Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineFRACTALife
Rust Fuckin' Cohle
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Carcosa Flag
My dad asked an interesting question ...
    #742196 - 07/30/14 06:51 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Does anyone know how many strains of marijuana there are total? I mean- the number is constantly growing, but I'm wondering if anyone is keeping tabs on it.

The debate we were having is if there were more strains of weed than types of beer.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBlueBerry_SwisherS
Heart Slowed

Loc: Raw Headspace Flag
Re: My dad asked an interesting question ... [Re: FRACTALife] * 3
    #742225 - 07/30/14 09:47 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Two.

1. Good

2. Bad

There you go.

--------------------

Let food be thy medicine

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Re: My dad asked an interesting question ... [Re: BlueBerry_Swisher]
    #742236 - 07/30/14 10:23 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

BlueBerry_Swisher said:
Two.

1. Good

2. Bad

There you go.

:rofl2:

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

OfflineSham87
マリオ
Male

Re: My dad asked an interesting question ... [Re: KaptKid]
    #742241 - 07/30/14 11:06 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

KaptKid said:
Quote:

BlueBerry_Swisher said:
Two.

1. Good

2. Bad

There you go.

:rofl2:

/thread

--------------------
...once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

InvisibleUltimateDevotion
TwistedByDesign
Male User Gallery

Re: My dad asked an interesting question ... [Re: Sham87]
    #742273 - 07/31/14 08:16 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Ooooooh, she's a funny one. :loldongs:

--------------------
Harry Detroit in 304 made one last promise now
"I'm goin out without a trace, a vanishing act before your eyes"

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Re: My dad asked an interesting question ... [Re: FRACTALife]
    #742321 - 07/31/14 01:54 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Strain is bullshit. If you wanna get technical there is no such thing as a strain. Every strain has phenotypes no matter how developed it is. Seed to seed from the same mom is always going to be different somehow. Even clone to clone, things have variation.

On top of that, you get every fuck head accidentally growing some hermie bagseed and calling it "Bagdad finger bang" and suddenly its a new strain.

So the answer to your question is that there are as many strains as there are plants growing in the world.

If you wanna really classify shit,  there are 3 "strains". Indica dom, sativa dom and "too high to tell"

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

Invisiblem00nshine
HEDONISMBOT
 User Gallery

Loc: INEUPHORIA
Re: My dad asked an interesting question ... [Re: RasJeph] * 3
    #742341 - 07/31/14 03:10 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

How about Ruderalis?

--------------------

OfflineFRACTALife
Rust Fuckin' Cohle
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My dad asked an interesting question ... [Re: RasJeph]
    #742374 - 07/31/14 06:35 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Ya I told him my answer- three main types of marijuana- stativa, indica, ruderarelawhatever but that there was an ENDLESS combination and constantly growing number of "strains"- surely more than types of beer. That was our little stupid debate. :lol:

He said that there were over 20,000 different types of beer.:shrug:

But even if the difference in many strains is nothing/little more than a name- that there would still be more strains of weed than brands/styles of beer- since pretty much every plant is it's own strain in a way

Really, what strain your weed is is more like a fun fact, if you get shit weed you don't care what it's called, and it you get some one puff stuff - you still don't really care what it's called unless you want to remember the name because you appreciate the flavor of it or it's potency.

In the end, it's all about how good the plant is taken care of.

Speaking of silly strain names , anyone ever had CPR? It's one of the 3 different strains I have right now - the other two are "skittles" and "nebula" according to my caregiver who is in his fifties and has a brain injury- so I take his words with a grain of salt- but the cannabis itself is excellent.:vaped:

--------------------

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Re: My dad asked an interesting question ... [Re: m00nshine]
    #742410 - 07/31/14 08:09 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

m00nshine said:
How about Ruderalis?

I often don't count ruderalis although I know I should. It just seems like a characteristic of indica or sativa plants, not really a different plant altogether.

Indica is pretty easily identified by its characteristics. Fat leafs, stocky plant, tight buds. Sativa is stretchy and has the thinner leafs. Ruderalis can have either one of those, the only differential afaik is that it autoflowers. If it had significantly different structure I think i would count it more...consistently webbed leaf blades, non alternating nodes, something that it apart aside from the photoperiod difference.

Not trying to sound like an argumentative dick or disagree with ya, just saying why I don't separate it in my mind usually.

--------------------

OfflineFRACTALife
Rust Fuckin' Cohle
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #742445 - 07/31/14 11:15 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

hey rasjeph:bashful:

--------------------

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

Loc: funkytown Flag
    #742461 - 08/01/14 05:01 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Depends how technical yoy want to get I guess. Roughly a dozen different shit loads I'd reckon.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: My dad asked an interesting question ... [Re: GreenHorns]
    #742643 - 08/02/14 06:35 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

over 5000 for sale, but potentially millions if you count what people breed on their own. Seedfinder.eu has 5896 listed

Why wouldn't ruderalis be a 3rd classification? What does ruderalis even look like by itself? I get the impression that auto strains are for suckers. well suckers and people who live in awful climates.

Edit add: lol ruderalis

Edited by Midgetpawn (08/02/14 06:49 PM)

Offlinewebster10

Re: My dad asked an interesting question ... [Re: Midgetpawn] * 1
    #742645 - 08/02/14 07:44 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Midgetpawn said:
over 5000 for sale, but potentially millions if you count what people breed on their own. Seedfinder.eu has 5896 listed

Why wouldn't ruderalis be a 3rd classification? What does ruderalis even look like by itself? I get the impression that auto strains are for suckers. well suckers and people who live in awful climates.

I'd have to disagree. Autos have come a long way and have their place in the cannabis community. I do agree that including underground breeding, cannabis has more strains than commercially marketed beer. But if you're counting underground or "home" brewing, i'd say beer has more "kinds" :shrug:

Invisibleopenmind
cannaisseur

Loc: Cannafornia
    #742681 - 08/02/14 10:54 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

This web site lists 5896 different strains, and it also shows the Strain Lineage/Genealogy mapped out for just about every strain they list, as well as the known phenotypes for every strain they list.

http://en.seedfinder.eu/database/strains/

Quote:

RasJeph said:
Strain is bullshit. If you wanna get technical there is no such thing as a strain. Every strain has phenotypes no matter how developed it is. Seed to seed from the same mom is always going to be different somehow. Even clone to clone, things have variation....

"Strains" still have certain characteristics that are consistently more or less the same...No doubt there can be variations/phenotypes within a "strain", from plant to plant, seed to seed, but they're not such dramatic differences that I'd go as far as saying strains are bullshit.

When ever I get Jack Herer, it has always been the same over the many years of smoking regardless of who or where I get it from...but I have noticed there are two particular phenotypes I come across.

Grand Daddy Purple is always the same.

LA Confidential is always the same.

GSC is always the same.

Lemon Haze is always the same.

Cherry Pie is always the same.

My nose alone can usually identify what strain, or the general genetics of what I'm smoking, because I've become familiar with the unique aroma that certain strains have. I think the most defining characteristic that strains have is their terpene & cannabinoid profile....aroma/taste.

-OM

--------------------

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: My dad asked an interesting question ... [Re: openmind]
    #742689 - 08/03/14 03:35 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

webster10 said:
Quote:

Midgetpawn said:

I'd have to disagree. Autos have come a long way and have their place in the cannabis community. I do agree that including underground breeding, cannabis has more strains than commercially marketed beer. But if you're counting underground or "home" brewing, i'd say beer has more "kinds" :shrug:

Well I'm not apposed to autos and I agree that autos have their place. I just think the place for auto strains is outdoors someplace that gets too many hours of sun or just has unfavorable outdoor grow conditions. Auto strains definitely seem to have improved a lot over the last few years, but I think new growers look at the name "auto" and assume it's a fully automated plant. like they don't have to care for it and feed it any more than a regular strain. I just don't see any reason to choose auto strains for indoor growing besides avoiding a separate veg area to perpetually harvest. Also seems like an unbalanced trade off considering the consistent(so far) loss in plant size, yield, strength, visual appeal to just not have to switch your light times. Also the proposed optimal light schedule is 18-20 hours of light per day which means higher electric bill.

I really like Seedfinder.eu. If they didn't have their own sponsors I would say growery should totally affiliate with them.

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

#742731 - 08/03/14 04:11 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

FRACTALife said:
hey rasjeph:bashful:

:vaped:

I'm back to stay yo!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom