Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTavarde
Stranger
A Cool Story & Me Seeking Tips On Improving My Grow Box
    #547223 - 04/16/11 04:07 PM (13 years, 5 days ago)

So a few years ago when I was in my 20s I asked my parents if I could start some plants up.  Being reasonable adults they agreed and I set about growing four plants to about two feet tall.  However upon beginning the day/night cycle (and coming up with 2 males and 2 females) the odor became overwhelming and I was forced to destroy the plants because I was no longer allowed to keep them in the house.  Ever since I have really wanted to try growing again but some things in life prevented me from doing so for a few years. 

However about a month ago a friend of mine who had started up four of his own plants came to me and said that three of them had been growing steadily and had outgrown the fourth to the point that only three would fit inside his grow box.  The last one was tiny, sickly and hadn't grown even a bit but nonetheless I offered to take it off his hands.  Here is a picture of what it looked like right after re-planting it in my own grow box.

Take note that the thing holding the plant up is the butt end of a Thursday Plantation Chewing Stick.  Fast forward a month and you've got...THIS!

It's now a foot tall and about two weeks into the flowering cycle and I can conclusively say this one is a female.  The reason I began the flowering cycle so soon is that I have been in the process of securing a move to a new apartment the last few weeks and was hoping to get the plant flowered and harvested before I moved.  Unfortunately that is not the case and I am once again faced with a dilemma.  I can easily just give the plant back to my friend who has since culled his males and his grow box has room again but I would like to find a way to keep it and see it through.  The problem is that in my new apartment I don't know if the landlord would suspect anything.  Naturally I don't want him to find out and even though it is just one plant I don't know his feelings on this sort of thing.  Plus it's getting quite stinky and thus hard to hide. 

Okay anyway, back to the reason I came to this forum.  The following pictures are of my grow box and related ideas to improving it but I would mainly like suggestions on what I can do about certain things if you good folks can find the time.

Above is the actual grow box.  It is nothing more than a television cabinet with two doors on the front. 

These are the lights I got for the plant.  Four simple fluorescent light fixtures, two of which are using the bulbs they came with and two others using bulbs designed for stimulating plant growth.  Between these two pictures I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how I could insulate the edges of this cabinet so as to minimize the amount of odor coming out of it. 

This is a picture of two fans I scavenged from old PCs.  The idea I had was to mount them in the rear of the cabinet, one facing in and the other facing out and blowing the air through an as yet undetermined filtration device.  The problem I am faced with this is that I cannot surmise a way as to convert the fans' tiny plugs into something that could plug into a wall outlet.  Any ideas there?

Anyway that's all I got.  Thank you to all who read through this and a hopeful thanks to anyone who replies with ideas.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinekln
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: A Cool Story & Me Seeking Tips On Improving My Grow Box [Re: Tavarde]
    #547234 - 04/16/11 04:28 PM (13 years, 5 days ago)

the odor can't be inside your box, even if you insulate your cab, you got to treat it, with some carbon filter, but you need a better exhaust if you want to treat odor, make sure to place the exhaust on top just between the lights and the top of the plant, and the intake in the bottom

If you live in america you've got to use some adapter to convert those fans

But Honestly, i never knew no one that uses carbon filter for 1 or 2 plants, just be sure to use some freshener's, incense or whatever you prefer when you got visits and you'll be cool.

OfflineColleron420
New Grower
Male

Re: A Cool Story & Me Seeking Tips On Improving My Grow Box [Re: kln]
    #547259 - 04/16/11 05:19 PM (13 years, 5 days ago)

Dude When you Took that Plant Off my Hands i had No Dout you Would Bring it Back to Life!!

--------------------

OfflineTavarde
Stranger
Re: A Cool Story & Me Seeking Tips On Improving My Grow Box [Re: Colleron420]
    #547274 - 04/16/11 05:46 PM (13 years, 5 days ago)

Please forgive me, Kln, if there are some things I do not understand.  What do you mean by "treat" the odor?  Is it something that would be damaging to the plant if I were to insulate the cabinet and relegated air flow to a series of fans?

As far as your suggestion of masking the odor that's precisely what I am going to do.  I'll just get hold of some scented candles and make sure to burn them often until I finally harvest.

OfflineHempMaster
Space Trucker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #547380 - 04/16/11 10:03 PM (13 years, 5 days ago)

Just buy a few ONA blocks and put them in areas you have odor, there only about 11 bucks each and will last up to 2 months depending on how u use them. I found the best way was to put them into the exaust ducting to eliminate any excess smell during flowering...though i do use a carbon filter aswell.

--------------------
My Tombstone will read: IwasburiedfacedownsoucanallkissmyA$$
my current grow

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: A Cool Story & Me Seeking Tips On Improving My Grow Box [Re: HempMaster]
    #547472 - 04/17/11 09:39 AM (13 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

What do you mean by "treat" the odor?

He means you want to scrub the odor coming from the plants in your cabinet by using a carbon filter within your fan setup.  In the photo above the fan draws air through the filter, pushes it over the light, and then out the cabinet.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineMrsGreenThumb
Stranger
 User Gallery

#547683 - 04/18/11 12:29 AM (13 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

HempMaster said:
Just buy a few ONA blocks and put them in areas you have odor, there only about 11 bucks each and will last up to 2 months depending on how u use them. I found the best way was to put them into the exhaust ducting to eliminate any excess smell during flowering...though i do use a carbon filter aswell.

Normally I would recommend a carbon filter but as kln mentioned a carbon filter for one plant would be overkill and overspend. For this small of a grow a couple of ONA's supplies would cover. You can usually find it at your local hydroponic store.

Offlinekln
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: A Cool Story & Me Seeking Tips On Improving My Grow Box [Re: MrsGreenThumb]
    #547820 - 04/18/11 12:43 PM (13 years, 4 days ago)

sorry dude,i didn't check'd earlier but you have all your answers right there!
those ONA blocks would be the best for you.

OfflineTavarde
Stranger
Re: A Cool Story & Me Seeking Tips On Improving My Grow Box [Re: kln]
    #547941 - 04/18/11 07:29 PM (13 years, 3 days ago)

I do appreciate the replies, thank you all.  If I may impose with one more question, what sort of store could I find an ONA block?  Walmart?  Home Depot?  Something specific that I can't think of?

OfflineMrsGreenThumb
Stranger
 User Gallery

#547955 - 04/18/11 08:13 PM (13 years, 3 days ago)

Quote:

You can usually find it at your local hydroponic store.

OfflineTavarde
Stranger
    #547966 - 04/18/11 08:39 PM (13 years, 3 days ago)

Yes, I did see that, thank you.  Unfortunately I have no idea where there is a hydroponics store near me.  Guess it's off to google, then.

Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

Loc: Don' worry bout it
    #548049 - 04/19/11 02:59 AM (13 years, 3 days ago)

Read too quick and didn't see you already had Comp fans for airflow, listen to the above posts about ONA blocks for odor control and youre set. Good job on getting that plant healthy again too!

Edited by jkell (04/19/11 03:01 AM)

OfflineHempMaster
Space Trucker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: A Cool Story & Me Seeking Tips On Improving My Grow Box [Re: Tavarde] * 1
    #548142 - 04/19/11 12:21 PM (13 years, 3 days ago)

Quote:

Tavarde said:
Yes, I did see that, thank you.  Unfortunately I have no idea where there is a hydroponics store near me.  Guess it's off to google, then.

You can buy them at home depot, or Rona(in canada)...they  might not be the "ONA" brand but they will have industrial strength odor eliminator gels or blocks. Just make sure you like the scent b4 u buy, as the commercial ones don't tend to smell as nice as the ONA brand...

--------------------
My Tombstone will read: IwasburiedfacedownsoucanallkissmyA$$
my current grow

Offlinechowdan
Stranger
 User Gallery

#548484 - 04/20/11 12:24 AM (13 years, 2 days ago)

I've always wondered about ONA blocks and gels. I've heard many good things about them.

As for the grow box IMO(never made grow boxes for weed but have for other plants and such) i'd probably put both fans on the top of the cab both sucking air out and on the bottom i'd cut a few lines with a skill saw to allow up through the bottom. But thats just me.

As for computer fans they all run on DC power which means you can't plug it straight into a wall outlet. The normal power that ocmes through the wall is AC and is 120-130Vs(here in the usa). The fans run i think on 5vDC. which means you can take these fans and connect them to a small 9v battery or even an few AA batteries. BUT it wont last long so youll have to find a converter. If you google "Pyramid PS9KX" youll see what im talking about. So pretty much chop the little connector off and solder or even just twist some extra length wire and then connect the ends to the thumb screws. The one that has three wires test two random wires to find which two make it work, the one wire that doesnt make it work chop it short so you know which one it is all the time(this wire is used for controlling the fan speed from the motherboard of a computer, has nothing to do with how it powers the fan). one more thing if you want to solder a adjustable fan speed nob you could with that third wire. But honestly more airflow the better

If you plan on going the carbon airfilter route go to wall mart to pick up your charcoal in the pet fish section. You can get a shit ton of it for dirt cheap(compairing with petco and petsmart)- I'd suggest using a sock to store it while sticking it over the fans

Hope that helped

--------------------
I am a legal patient in Washington. Everything i do and say on here is for personal gain.

- We live in a free country as long as you can follow the governments laws...-

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom