genetics of this particular plant like higher ph? 

Ive been reading from others as well about a PH of 5.8 for hydro.  So I am confused.  I wonder what variable could be making my plant like the higher PH in hydro?

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #755957 - 11/04/14 09:04 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

You're over thinking this.  Running it at 6.3 isn't going to kill your plant.  The can definitely survive and do ok.  But it's not the optimal range for hydro.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineBubbaGump
Stranger

#755959 - 11/04/14 09:29 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Get some cal/mag for sure. Thats 100% what those spots are. And you're using RO water which I think lacks some minerals. I use super vit along with cal/mag and never have those problems anymore.

OfflineSaren
Stranger
    #756013 - 11/05/14 01:39 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Hawksresurrection said:
You're over thinking this.  Running it at 6.3 isn't going to kill your plant.  The can definitely survive and do ok.  But it's not the optimal range for hydro.

I lol'ed,  yea you are probably correct

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Could someone help me ID whats wrong with my plant pls? [Re: BubbaGump]
    #756107 - 11/05/14 10:56 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

BubbaGump said:
Get some cal/mag for sure. Thats 100% what those spots are. And you're using RO water which I think lacks some minerals. I use super vit along with cal/mag and never have those problems anymore.

There was more going on than just spots

--------------------

-niteowl

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #756447 - 11/08/14 12:08 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I'd raise the ppm to 600-750 to start (I go up to 1100 for vigorous and healthy plants, usually). I'd also make sure your magnesium is in check.

I don't use DWC but I'd probably go with Hawk's advise for pH, I run around 6-6.2 in coco, but the root zone has a tenancy to lower that number, so Hawk is probably right on the money. You could also try adding 1 gram/gal epsom salt to try to correct your problem, you should also make sure your K isn't to high as to not lock out Ca.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder