Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Do not foliar feed in direct light?
    #731828 - 05/16/14 07:17 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I just read that the reason you shouldn't foliar feed in direct light is because the water can magnify the light like when you use  magnifying glass to burn an ant in sun... Is that the only reason nutrient bottles say to not foliar feed while in direct light? magnification?

I assumed it would somehow cook the nutrients on the leaves or something involving the nutrients and not just the magnification of the liquid. and If it's just magnification that's the issue, then how much light is dangerous?

Edit: heres what I read. "Foliar Feeding with the lights on is like burning ants under a magnifying glass. When the light hits the water, it is like going through a magnifying glass burning your plants; making you think that the plants are sick or diseased. In some cases with good wetting agents you can completely burn your plants to a crisp. Your plants must be dry when the light comes on or you WILL burn them. Burning the plants while foliar feeding will make the plants more likely to get sick. "

Edited by Midgetpawn (05/16/14 07:20 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Do not foliar feed in direct light? [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #731831 - 05/16/14 07:47 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I've heard this for years but have yet to see it happen even in direct sun. I've sprayed the plants in the light so many times I can't even begin to count. Not saying it's not true but I've yet to see it.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Do not foliar feed in direct light? [Re: Magash]
    #731842 - 05/16/14 09:27 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I've only used T5/LED but no issues so far. I don't spray often but don't mind what time of day it is.  I dunno but I've been told that your not suppose to water the lawn in the day time, either morning or evening when the sun is not so intense.  Its been said so many times its a good general rule to follow. The more you do it the more likely you'll discover the problems that arise from it.

Watch spraying around hot bulbs, I've heard thats not too fun. With LED's you don't have to worry so much.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisiblebEelzeBosS
Are my eyes red?

Re: Do not foliar feed in direct light? [Re: phychotron]
    #731844 - 05/16/14 09:50 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I mist my plants in veg with RO h2o a couple times a day, read somewhere it was good for them. Should I stop?

--------------------
:firecum:

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #731852 - 05/16/14 10:22 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

dunno, you just read its bad, decisions decisions.... I go by how the plant looks, its a personal call.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #731853 - 05/16/14 10:24 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

phychotron said:
I've only used T5/LED but no issues so far. I don't spray often but don't mind what time of day it is.  I dunno but I've been told that your not suppose to water the lawn in the day time, either morning or evening when the sun is not so intense.  Its been said so many times its a good general rule to follow. The more you do it the more likely you'll discover the problems that arise from it.

Watch spraying around hot bulbs, I've heard thats not too fun. With LED's you don't have to worry so much.

My understanding of why they say to water your lawn in the morning or evening to conserve on water. Less evaporation, more absorption into the ground.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Do not foliar feed in direct light? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #731855 - 05/16/14 10:28 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Well I did hear that when I was about eight, but I'm pretty sure it was to not cook the plants. I'm sure water conservation plays a part too.

--------------------

InvisiblebEelzeBosS
Are my eyes red?

#731857 - 05/16/14 10:32 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

phychotron said:
dunno, you just read its bad, decisions decisions.... I go by how the plant looks, its a personal call.

I dont notice anything different at all when I mist or when I dont mist. I was just asking you because you seem to know your shit...I dont recall where I read to mist plants during veg. Ive read so much info the last 6 months I cant even remember where it all came from, and I'm sure a good chunk of it was outdated or just wrong.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Do not foliar feed in direct light? [Re: bEelzeBosS]
    #731859 - 05/16/14 11:26 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Ya that tends to happens all the time. You read stuff that is suppose to make a difference or be beneficial in some way but when it comes down to the actual plant you end up scratching your head wondering what they're talking about. My only guess is that people are generalizing too much about less common problems in the more sensitive strains or include different plant specific info to all plants. Gardening is a broad subject with many many different plant types and characteristics.

I recommend to most people they start out with the basics and see how the plant responds. Learn the plant and what it needs then start adding things as needed. Change one variable at a time so you can see how the plant responds to the new treatment. Most of the time your wasting your time trying to solve a problem you never had to begin with.  Like preventative bug spray because your still paranoid from that chapter about spider mites.

Some people will tell you something is good merely because they do it. Like you said, can't tell a difference, so are you wasting your time or not?  I've heard that misting leads to nutrients to be leached out of the leaf, specifically nitrogen and maybe others. If your having a hard time clones to root *they say* misting a week before will help leech some of the nitrogen out and help some of the harder strains to root. I don't know if any of that is actually true, but there may be some actual underlying science going on with misting. There might be something going on that you don't understand or won't ever personally notice a difference with but the plant might be lacking in some way. The real question is to not ask what to do but why to do it.

"because it's good" is not a good enough reason to start doing something. You should understand why your doing what your doing before you do it. They say the best way harvest your bud is under a full moon (with a blue moon or eclipse adding 1-2% thc respectively) while sipping certified organic red wine chilled to exactly 42 degrees from a glass shaped like a cactus. Why that is I don't know, but its true. And if anyone wants to dispute it please don't knock it until you try it.

--------------------

InvisiblebEelzeBosS
Are my eyes red?

#731875 - 05/17/14 06:27 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Just picked up a cactus glass from Amazon, thanks!

:highfive:

--------------------

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: Do not foliar feed in direct light? [Re: bEelzeBosS]
    #731978 - 05/18/14 05:57 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Does it matter which red wine it is that you sip? oh btw I've heard that some longer flowering strains benefit from spraying them tward the end of flowering because it simulates autumn rains...

Hm interesting I never heard that nutrients can leak out via misting. All I know is my normal house plants seem much happier when I spray them with water multiple times a week. though I barely feed them ever. I have been misting based on this, but I can't say for sure that cannabis has the same benefit that my house plants do. I'm sure it doesn't hurt too much unless you mist too often or have lights close(apparently).

btw I water outside plants all the time during the day and have never seen anything but positive results. Although I only have outdoor stuff that likes being watered and nothing that over watering can easily kill. Cannabis might prefer it a little dryer.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules