Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

main fan leaf question
    #734256 - 06/02/14 11:31 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Do fan leaves ONLY grow on the initial main stem of cannabis? Can lateral branches ever grow fan leaves that have the same function as the initial main fan leaves? Like if for whatever reason you removed all the fan leaves then topped the plant, will no more fan leaves grow?

I was going to train a plant young, but it occurred to me that if I do I might be limited to only 6 fan leaves or less if some fall off. Any help would be appreciated.

Also I've seen opinions saying both pruning and not pruning is better. Some people say that it's like removing solar panels, but also I've read that the fan leaves compete with buds for energy so you want to get rid of some...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

Re: main fan leaf question [Re: Midgetpawn] * 1
    #734286 - 06/02/14 02:36 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

If they're not producing energy they're storing it to be consumed first, instead of the buds, when nutrient deficiency occurs, or so that's how I understand it.  If the plant really needs the energy the first place it'll grab from is the fan leaves, from what I've seen.  That's a factor in why they yellow in late flowering.

I don't have a ton of experience but I'm fairly certain the only time you need to cut off fan leaves is if:
A. the root system can't support them all, as with a new clone.
B. In such a situation where one fan leaf was blocking a large cluster of others, and where the plant would get more light if it were removed.  Usually the plant takes care of this itself though...

Regarding the first part, I have no idea, I haven't ever had fan leaves grow back or grow from places other than where they originally came from.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: main fan leaf question [Re: Inocuole] * 1
    #734326 - 06/02/14 07:02 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

First off Inocuole you have to stop with the "I don't have a ton of experience" stuff cause your answer was pretty much on the money. :thumbup:

Once a leaf is removed it's gone none will regrow in the same place.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: main fan leaf question [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #734332 - 06/02/14 07:28 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Fan leaves show up at every growth node. The new growth produces new fan leaves, if you chop your leaves off, they do not regrow, but you can get new one's from new growth. Never in the same spot, only on new growth. Look at your nodes and see how the fan leaf connects to the base every time.

There is an art to trimming plants, If I take off a lower branch I will almost always take the fan leaf off since they are far enough down they will just wilt away anyway. I leave as many on as possible, since they collect more light than the leaf of the buds.

Feeding a plant that gets trimmed up a lot can lead to overfeeding, make sure to cut the fertilizer if your chopping a lot of growth off (like half the plant)

One thing you don't want to do is top your plants right before going into flower. They need to have some vigorous growth going into flower or your plants won't do so well. Once in flower the plant stop growing fan leaves and focuses on buds.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

Re: main fan leaf question [Re: phychotron]
    #734336 - 06/02/14 07:37 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Now that I re-read the initial question, the fan leaves on branches DO have the same effect as the ones on the stem, in case that wasn't addressed specifically.  Each branch of the plant acts just like the main stem, hence clones and such.

edit/reply:
Quote:

Magash said:
First off Inocuole you have to stop with the "I don't have a ton of experience" stuff cause your answer was pretty much on the money. :thumbup:

Once a leaf is removed it's gone none will regrow in the same place.

It's a legitimate disclaimer, because I do not, in fact, have much experience.  I'm still on my first grow and it feels like 75% failure to me.  I appreciate your confidence in me though.
:vaped:

Edited by Inocuole (06/02/14 08:13 PM)

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: main fan leaf question [Re: Inocuole]
    #734348 - 06/02/14 09:52 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Hang on... I'm still confused. So the largest fan leaves that turn yellow during flowering are or aren't the same as the leaves on the rest of the plant?

I was under the impression that those largest leaves that turn yellow have a different function from any other leaf.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: main fan leaf question [Re: Midgetpawn] * 2
    #734354 - 06/03/14 12:11 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Every leaf on the plant has the same function no matter what part of the plant they are on. The leaves that aren't coming out of the buds are fan leaves. Any leaf that isn't growing out of a bud has the possibility to turn yellow during budding and sometimes even the ones growing out of the buds which can be a disaster. When leaves turn  yellow and die off and are in the buds it's easy for rot to start in those spots.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: main fan leaf question [Re: Midgetpawn] * 2
    #734358 - 06/03/14 02:14 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

The fan leaves are at every node, coming out of the buds as they swell. Granted they get smaller all the way to the top and the connecting stem gets shorter, but structurally they are there. I guess technically they're not fan leaves when they get that short of a stem and tucked into the bud, but structurally they would turn into fan leaves if you kept it in veg.

Shade leaves yellow as the weeks pass, its one of the reason its hard to keep plants going for 12+ weeks. Eventually the whole plant turns yellow and the leaf coming out of the bud starts to yellow at the ends down toward the bud. I've let plants yellow at the end of a flush but never let the yellow get into the buds.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: main fan leaf question [Re: phychotron]
    #734360 - 06/03/14 02:30 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Oh ok thanks. I really thought the largest fan leaves served an independent function and were very limited.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies