Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinec1d
Stranger

26" PC Grow Box from pcgrowbox.com - Soil or Hydro for first grow?
    #736490 - 06/17/14 07:08 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Yo, thinking I'm going to invest in one of the 26"tall pc grow boxes for $299, and was wondering if anyone had experience with them and whether going hydro is really necessary or if soil would be just as fine.

I am familiar with the fact that most intermediate to advanced growers feel the PC grow box is a wasted effort, but I have quite a bit of computer equipment laying around so it'd blend pretty well, and if I could get even an ounce off a plant it would last me about 6 months if it's any good.

I am looming at getting AK49 and Amenesia Haze autoflowers from gorilla seeds, and it appears that pcgrowbox.com has either soil or hydro setups with nutrients, so that is kind of what I am thinking for a setup as I can afford to use a smaller / stealth box as I really don't smoke much at all.

Any opinions on those vendors, hydro vs soil, the grow box, or anything in general to add for a complete beginner?

Thanks guys!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 26" PC Grow Box from pcgrowbox.com - Soil or Hydro for first grow? [Re: c1d]
    #736498 - 06/17/14 08:21 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Waste of money imho.

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

Re: 26" PC Grow Box from pcgrowbox.com - Soil or Hydro for first grow? [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #736510 - 06/17/14 10:40 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

to be honest for the limited space it would not be worth it.. plus you could build a grow box for a lot cheaper.. or go get a old dresser and convert it over that will give you more room to play with plus it will allow you to be albe to make any mods to the dress like if u need more air flows or anything like that.

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: 26" PC Grow Box from pcgrowbox.com - Soil or Hydro for first grow? [Re: Mrshroom]
    #736517 - 06/17/14 11:37 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I get the impression that the main reason for going hydroponic is automation. Not sure what other reasons there are to go hydro besides maybe improved speed for commercial growing, but I know a lot of cannabis strains prefer it dryer than wetter, which may or may not make soil better choice for those kinds of strains. I really don't know.

when you say PC are you talking about those stealth computer grow things?

also why are you interested in autoflower if you dont mind me asking? I don't entirely understand why anyone would choose an autoflower strain unless they live in an area that it's not possible to grow outside.

Edited by Midgetpawn (06/17/14 11:43 AM)

Offlinec1d
Stranger

Re: 26" PC Grow Box from pcgrowbox.com - Soil or Hydro for first grow? [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #736545 - 06/17/14 02:18 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah I was looking at the PC stealth grow, as I usually have pc's / servers / routers / switches piled into a corner of my house, so a huge PC tower would be completely undetected if smell isn't much of an issue. To be honest, a gigantic PC case would be a lot less suspicious in my house than an extra dresser, not that I am terribly worried about hiding it from someone in particular, but I highly would prefer friends and family not stumbling upon a grow op when they are over and dealing with that. Also being that I smoke maybe an eighth a month of good bud, if I got an ounce out of it twice it will have paid for itself an then some, and given me enough smoke for a year.

I chose auto seeds because they seem to be fool proof for flowering, but of course as with the PC grow box I'm not committed yet, but heavily leaning that way. We do have woods around my house, buy unfortunately there are so many kids that walk through them, my only other attempts at growing (both outdoors) were ripped apart for the leaves I'm sure almost as soon as it got a couple sets of leaves. That and it's a fairly decent crime rate around me, so there is increased neighborhood watches / cop patrols / park officers walking through park areas, so I honestly wouldn't want to deal with growing pot in public at all.

So that's another reason I liked the PC growbox, some of these auto strains claim 2-3 months max from germination to flowers, and if I can pump out an ounce or two of dank in 2-3 months I can put the growbox in storage and not have that worry in the back of my mind for 4-6 months. Grow a few different strains in the growbox at once (think the newer version holds 3 plants), with the taller space of 26" and the LST shelf, I think a dry ounce per plant is very possible which would be perfect for me.

Though I'm bouncing this off you guys to see if there is a more ideal setup that uses a reasonably stealth / compact setup, as I really dig how easy the PC growbox appears to be with auto flowers, if it is actually as simple as it appears then I wouldn't mind paying that price at all - if $500 for the grow box / lights / soil / nutrients / timer / seeds produces 2 ounces I'm already ahead of the game and smiling big.

If there is differing opinions on auto flowers or the grow box I'd definitely appreciate hearing them, however price itself is not a deterrent at all to me at the current prices for the growbox and materials. If there is a comparably stealth / compact grow setup that has some benefits I'd love to hear them, as through my research this seems to produce the ideal amount for personal consumption and a good 'starter kit' to get my feet wet.

Thanks again for the replies!

OfflineTribalSeed
SoulJah

Loc: Babylon
Re: 26" PC Grow Box from pcgrowbox.com - Soil or Hydro for first grow? [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #736579 - 06/17/14 06:22 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Deadkndys420 said:
Waste of money imho.

I agree.

My reasoning is for 500 bucks you can do yourself a lot better. I was thinking of going this route when I started. Honestly a tent would work really well and would have abit of a head up over a pc box as far as an ideal grow space. They really don't stick out as bad as you think. The worst thing about it is the noise. I have ventech fans so that's probably why I have this issue, but the fans are rather loud. If you can put it in a back room or something you would be gold.

Plus you have more freedom with growing space. This is a plus for you because you are wanting to do autos. They may have progressed abit since I first started but from what I remember autos hate training. Don't wanna top them because it stresses them which dramatically affects the yield since they do grow at a different pace than photoperiods.

With autos, I think its just the fact you don't need to switch the lights. That's the only benefit I came across in my auto venture. My experience is definitely not the same as others have had, but you would get more if you just used photoperiods. Grow a nice plant in veg. Take a few clones. Veg them a week or two then turn all the lights to 12/12. You would save yourself on beans, plus you wouldn't be taking as many risks ordering them.

Just my POV bro. Do whats best for your situation, it sounds like you got a grasp on what you want. Just do some research on different components like the light and fan and ducting and tent and see how much that would be compared to a PC grow box. A lot of times the nutes they send are just enough for a grow to harvest. Sometimes.

Good Luck!
:baaaam:

--------------------

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 26" PC Grow Box from pcgrowbox.com - Soil or Hydro for first grow? [Re: TribalSeed]
    #736591 - 06/17/14 08:15 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

ventech fan sucks. there loud as fuck.

I bought one with more blades from my hydrostore for 50 bucks and its much quieter.

Offlinec1d
Stranger

Re: 26" PC Grow Box from pcgrowbox.com - Soil or Hydro for first grow? [Re: TribalSeed]
    #736603 - 06/17/14 08:38 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Yes that was another consideration was the grow tent, looking at some tents at HTG Supply, and I'd like to get a kit to see how they are constructed but a lot of tents bundled with kits seem to be quite tall. I'll have to sort out the specifics of LED bulb spectrums as well, as I'd definitely like to go LED if possible to cut down power consumption.

Any suggestions on good tents / tent kits?

Offlinec1d
Stranger

Re: 26" PC Grow Box from pcgrowbox.com - Soil or Hydro for first grow? [Re: c1d]
    #736605 - 06/17/14 08:57 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I am actually reconsidering getting this kit here:

http://www.htgsupply.com/Files/Products/Complete%5FGrow%5FTent%5FKit16%2Ejpg

I'd have to push out purchase and setup of something of those demensions for a bit, but that actually seems like the way to go, and will give me some time to learn about growing variables.

Does that seem legit? Looking at the stuff it comes with, they don't appear to price gauge too horribly for it when compared to other vendors I've found so far.

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

#736628 - 06/18/14 10:42 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

that 90 led light wont be enoff light for that size of a space.it will be too weak and will not have any penatraion power.(so in other words your plants will be getting shit for light if any.. and will strech like a mofo.

If you want to get a grow tent for a decient price but get good quality check this site out.. its were i got mine at...
http://www.gothamhydroponics.com;     i got a 6.5x6.5x6.5 and it holds two vented hoods and two carbon filters on tied to the top of the frame and its holding it just fine. i think i paid about 170 for the tent.  they have alot smaller tents for too.  and the cloth/maylar is very very thick and strong zippers too.

OfflineTribalSeed
SoulJah

Re: 26" PC Grow Box from pcgrowbox.com - Soil or Hydro for first grow? [Re: Mrshroom]
    #736629 - 06/18/14 10:52 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I got my tent, lights, and everything from ebay and amazon. It was the cheapest route I could take. I upgrade as I go along so I can actually afford to.lol.

The complete kits are nice and make everything seem really easy, but watch out because sometimes they are way overpriced. Just be a smart shopper like you would be with a car or a tv or some shit.

I'm cheap and if I can help someone save some money, I'm all about that shit.lol.

As for the setup, it really looks daunting, but it is really easy once you have everything in front of you. Two people make the job a breeze (as far as setting up a tent) but its completely possible and just as good with one working on it.

My tents are a no name brand 4x4x7 off of ebay. Turned out to be a really good tent, but that could be dumb luck.
and a VirtualSun 3x3x6.5 . Both great sturdy tents that get the job done. Be sure to look for the tents without plastic connectors. Personally I have never used them, but I have seen and heard about the connectors breaking and shit. Plus it just doesn't seem very sturdy considering the amount of weight you put on the top bars.

:baaaam:

--------------------

OfflineTribalSeed
SoulJah

#736630 - 06/18/14 10:56 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Deadkndys420 said:
ventech fan sucks. there loud as fuck.

I bought one with more blades from my hydrostore for 50 bucks and its much quieter.

I would have spent more money buying the filter and fan separate. I plan on getting a better fan soon. I don't really care about anyone hearing it because there is never anyone around to worry about, BUT that thing is loud enough on a fan speed controller to keep me and my wife up at night. Its been running nonstop since last October so its understandable I guess.
Thinking about moving the tents out of the bedroom.lol
:cookiemonster:

--------------------

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #736633 - 06/18/14 11:11 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Shit man I know your pain. I hade mine in my closet and had to wear ear plugs at night. Enclosing The fan in a big box with some Styrofoam helped some but not much.

OfflineTribalSeed
SoulJah

#736635 - 06/18/14 11:39 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Deadkndys420 said:
Shit man I know your pain. I hade mine in my closet and had to wear ear plugs at night. Enclosing The fan in a big box with some Styrofoam helped some but not much.

Fuck we got two right next to the damn bed. Our room used to be the coldest in the house so I figured putting them in there would be better come summertime. Its sweltering in there some nights.

Hell me and my wife have sex anywhere in the house except for our bedroom. Shits too hot.lol.

--------------------

Offlinec1d
Stranger

#736640 - 06/18/14 01:37 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Is there a rule of thumb or guideline to how powerful the LED should be compared to the size of the tent? I'm considering maybe just a little 3' high one from gotham hydro and build oit the tent from there.

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

#736642 - 06/18/14 02:27 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

im not sure how it fully works on a led light.. but i know for a mh/hps you want to shoot for 50wats of lighting a square foot

InvisiblebEelzeBosS
Are my eyes red?

#736643 - 06/18/14 03:17 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

c1d said:
I think a dry ounce per plant is very possible which would be perfect for me.

You're not going to get an oz dry per plant in that box. Probably not even close.

--------------------
:firecum:

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: 26" PC Grow Box from pcgrowbox.com - Soil or Hydro for first grow? [Re: bEelzeBosS]
    #736667 - 06/18/14 04:56 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Yea I think autoflowers are tiny plants, like some of the lowryder crossed autos are inches high and I think there are only 2 base ruderalis strains that make up autoflowers, and 1 is lowryder.

Well be aware that regular and female seeds are not too hard to grow, and will certainly yield more than most autos, although there are a lot of new automatic seeds so who knows. BTW that computer box may be too small, and seems wayyy too expensive. I almost smoked all of my last grows yield in less than a month and it was probably a lot more than would fit in that computer. was my 2nd grow btw.

Here's something on the benefits and disadvantages of autoflowers. Got it from a non sponsor seed vendors page. I mention that because they are trying to sell autoflowers and would be more likely to talk up autoflowers than make them look worse. To me this isn't enough to choose auto strains. esp considering they need the lights on 18-20 hours through veg and flower.

"What are the advantages of growing Autoflower plants? Autoflower plants grow from seed to maturity within about ninety days so multiple crops grown outside can be achieved in the average growers garden when weather conditions are suitable. The crop can also be staggered so a plant or two can be germinated every week providing a constant supply of smoke throughout the summer. Smaller plants are produced from autoflower seeds making them discreet and ideal for growing in the garden or even on a balcony or window sill.
Autoflower plants, due to their ruderalis genes, are a hardy plant that can grow in poor conditions and is fairly cold tolerant. They are also resistant to many diseases and insects.

What are the disadvantages of growing Autoflower plants? As autoflower plants mature rapidly only a low yield per crop can be achieved. Unless crossed well with a sativa or indica autoflower plants have a low THC content."

I always thought autoflowers were meant to be grown outside. The benefits seems mostly for outdoors in places that you cant grow regular shit.

Btw also HTGsupply is kind of expensive. I've never looked at the prices of complete tent kits but I did notice that HTG was always charging more for things I wanted to buy. oh also LED shopping is kind of a mind fuck. They are constantly being updated and the good LED systems are crazy expensive and only because the technology is brand new and they can get away with charging a lot. Not to shoot down everything you want to do =P

Offlinec1d
Stranger

Re: 26" PC Grow Box from pcgrowbox.com - Soil or Hydro for first grow? [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #736668 - 06/18/14 05:28 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

As I look more toward tents, I am leaning more toward that, and yes HTG has insane shipping prices. For one of their tent kits, I mean no way is it more than 30 lbs, its $165 within the continental US.

I'd still go for LED's I do believe despite the price, as the low power consumption / low heat output / ease of setup would be worth swallowing the cost - I just have no idea yet what I am looking for :smile:

I saw Gotham Hydro had a nice little 3' tent for under $100, and I'm starting to think twice about the auto flowers, as the more I look into set and forget type rigs the less attractive the end product seems from reading different threads. I'm looking at the 5' as well, but I just can't imagine I need that big of a grow for personal use, though I guess I've never tried before.

Are there any parts that are a particular pain in the ass to mix and match for tents between vendors, like vent fans or lighting apparatus? I'm considering just getting a base tent and going from there, but not sure if I should try to stick to one hydro store, so all the components fit their counterparts when building the tent.

OfflineTribalSeed
SoulJah

#736674 - 06/18/14 07:25 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Some parts are made for each other the way you are thinking. But mostly you can use any ducting with aany tent with any fan...etc. I don't know how many people recommend this, but personally I would try to stick with the same ballast/light. Just feels safer to me, but really even that doesn't matter a whole hell of a lot.

Just make sure if you have a 6 inch fan that you get 6inch ducting and a 6 inch carbon filter. The ducting sucks no matter what, but its universal as long as it is the same size.

I cant give you any advice on LEDs. They are just to expensive for my taste. I have seen good results out of them and some guys really know how to use them things to get the best bud, but I don't want to give you blind advice.

For your info man, the more head room the better. Go for the 5 foot, if you can get a 6 footer. Leaves you plenty of room for the light, filter and fan . The bigger the better, within reason. I grow for personal mostly and I could always use more room. That three footer seems like it would be more ideal for clones and maybe mothers. Spring for bigger if you can dude. You will be glad you did.

EDIT: When I read this it sounded like I meant the ballast and light matching up didn't matter. It does, you wanna get a 600watt ballast for a 600 watt light, etc....
I just meant the brands like a lumitek ballast with an Apollo light/hood. Make sense? Same wattage, different brands.lol. Don't want you to burn the house down.lol.

--------------------

Edited by TribalSeed (06/18/14 07:28 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies