Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

UV light to boost resin
    #749450 - 09/24/14 01:36 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I've wondered how people get certain strains so resinous, and there may be multiple answers but apparently adding some UV lights to your flower room will boost the plants natural resin production. Saw someone refer to it as "life changing" to add UV lights. I'm just cut and pasting this...

What if I told you that increasing the potency of your favorite strains was as easy as hanging up a few 20 watt florescent lights? To good to be true? More like too true not to do. It turns out the same thing baking your skin at the beach can make prized buds swell with THC. Ultra-violet (UV) light has the power to turn a good strain into a real head-knocker.

What Is UV Light?

At this point you might be asking, "how is UV light different from normal light?" Even though humans can't see it, a good way to think of UV is to visualize a rainbow and pretend there is an extra color band past the blue and purple. All light is basically just waves of energy, and UV light is just like any other form of radiation. These waves wash over your plants at different frequencies (how many waves pass per second). UV light has a smaller gap between each wave than visible light, which means more waves are passing per second. This gives UV high energy, making it more like an X-ray than a radio wave.

How Does UV Light Effect Marijuana Plants?

But what does all this mean to your cannabis garden? To answer that, we need to investigate how UV light affects plants cells. Ultra-violet radiation, particularly UVB, has been shown to be detrimental to plant cell function. UV causes damage to plant cells in the same way it tears through your skin, eventually causing sunburn. As a result of this damage, all plants have created defenses against UV in the form of gene UVR8.

UVR8 is a protein molecule which senses UV all by itself, and then "tells" plant cells to change their behavior. Exactly how UVR8 molecules sense UV was recently discovered and is pretty interesting. UVR8 is what chemists call a "dimer." which just means that it's made of two structurally similar protein subunits. When UV light hits the two protein subunits in UVR8, their charge weakens and they break apart. To help visualize this, imagine rubbing two balloons against one another. The balloons will stick together because of a static charge. Now imagine the balloons get rained on. The water takes the static charge with it and the two balloons fly apart. In this example, the balloons are the two protein subunits and the rain is UV light cascading down on the plant cell. After the protein subunits break apart, they head to the cell nucleus to deliver their information.

More UV Can Mean More THC

One of these changes caused by this information is very important in your cannabis garden. UV stress stimulates cannabis' production of chemicals via the phenylpropanoid pathway, specifically malonyl-CoA and phenylalanine. Why is this important? It's important because cannabis uses malonyl-CoA to make Olivtol, which it in turn uses to make THC. Now we can see the specific pathway which cannabis uses to increase potency when exposed to UV light.

UV light is already present in your garden, but it's being blocked by the special glass your bulb is made of. Lamp manufacturers must use this type of glass by law because UV light can cause skin cancer when humans are overexposed. You wouldn't want everyone getting cancer from street lights would you? You can increase the amount of UV getting to your cannabis by mixing metal halide bulbs into your bloom room and leaving the glass off your air-cooled hoods. But a better and safer way is to buy and install cheap fluorescent UV lights.

Remember, UV light causes stress to the plant, so put the fluorescents on timers and only have them on for part of the light cycle. Having them on for fifteen minutes of every hour should do the trick. The only downside of this whole process is that yields go down slightly. The plant has to reroute resources and undergoes some physical damage from the UV. As long as you don't overdo the UV the increase in quality is well worth the decrease in yield.

Source: http://bigbudsmag.com/grow/how/article/get-more-thc-your-medical-marijuana-plants-using-uv-light-august-2012

Use shit like this apparently

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline13buds
Trichome Farmer
 User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Re: UV light to boost resin [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #749452 - 09/24/14 02:47 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

that doesnt look like a UV bulb (clearly says it is) :grin: but more of a compact fluorescent or CFL bulb.  :shrug:

I use UV bulbs inside my flowhood to kill airborn pathogens (mold spores, bacteria etc...) that might be clinging to the inside of my hepa filters...  UV lights do some damage if over exposed thats for sure... 

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11120537#11120537
(not mine but exactly what Im talking about)

it all sounds plausible but Id rather accomplish the same thing by feeding properly at proper times.  :ganja:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:1:growingweed:3:growingweed:B:farmerdance:U:growingweed:D:growingweed:S:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: UV light to boost resin [Re: 13buds]
    #749455 - 09/24/14 05:39 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I guess they just look like CFL now. I wonder if there's a much better alternative than reptile lights. I think I recall seeing UV range LED but I haven't checked

Offlinewebster10

Re: UV light to boost resin [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #749458 - 09/24/14 06:20 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

A friend in real life has those LED UV's. He says he noticed they helped but not a huge major difference. He also used only the UV's for one grow and the plants flowered fine but not as good as they did with real lights + the UVs

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: UV light to boost resin [Re: webster10]
    #749469 - 09/24/14 09:09 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I used uv light and did notice a difference but not enough to keep them in the garden. You can also get a boost in crystle production with added potassium.

:crazy2:

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

Re: UV light to boost resin [Re: Magash]
    #749471 - 09/24/14 09:29 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Whats that diamond weed!! :rockthefuckout:

Great pics Mag you grow these?

Budgrower:stayfunky:

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: UV light to boost resin [Re: budgrowerwannabe]
    #749475 - 09/24/14 09:57 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah I grew them. Been posting these pics here and on the Shroomery for years there all oldies. Back before I broke my good camera and didn't have to use a phone.

The strains in the Pic are Lifesaver, Blockhead, and one of my first strains that's clone only called Emerald Assassin (clone only cause I could never get the traits to stabilize with it).

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

#749480 - 09/24/14 10:14 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

OOO hell yea there nice looking dude . I hear yea about use in your phone thats all I have to.

Look at these nice nugs of your haze. But look how shitty the pic is on my phone. If it was a better quality pic you would know that strain. I might have already seen these pics, but fuck there still nice as always

Offline13buds
Trichome Farmer
 User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Re: UV light to boost resin [Re: budgrowerwannabe]
    #749541 - 09/24/14 11:53 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

:awehigh:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:1:growingweed:3:growingweed:B:farmerdance:U:growingweed:D:growingweed:S:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:

Offlinewebster10

#749564 - 09/24/14 12:42 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
I used uv light and did notice a difference but not enough to keep them in the garden. You can also get a boost in crystle production with added potassium.

:crazy2:

What's been the best product you have found for supplemental K?

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: UV light to boost resin [Re: webster10]
    #749600 - 09/24/14 02:07 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

With the Maxi series of nutrients they have already taken care of it (Well it's high enough for me). I'm not real picky though if I do need to ad anything extra I'll go with a General Hydroponics product or something from Botanicare

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract