Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
LED VS HPS
    #754098 - 10/20/14 05:44 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Taken from High Times

Quote:

With America quickly noticing how much power the cannabis industry draws from the grid (as high as one percent of the country’s total electricity usage), the hunt is on for the most efficient grow light. It’s well known that more expensive LED lights are much cheaper than others, but does this really apply to growing plants? Is it really worth making the switch from HID to LED?

A study published this June concluded that “the most efficient HPS and LED fixtures have equal efficiencies, but the initial capital cost per photon delivered from LED fixtures is five to ten times higher than HPS fixtures.” Yes that’s right, they measured light by the photon; pretty intense right?

Another interesting finding in the study is that light quality is much less important than light quantity. While light quality will govern certain aspects of plant metabolism, it has a small effect on photosynthesis, which is the most important driving factor in plant development. While this goes against what many LED grow light manufacturers have to say about their products and the wavelengths they put out but, the fact remains that HPS lights are still the workhorse of the indoor cannabis industry, and for good reason.

It wasn’t just any kind of HPS light that took the crown in that study: double-ended HPS fixtures were around 60% more efficient than the common mogul-base HPS fixtures.

The study suggests that “just as precision irrigation can improve water efficiency, precision lighting can improve electrical efficiency,” meaning that different arrangements in a grow room or greenhouse would require HPS, LED, or both in tandem. Grow rooms with highly spaced benches will benefit from LED lighting because it provides a more focused beam. On the other hand, grow rooms with more of a “sea of green” would benefit from HPS because less light would be lost to the floor or walls in its wider beam. LED’s have the advantage of being cooler to the touch and they can be used right in between the plants where 100% of light emitted gets captured. The precision delivery of light in LED fixtures also makes them ideal for supplemental greenhouse lighting.

As research in lighting continues, there’s confidence that the cost of LED lighting will go down, and their quality as grow lights will go up. Completely new technology is emerging as well, so-called FIPEL™ Panel Lighting is supposed to hit the market some time next year.

The moral of the story is small-scale growers should stick to HPS lighting if they want to save money, with double ended bulbs being the best option for higher wattage fixtures, say 1000 W. For larger scale operations, a careful layout of the garden and its lighting is essential and can save a grower thousands in electric bills.

http://www.hightimes.com/read/grow-lighting-led-vs-hps

I myself believe that LED is the way of the future for sure but as for right now I'm not gonna give a opinion cause I don't want the LED guys breathing down my neck.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: LED VS HPS [Re: Magash] * 1
    #754116 - 10/20/14 08:00 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Wait wait wait, hold on, did I just read that correctly... You read High Times? :lol:

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: LED VS HPS [Re: phychotron]
    #754120 - 10/20/14 08:30 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

phychotron said:
Wait wait wait, hold on, did I just read that correctly... You read High Times? :lol:

If it's around I'll pick it up. The latest products for growing are in it. Articles by some of the top growers and breeders. Info on the latest strains. Not known for giving false info. Stupid stories yeah but the grow info is usually right, basic but right. As a grower and breeder who makes a living at this it would be stupid to not to look at all sources of information. :shrug:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

Offlinemagic420
forager

Re: LED VS HPS [Re: phychotron]
    #754121 - 10/20/14 08:32 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

lol! didn't they interview Jerry Garcia?

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: LED VS HPS [Re: magic420] * 1
    #754123 - 10/20/14 08:38 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

magic420 said:
lol! didn't they interview Jerry Garcia?

Not sure. I've hated the dead since the first note of their music hit my ears. (I had a lot of fun tripping at their concerts though but I wish I had my phone and some earphones with me):wink:

--------------------

Offline13buds
Trichome Farmer
 User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Re: LED VS HPS [Re: Magash]
    #754131 - 10/20/14 11:37 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

hygro hybrid on youtube has a current side by side dwc hps vs led comparison going, good stuff when you can see it in action.  just sharing some fyi.  :stoner:

HH taught me how to set up dwc and scrog and magash taught me how/what to feed and when, now if I could only dry and cure properly so all my stuff didnt taste like hay..  :wow:

:stoner:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:1:growingweed:3:growingweed:B:farmerdance:U:growingweed:D:growingweed:S:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom