Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMycophile
 User Gallery

Chances of containing spider mites...
    #733167 - 05/27/14 02:05 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

So my buddy recently gave me a tray of cuttings and I've spent the last couple days trying to harden them off for the hardcore summers we have. Anyway, today I noticed they have fucking spider mites. I immediately brought them inside(away from my other plants that I already had) and changed my clothes and washed my hands. I want to toss em but my buddy said he'll take them back and I'm giving him until tonight.

What do you guys think my odds are of NOT getting the rest of my plants contaminated? They were only here for a couple days and out of that time they only spent a couple hours a day outside next to my other plants. Am I already fucked? Should I take the initiative and treat them like they already are contaminated?

Edited by Mycophile (05/27/14 02:05 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMycophile
 User Gallery

Re: Chances of containing spider mites... [Re: Mycophile]
    #733190 - 05/27/14 06:32 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

So this is making me crazier and crazier... I have no idea how I will begin to sterilize that spare room. It's full of stuff and there's simply no way to spray it all with bleach.

I'm scurrrred man, I just know they're gonna get to my other plants. :tinfoil:

Offlinewebster10

#733191 - 05/27/14 06:46 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

You could try raising humidity levels a bit and increase ventilation, apparently spider mites don't like this.
Also, be wary of raising your humidity because it could cause other, more seriouse problems with your plants.
I think I may have a spider mite problem as well. I have started spraying my plants with a neem oil+water+dawn dish soap solution at night and misting with a water+soap solution in the morning. I hope all goes well.

InvisibleMycophile
 User Gallery

Re: Chances of containing spider mites... [Re: webster10]
    #733192 - 05/27/14 06:49 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I grow outdoor.

So I just went and checked my plants over and found that they have in fact reached them already :suicide:

Now my main problem is what to treat outdoor plants with. It can't leave any type of film on the leaves because the sun here is so intense it will fry the plant instantly, so that basically leaves me no options.

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Trusted Cultivator
    #733193 - 05/27/14 06:54 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Avid is the best stuff I hear.

InvisibleMycophile
 User Gallery

Re: Chances of containing spider mites... [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #733194 - 05/27/14 07:02 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I know products that work but what can I spray that won't leave a film?

I guess my only option is to spray at night and rinse in the morning before the sun hits em.

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Trusted Cultivator
    #733195 - 05/27/14 07:09 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Avid contains abamectin, a naturally derived compound that penetrates leaf tissue to form a reservoir of active ingredient.

Sounds like it affects the plant on a cellular level
:shrug:

PM magash as he uses this stuff.

InvisibleMycophile
 User Gallery

Re: Chances of containing spider mites... [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #733196 - 05/27/14 07:15 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I don't understand what you're getting at, I know what avid is. I'm saying that spraying ANYTHING on the leaves will cause them to burn when the light hits, including avid. But I was so stressed I forgot the simple solution of spraying when it's dark like everyone else does :facepalm:

And I know you guys will call me a paranoid hippie but I don't want to use avid on my plants, that stuff is bad for ya.

Edited by Mycophile (05/27/14 07:15 PM)

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #733198 - 05/27/14 07:51 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

it only stays in the plants for 30 days or so.  Then it's gone dude.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisibleMycophile
 User Gallery

Re: Chances of containing spider mites... [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #733199 - 05/27/14 08:18 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I know, not gonna try to convince anyone of anything I just prefer not using stuff like that.

Ever heard of this Mighty Wash stuff? It's got great reviews but apparently nobody knows what's in it. Supposedly it's just water that's been electrocuted or some shit to have some kind of weird frequency? Others claim it's probably just pyrethrums and they're lying about it on the label so :shrug:

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #733208 - 05/27/14 09:16 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Well they would have to label that for sale in the US.  So they would need to be labeled with it, if they had it in it.  Get in big trouble if you don't.

Get some predator mites.  Or you can try the ol neem, but it only knocks em back a bit.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisibleMycophile
 User Gallery

Re: Chances of containing spider mites... [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #733211 - 05/27/14 09:28 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Hawksresurrection said:
Well they would have to label that for sale in the US.  So they would need to be labeled with it, if they had it in it.  Get in big trouble if you don't.

Get some predator mites.  Or you can try the ol neem, but it only knocks em back a bit.

Yea, one dude was pretty irate saying he was going to report them about it. But I doubt they'd be dumb enough to do that.

I think I looked into predator mites a couple years ago and couldn't really find any that could handle this environment (I could be wrong, I'll look again).

I'll see what the local shops have to offer tomorrow, maybe look into that mighty wash. Everyone who used that stuff said it works great, they just worry they don't know what's in it.

Edited by Mycophile (05/27/14 09:29 PM)

Offlinetrippinballs420
Tits Mcgee
Male

Loc: Colorado Flag
    #734063 - 05/31/14 11:41 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

i thought mighty wash sucked....i had 6 plants get a decent case of them, and they kept coming back after using mighty wash, but it was my first grow and its entirely possible i was using it wrong or something :lol:

i got some stuff called pure kapow, its made from lemon grass oil or lemon seed oil i dont remember which, but it worked really great. also i had some mites at the beginning of my current grow and one treatment has kept them away for 3 weeks now and counting

InvisibleMycophile
 User Gallery

Re: Chances of containing spider mites... [Re: trippinballs420]
    #734084 - 06/01/14 08:08 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Well the mighty wash doesn't need diluted or anything so I can't imagine how you would use it wrong. It's probably best I hit 'em with a combo of something anyway, I'll look into that stuff.

OfflineGanjaganj
Stranger
    #734203 - 06/02/14 02:55 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

If spraying is not an option or you are trying to avoid doing so, next best realistically is to just get to work on bringing their numbers down (Absolutely most important step when first spotting them)

Removing the leaves that have clearly been munched on and egged by the mites will drop their numbers and overall reduce how quickly they spread.

There are also certain plants that mites prefer over marijuana and can be used as a deterrent. Mainly lemon/lime scented plants. High pinene and limonene strains are particularly appealing to the mites.

Good luck!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies