Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
Possible Hybridization Technique
    #506908 - 12/20/10 06:44 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

So, I did a lot of research into protoplast fusion for hybridizing various species of fungi, but I have read that the main application for this technology is in agriculture. It allows one to cross different species and even different genera on occasion. I know that researchers have successfully grafted cannabis and the hops plant with no effect on the hops plant, but what if one could hybridize these two related plants via protoplast fusion? I believe you would need to have a small to medium lab setup, and the materials to make an osmotically stabilized solution, and there is a way to isolate successful fusants. One would also need to be able to access the female reproductive cells of each plant after they have undergone meiosis, such that one would hopefully end up with a female version of the hybrid, though I'm not entirely certain if you couldn't do the same with male pollen and breed the male and female hybrids, I dont think that usually works.

Anyway, I would love to discuss it with someone with more experience with either this technology or plant biology. I will link to a rather long technical discussion about its applications in the mycology field that I made a couple of years back Here

let me know what you guys think
agmotes165:cool::thumbup:

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Possible Hybridization Technique [Re: Data]
    #507014 - 12/20/10 02:23 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Sounds interesting but I don't know a thing about it. :shrug:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinemidi.experiment
Stranger
    #727007 - 04/20/14 10:55 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Hey There - I think this protoplast fusion thing has legs.  I have been doing some research on ways to incorporate the delta-9-THC metabolic pathway into something that isn't technically "cannabis".  Making a humulus x cannabis plant, along the lines of triticale (wheat and rye cross), makes a lot of sense to try.

Somehow, the trick is to get the delta-9-THC metabolic pathway into another package...why not try humulus as they are the same genus.  I have grown humulus (I'm a home brewer) and boy they grow big and fast.

By the way, I'm a cancer biologist (I work in small biotech) I know enough molecular biology to think that this would work, but not enough botany to know this would work.  It is certainly worth a try.

It reminds me of the Steely Dan song "Kid Charlemagne"...

"Just by chance you crossed the diamond with the pearl
You turned it on the world
That's when you turned the world around..."

I would love to continue the discussion, even though it seems to be 4 years old...

Cheers

midi.experiment

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: Possible Hybridization Technique [Re: midi.experiment]
    #727116 - 04/21/14 07:52 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

It looks like hops and cannabis have the same number of chromosomes, and are closely related. They have very similar flower structure (both female and male flowers), and I know that hops are safe to consume and to smoke (smoking hops is recommended for people with insomnia).

The major resinous constituents that give hops their characteristic aromas, flavors, and selective antimicrobial action are produced via the same pathways (Mevalonic acid pathway and/or MEP/DOXP pathway) as cannabinoids, with the exception of key enzymes. Several varieties of hops produces up to 16g alpha acids for every 100g of hops cones (this doesn't take into account all other terpenoids in the resin content) and can produce 1/2 to 2 lbs of dried cones per plant outdoors. I've seen anecdotal evidence of 15-20g of BHO for every 100g of bud. The potential for similar yields outdoors is there, and even if it doesn't pan out like I enjoy daydreaming about sometimes (a plot of 30ft THC power houses disguised as the trusty brewer's friend), it would be a really interesting novelty plant to grow stealth THC outdoors, and might make for some interesting beer brewing projects.

If I can ever secure a good place to set up a proper "lab" to test this out in, I would love to give it a shot...and of course would give out as many seeds/rhizomes as I could cultivate to the community. :gethigh:

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #727119 - 04/21/14 08:14 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

agmotes165 said:
If I can ever secure a good place to set up a proper "lab" to test this out in, I would love to give it a shot...and of course would give out as many seeds/rhizomes as I could cultivate to the community. :gethigh:

Shoot me a pm and let's talk shop.

--------------------

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

Re: Possible Hybridization Technique [Re: Harry_Ba11sach] * 2
    #727136 - 04/21/14 09:40 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

I like where this is going.

Offlinetiltajoel
Stranger
Re: Possible Hybridization Technique [Re: Inocuole]
    #744460 - 08/19/14 07:28 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Any updates on this project?

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

Re: Possible Hybridization Technique [Re: tiltajoel]
    #744490 - 08/20/14 07:58 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I would like to hear that you have some weed-beer brewing from your canna-hops, plz.

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: Possible Hybridization Technique [Re: Inocuole]
    #744577 - 08/20/14 06:55 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Nothing...I have no lab, no place to grow out any fusants, and still not living in a legal state...which makes it that much tougher to pull off :shrug:

Its on my to-do list though :dancingshroom:

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #745253 - 08/25/14 08:58 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

If only you were interested in relocating :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: Possible Hybridization Technique [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #745334 - 08/26/14 07:45 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

:zomgwtf:

Any mechanical engineers needed out in CO? I keep applying and keep getting zero calls :shrug:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals