Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

Loc: funkytown Flag
Tissue culture attempt * 1
    #753501 - 10/16/14 02:50 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Got a tissue culture setup with the hope of keeping a strain alive that I failed to clone in veg. Can't seem to confirm that a harvest ready plant can/can't be cultured. I am seeing lots of species of flowers and trees with buds and even baby fruits forming on branch section being cultured so I don't see why not. Pics to follow.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Tissue culture attempt [Re: GreenHorns]
    #753504 - 10/16/14 02:58 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Should be interesting to see your results. Tissue culture does work on cannabis.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

Re: Tissue culture attempt [Re: Magash]
    #753515 - 10/16/14 03:56 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Not to far off from lc or agar cultures with mushrooms. Same principles but with hormones in the mix. Have pics but need my new laptop to upload them. I'll be doing cultures from 2 separate branches and a leaf.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

#754601 - 10/25/14 06:49 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Ok so I put it off till after I built a flow hood. I made the cuts the other day and will get pics up as soon as I can. I took a few meristem cuts off a side branch from the center, as well as some leaf samples with and without trichromes. This plant was a work of art. I hope this shit works.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

Offline13buds
Trichome Farmer
 User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
    #754624 - 10/25/14 10:52 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

:popcorn::bonghit2:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:1:growingweed:3:growingweed:B:farmerdance:U:growingweed:D:growingweed:S:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Tissue culture attempt [Re: 13buds]
    #755126 - 10/29/14 05:22 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

TC on cannabis seems so appealing. Mainly because you can keep multiple mothers without all the extra equipment and space.
:strokebeard:

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Tissue culture attempt [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #755170 - 10/29/14 08:40 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

truth

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

Re: Tissue culture attempt [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #755427 - 10/31/14 02:15 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

It seems like even with 100% success the rate of growth and time it take to go from cutting to veg stage is quite a bit longer. But the idea of mailing clones, crossing questionable state lines and keeping my strain catalog alive in a mini fridge sounds stupendous.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Tissue culture attempt [Re: GreenHorns] * 1
    #756333 - 11/07/14 10:39 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

A lot of plants in commercial nurseries and aquarium trade are tissue cultured. This is because you can start 10 000 with a few sleeves of petri dishes. There's a threshold when stem propagation just isn't worth it anymore, most of us will never reach that point. Even huge ass greenhouses just do fine with the old school method of propagation. I saw something ages ago about commercial lettuce farms in china using LEDs and keeping their grow 100% sterile and they boasted some ridiculous yield over the control. So I'm sure it has it's place. I think the time it takes from the budding callus would be the most significant measure of time, or perhaps once things start leaving a petri dish. How do you plan on transferring?

I think I had 4 labs on my cell structure and function course where we worked with tissue culture, the first two labs were at the start of the year and the last 2 were towards the end of the second semester. I don't know if speed was our goal though, we took plant tissue, sanitized it with hydrogen peroxide, I think we then cut small sections and placed on the homrone treated agar. Once the callus formed we induced rooting, we cut around the roots that formed and placed the agar into some plug trays that just had more nutrient rich agar. Is that it? Hormone treatment 1 = callus hormone treatment 2 = mixture of auxins and cytokins to produce roots and shoots, I think you can do this separately too. Another pro to this is, once you have a sterile culture you could just root shoots and it would be significantly faster.

Here's the thing though, you could probably save a lot of space if say this took 3 months to get a rooted clone, you could just start 3 months ahead. Once you have roots and a few sets of leaves it couldn't take any longer than regular cloning at this point and you're guaranteed uniform plants.

I'd like to screw around with this, maybe store a couple petris at a friends place for a rainy day. Have you looked into those filter boxes for tissue culture propagation?

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

Re: Tissue culture attempt [Re: captain.koons]
    #758819 - 11/24/14 01:21 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

The only thing free of contam is the meristem cuttings which are forming calluses now. I'm going to just leave them hibernating till after I relocate. It does seem to take forever. Not as practical as I hoped but still a cool method I'm enjoying. But yeah it'll take 3 or more months to go from cut to callus to shoot to plant. Even then they may require more initial veg time to reach clone size.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

#760148 - 12/03/14 03:46 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Got some callus growth now. Looks like a contam creeped in a few but I may be able to cut it out or just isolate the growth in new media. Once stable ill introduce cytokinin to try and get stem growth. With all the work I'm leaning toward it being better to just keep cuts alive untill you confirm genetic quality rather than culturing the shit that turned out well.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Tissue culture attempt [Re: GreenHorns] * 1
    #769321 - 02/17/15 11:10 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

How's it coming?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom