Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineT.J.Lazer
Stranger

Got gifted a plant need to learn to care for it quick.
    #739585 - 07/10/14 11:26 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I originally posted this in the wrong forum so I deleted it but I was looking for help caring for this plant I was gifted. it came to me with webs all all over the lower branches, yellowing on some leaves, and all the leaves are trimmed back about 2/3 of all the fan leaves.

I have no idea how big the pot should be for this plant. If I get a larger pot what nutes profile should the new soil have and will I also have nutrieated water?

I don't know what cfls I need for veg and flowering.

generally I need a guide for a single plant in a closet setting, does anyone have a suggestion I have no idea what is a good guide and what is full of myths and lore

I have no experience with this really so I just need to find out what items I need and what I need to do

also it was brought to me flowering already.

1. Are you growing from seed or clones?

I am assuming from seeds but not sure

2. How old are your plants?

I don't know but it already is flowering

3. How tall are your plants?

roughly 18"

4. What size containers are they planted in?

roughly 6" wide

5. What is your soil mix?

unknown seems usually sandy not sure if store bought or just take from the earth

6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use and how much you give per watering?

got it a pretty recently and the soil is pretty dry so I am going to water today. I was unaware of the watering schedule before I received. it

7. What is the pH of your water?

don't know what was used before I got it, but I plan to get a ph tester kit and a 3 in 1 meter.

8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio?

I was unaware if they used any additional nutes in water or soil, I need to find the appropriate ratio for this plant but I am ignorant for the lack of education I have on the subject.

9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything?

I have not I am not sure if the previous owner has. I have not personally but I see webs on the plant but I am not sure if spider mites do to my lack of knowledge, if so is neem oil safe to use?

10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights")

I just got a cfl I was using for lighting when I recieved it helical 26w 129vac 60hz, lumens, or wattage, I need to purchase appropriate lighting and need to be educated about what is a proper choice in lights for vegetative and flowering.

11. How close are your lights to the plants?

2.5" roughly

12. What size is your grow space in square feet?

2'x8' 16sqft
13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space?

don't have a temp of humidity meter in there but if I had to guess roughly 80 and low humidity

14. What is the pH of the soil?

unaware I need to get a 3in1 meter

15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space?

I see small oblong blackish bits that are not moving in webs around the lower tier fan leaves, I am not sure what they are.

16. How much experience do you have growing?

almost none I helped my friend once water and trim the finished product it wasn't amazing since it was there first time.

I have experience gardening outdoors, and indoor care for phalaenopsis orchids and fungis. I am eager to be educated by individuals who are more knowledgeable and experience than I. Should I purchase any of the Ed Rosenthal books or is this forum enough?

Edited by T.J.Lazer (07/10/14 11:32 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinewebster10

Re: Got gifted a plant need to learn to care for it quick. [Re: T.J.Lazer]
    #739606 - 07/11/14 08:59 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

A 1-2 liter pot will suffice but anything bigger is a plus. Generally soils will not have enough nutes to carry you through until harvest. Buy a soil mix (popular brands include: Fox Farm Ocean Forest, FF happy frog, FF light warrior, Roots Organic, Vermifire). With any store bought soil you will need to buy extra nutrients. Generally growers stay away from anything granular because it is difficult to gauge the dosage and it will stay in the soil and be impossible to flush. You will want to buy a liquid soluble fertilizer line. You will need a nitrogen heavy fertilizer for vegatative growth and a phosphorus heavy fert for flowering. It is also a good idea to buy a trace mineral supplement as well as a microbe supplement.
Botanicare and general hydroponics offers a cal-mag solution that will provide trace minerals.
Botanicare, fox farm, advanced nutrients, bio bizz and bio canna all have great fertilizers.

OfflineT.J.Lazer
Stranger

Re: Got gifted a plant need to learn to care for it quick. [Re: webster10]
    #739608 - 07/11/14 09:16 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Should I repot my plant in a larger pot with the nutrient rich soil?

is the scaled back leaves and some yellowing on them a sign of trouble or fine?

can I use CFLs all the way through veg and flower, what color spectrum do I need for veg and what for flowering also how many watts do I need for a single plant?

Offlinewebster10

#739611 - 07/11/14 10:53 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

There's a log on the shroomery of a single plant and the guy is using 160 watt CFL's. I'm not sure what light spectrum is needed but a quick search should give you the answer. Yeah you should repot with the nutrient rich soil. Scaled back leaves are for pruning although I'm not sure why he pruned all of the leaves but yeah it'll be fine and the yellowing could either be a deficiency caused by lack of a nutrient or pH locking a certain nutrient out. If it doesn't stop happening even after you repot and start feeding it nutrients than it is most likely a pH issue.

OfflineShroomingChaos
Connoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Southeast US
Re: Got gifted a plant need to learn to care for it quick. [Re: webster10]
    #739613 - 07/11/14 11:34 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I would suggest browsing and looking through guides on this forum for more information about what to buy. You can find anything you need to know on this forum or on Google.com. I don't know much about CFL growing considering I have always used a HPS light or flouros.  Best of luck to you!

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger
Re: Got gifted a plant need to learn to care for it quick. [Re: ShroomingChaos]
    #739770 - 07/13/14 07:58 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

If the plant is already in flower i would not transplant it due to the shock you could put on the plant, wich could have the chance to cause it to go hermi if the plants genetics are weak. Also if you are going to go cfls you will need a couple 100 watt bulbs to make sure u have enough light. But u will want a ligt that has a red/yellow spectrum of light out put. And go to a local grow store to pick up a cheap sample Nuits pack cause u wont need alot if that is your only plant u will be growing

OfflineT.J.Lazer
Stranger

Re: Got gifted a plant need to learn to care for it quick. [Re: Mrshroom]
    #739957 - 07/14/14 11:53 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

so you suggest I just keep it in the pre-existing pot and use liquid nuets? I was gonna get 8 42 real watts 6500k cfls I am not sure I could use all 8 but I think 4-6 could be used at once. So should I do 24 hour light to revert to veg so I can get it healthy and large enough to clone/flower again then transplant it then? my friend has nuets and a HPS with fan and carbon sbrubber I bought off him for flowering.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #739958 - 07/14/14 11:59 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Go straight to the HPS dude.  And yes, switch back to 24 lighting, or 18/6.  It will kind of stop growing, and then put out a bunch of funky growth, then start growing normally again.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineT.J.Lazer
Stranger

Re: Got gifted a plant need to learn to care for it quick. [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #739959 - 07/14/14 12:17 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

cool sounds like a plan does it really matter in regards to the color spectrum for veg/flowering?

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #739978 - 07/14/14 02:50 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

You can get a little bit more bushier growth with a MH, but it really doesn't make a huge difference.  Every decent large scale grower I have met, which is a decent amount, runs HPS the whole way through.  And they produce very good bud.

Once you switch to flowering the stretch anyways.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: Got gifted a plant need to learn to care for it quick. [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #740021 - 07/14/14 05:03 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

hey I just saw you say you are getting 8 42 watt lights, and am curious if the ones you are looking at are called studio or photography lights? if so make sure to establish the voltage and socket type, because I happened to notice(after I ordered some =/)that those lights use e27 socket where as most lights use e26 which apparently means potentially different voltage and thread count.

I'm only assuming they might have been studio CFL because I was doing a lot of CFL shopping this weekend and a lot of the 40ish watt bulbs were studio lights or being sold as grow lights but were just the studio lights, and the sellers fail to give a lot of info on volts/socket type.

Edit add: even if they are designed for e27 socket they may still work fine in a regular household socket. Those bulbs are so damn cheap that they are almost worth buying just to attempt to use. The ones I was going to get were $20 for 4 45-watt CFL including shipping, but yea they are for e27(extra thread) like most or all photography lights apparently. They look like this or similar...

Edited by Midgetpawn (07/14/14 06:19 PM)

OfflineT.J.Lazer
Stranger

Re: Got gifted a plant need to learn to care for it quick. [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #740106 - 07/14/14 10:02 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I got the 400 watt hps so I am doing that for both veg/flowering, seems like it will save time but prolly not money but I am not worrying about that.

OfflineTribalSeed
SoulJah

Loc: Babylon
    #740273 - 07/15/14 10:00 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

T.J.Lazer said:
I got the 400 watt hps so I am doing that for both veg/flowering, seems like it will save time but prolly not money but I am not worrying about that.

The higher powered light will make your end yield better than if you had went with CFL. So your electric cost compared to your production might just cancel out or even benefit you more in the end.

--------------------

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: Got gifted a plant need to learn to care for it quick. [Re: TribalSeed]
    #740409 - 07/16/14 06:11 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

You can still veg with CFL and use the HPS to flower. I personally just keep my HPS 12/12 and have being vegging new stuff under CFL every 1-2 months. I've been kind of surprised at how much I need to grow to just smoke regularly when the yield isn't super high.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates