Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinerichismalls
Stranger

smell question
    #719433 - 03/05/14 09:20 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

So ive been gathering the components for my grow setup and to help mask the smell i am going to use a carbon filter and maybe some kind of air freshener. my roomate is ok with all of this and doesnt mind the smell at all,our place always smells like bud anyways since were always smokin, but if people come and visit i dont want my place smelling like buds since my family is very conservative. i have a 4x4 grow tent that we are keeping in a room that nobody will be allowed in and i dont live in an apartment. just how bad is it? is it easily controllable? i read that some strains smell more than others. sorry i know it sounds noobish but i have to ask. either way im going through with it, im just trying to figure out what to prepare for. thank everyone

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Trusted Cultivator
Re: smell question [Re: richismalls] * 1
    #719473 - 03/06/14 06:48 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

richismalls said:
i read that some strains smell more than others.

This is true.

InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: smell question [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #719477 - 03/06/14 07:03 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

youll be fine if you have a good carbon filter and way to exhaust that air.

OfflineThriceKing
Seasoned Green Thumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: smell question [Re: CrushNazT] * 2
    #722087 - 03/19/14 11:03 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

A good carbon scrubber, installed correctly, is a miracle of engineering. In fact, if you guys smoke in the grow room, it will scrub that too. Don't skimp on $, and remember to *pull the air through* NOT push the air out. Seems like you're hurting your fan, but a centrifugal blower is meant to take the load (just like your mom).

--------------------
All submissions are for informational purposes and entertainment only.

Offlinerichismalls
Stranger

Re: smell question [Re: ThriceKing] * 1
    #722206 - 03/19/14 08:54 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

yeah I bought a legit filter. supposed to last a year. well I mean  her son so I guess she took something.

Offlineplump
Clouseau is on the case

Re: smell question [Re: richismalls]
    #727903 - 04/27/14 12:32 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

I just put my first grow under my belt and I really freaked out how much four plants stunk up my little veg room.  My whole house started to smell like that sweet sweet cheeba.  I installed my huge carbon filter in my grow box 3'x3'x3'( the filter I bought probably is way to big but I didn't want to take any chances).  I bought a fan a filter combo for about 130.00 bucks.  I also bought a auto transformer for 50ish dollars (well worth the dough). With that speed controller you can keep the noise down coming off the fan.  My fan is around 600 cfm. Remember 1st filter inside of the SEALED grow area a negative pressure inside your grow area is your best freind, 2nd pipe the duct work to your fan and from there you can cool your light hood down or exhaust it.  My first grow started to slightly stink up the basement in the last week of flowering, so is just put one of those dissoluble air fresheners right in front of the fan out let and boom no more noticeable aroma hopes this takes some of the worry away.  Long and short of it in my opinion over buy on you fan and filter and you will be glad that you did.

Offlinerichismalls
Stranger

Re: smell question [Re: plump]
    #727935 - 04/27/14 09:21 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

thank you i appreciate the input! i have a 18 inch carbon filter hooked up to my 4 inch centrifugal fan. from there it is duct up 3 feet to my attic(i lucked out with my location). i have a speedster fan control, but to be honest, for my fan it makes a loud electrical sound from the power dampening,almost louder than the fan itself. and the fan doesnt go nearly as fast.my fan is too small for the speedster i believe. im just going to return my speed controller. my tent is a 3x3 btw. hopefully this will be enough. my place always smells like bud since im always smokin anyways, but i am trying to control the grow smell.

Offlineplump
Clouseau is on the case

Re: smell question [Re: richismalls]
    #728063 - 04/27/14 10:42 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

I have had my auto transformer running non stop for about 7months that little bastard kicks ass for what I paid for it on amazon.  I can run my 6in fan from a whisper to a tornado with the turn of a button.  The one I bought from amazon of course came from china but so far the thing is kicking ass.  After our last post I came up with a cool idea.  I don't know where in the world you live, but where I am it is not uncommon to see a radon pump system installed on the outside of a residence.  If you live in a house look into a RADON filtration system.  I am going to install my own radon filtration system a just put a wye in the flue and pump unwanted odor up and out.  But to tell you the truth I was quite concerned about odor but with the set up I'm running there was no odor until the week before harvest.  If you are really concerned about the odor I have thought about running two fans off of the auto transformer pumping through the filter in the grow area, then dumping that scrubbed air into a box that held the second carbon filter then pulling that air with the second fan.  I think that after two scrubbings there would be no odor what so ever as long as the RH was low enough.  sorry for the long winded post I am starting to trip out on the shrooms I ate.  Good luk happing cultivating.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: smell question [Re: ThriceKing]
    #728067 - 04/27/14 11:35 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

ThriceKing said:
A good carbon scrubber, installed correctly, is a miracle of engineering. In fact, if you guys smoke in the grow room, it will scrub that too. Don't skimp on $, and remember to *pull the air through* NOT push the air out. Seems like you're hurting your fan, but a centrifugal blower is meant to take the load (just like your mom).

You can push if the carbon filter is directly attached to the inlet of the fan, then all air is pushed out from there. Any leaks will simply be leaking already filtered air back into the grow room. Similarly, if you're pulling, the filter must be on the outlet of the fan as the absolute last thing on the chain of airflow.

--------------------

InvisiblebrainsOplenty
ganja farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: zion
Re: smell question [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #729977 - 05/06/14 09:38 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Best filter for the $ that I have found is the grow bright. Got a 6 inch filter delivered for 65$

--------------------
it's written right here.
it's absolutely clear.
the ganja herb is the healing of the nation.

InvisiblebrainsOplenty
ganja farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: zion
Re: smell question [Re: brainsOplenty]
    #729978 - 05/06/14 09:39 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Smell factor is 0...

--------------------
it's written right here.
it's absolutely clear.
the ganja herb is the healing of the nation.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags