Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offline13buds
Trichome Farmer
 User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
trouble shooting help needed on 1000w lighting
    #745550 - 08/29/14 12:25 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Ive had no issues until last week.  I went up to my bud room and my light was out..  so I went for my back up bulb and that was my back up so I put a MH in its place until I got my new bulb.

2 days later the MH wasnt on but it didnt look burnt out :confused2:

so I check my ballast (advanced nutrients 1000w dimmable baddass E-ballast), its running and fan is blowing, I check my timer, its powered and working...  wtf

so sat - tues my plant was dark (week 3 budding) b4 I got my new bulb..  all is good..

tonight I go back up to check on things and WTF!!!!  my lights not on again and the bulb is clearly not blown...  wtf HELP!??!

I know it shut off when it was supposed to but it never came back on after I installed it and it was on then.. fired right up, but it wont spark the next time to come back on? 

am I missing a part to check?  :shrug2:

what could keep causing this?  why wont the bulb stay on or even turn back on??

I even put another identical ballast in to check and it did the same thing.  :wow:

Im stumped.  anyone had this happen to them and how did you remidy this situation cus Im out of brain power..  :banghead:

:bonghit:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:1:growingweed:3:growingweed:B:farmerdance:U:growingweed:D:growingweed:S:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:

Edited by 13buds (08/29/14 12:34 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: trouble shooting help needed on 1000w lighting [Re: 13buds]
    #745551 - 08/29/14 12:39 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

It's gotta be the timer then.  You are manually firing it up while the timer is on, then when it switches it off it isn't actually turning it back on.  My first step would be to replace the timer.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offline13buds
Trichome Farmer
 User Gallery

Re: trouble shooting help needed on 1000w lighting [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #745564 - 08/29/14 04:54 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

so I took the timer off and still nothing..  I had this cheap china made e ballast sitting around and hooked it up..  my light came on.  :waits:

how would 2 identical ballasts blow out in 2 days.  thats signs of a power surge right?

so the first bulb I blew went out due to my 1st ballast blowing out.?  maybe.  lol
then once I hooked up my 2nd ballast it fried sometime overnight. ?.  maybe. :shrug:
so now Im on my 3rd ballast and everything is working as of now.  :strokebeard:

so when my light is set to come on next and my light doesnt come on and this 3rd ballast is fried what would that be??  bad power source or power surges or what? 

I have a 1800w extension cord plugged into my timer and the power cord to my ballast plugged into the timer and thats it.  nothing else is on this power source, its dedicated to my 1000w light.  :blazed:

:thanx: for your time.

cus replacing ballasts can get very pricey.  :smirk:

--------------------
:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:1:growingweed:3:growingweed:B:farmerdance:U:growingweed:D:growingweed:S:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

#745565 - 08/29/14 05:27 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

gotta get one of those power tester things with the red and black metal tipped things andestablish if there's power going to the light and coming out of the ballast/cables

Offline13buds
Trichome Farmer
 User Gallery

#745566 - 08/29/14 05:50 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

13buds said:
so I took the timer off and still nothing..  I had this cheap china made e ballast sitting around and hooked it up..  my light came on.  :waits:

its got power, 2 ballast were bad all the sudden..  :shrug:

--------------------

OfflineSmokeSomeHash
Littlest pee pee on da block
 User Gallery

Loc: murica Flag
    #745568 - 08/29/14 07:06 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Advanced NUTRIENTS makes ballasts?

wow

anyways...first off ifs not recommended you use extension cords with ballasts especially 1000w. Even if rated for enough watts and amps its still not reccomended. Plug in to outlet directly. Thats prolly not the problem though.

Sometimes there are compatibility issues with bulbs/ballasts. It is not uncommon for a certain brand of bulb to work fine with one brand of ballast and not work with another brand.

its also possible that you got some shit luck and got 2 bad ballasts, but id guess its a bad combo.

i just looked up those "badass" ballasts and i dunno...it ready super sketched out. All about burning lamps brighter (hotter) and increasing lumens.  Go look at hortilux and they say lumens and par dont matter.

what is the exact brand and type of bulbs you have tried? Also what is your ballast?

--------------------

Edited by SmokeSomeHash (08/29/14 07:16 AM)

Offline13buds
Trichome Farmer
 User Gallery

Re: trouble shooting help needed on 1000w lighting [Re: SmokeSomeHash]
    #745583 - 08/29/14 10:21 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

The bulbs matched the ballast.  Well not now. But they were all baddass brand bulbs/ballast. 

Now I have an eye hortilux super hps with a generic eballast.

I have about 8hrs until my light is supposed to turn back on yet...

--------------------

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #745593 - 08/29/14 01:25 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

That's crazy.  Have you tried them on other outlets?  Have you taken any of them down to your head shop to figure out what's wrong with them?  If they are both the same brand, then I would think that it's a shitty brand, and I personally wouldn't be buying a ballast from advanced nutrients.

How old are they?  Still under warranty?

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineSmokeSomeHash
 User Gallery

Re: trouble shooting help needed on 1000w lighting [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #745615 - 08/29/14 03:17 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Hawksresurrection said:
If they are both the same brand, then I would think that it's a shitty brand, and I personally wouldn't be buying a ballast from advanced nutrients.

--------------------

Offline13buds
Trichome Farmer
 User Gallery

#745647 - 08/29/14 07:35 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

So it was the AN ballasts, they were about a year old.  EBay purchase.  Ill have to check warrenty statuses. 

Not that I want to continue using these but in a pinch they will do for backups.

Just odd how they both went back to back like that.  :confused2:

Ill be getting this ballast from now on.

--------------------

OfflineSmokeSomeHash
 User Gallery

#745650 - 08/29/14 07:57 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

HF is a good brand and the phantom 2s are the new model of the older phantom. I sell a lot of those and my customers love them. That model comes with a dual plug to use with hydrofarm reflectors as well as other brands like sunlight supply. Also if you are going to run in 240 make sure to buy the cable sold seperately.

what reflector and bulb will you be using?

you mentioned hortilux earlier...and a hortilux super hps with a phantom 2 is a good combo.

--------------------

Offline13buds
Trichome Farmer
 User Gallery

#745655 - 08/29/14 09:15 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

SmokeSomeHash said:

what reflector and bulb will you be using?

you mentioned hortilux earlier...and a hortilux super hps with a phantom 2 is a good combo.

that combo.  :yesnod:

I was planning on switching over to them as my equip needed but I didnt expect it to be all at once :eek:

I like to plan my purchases, I have to save money to buy this eqip and I like to have backups so I have time to get the cash up to replace as needed.  2 ballasts and a bulb in 2 days was quite a hit in my wallet..  :headbang:

if anything more were to fail (minus a cheap timer etc) I would be screwed until I somehow came up with the miracle/cash..  :smirk:

:ohwell:

time for a new ballast I guess.  :stoner:

oh this is the hood Im using but I want to upgrade to a magnum xxxl

that "made in china" Eballast is also the current one until I get the new phantom 2 in.

but Im going to have the eye hortilux super hps bulb with the phantom 2 and eventually get a magnum xxxl hood. 

:shrug:

Im trying..  Im in my second year of growing and Ive done soil for the last time and just recently switched to DWC in a 4'x4' single plant SCRog net set up. 

I was a full FF nute line user until I was put onto the KISS method of feeding and just dedicated a whole room to veg/flower and now all my equip wants to fail... :wow:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies