Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJeffSpicoli
PORKCHOP
Male User Gallery
Loc: COLORADO,USA Flag
MIS-INFORMATION!
    #712341 - 02/06/14 09:20 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I just want to say there is a ton of mis information going on here.
The number 1 thing I want to point out is changing your nutrient solution in your hydro setup. No matter what kind of setup you use except aquaponics with fish, you need to change your water and nutrients and flush you system AT LEAST once a week. DO NOT JUST TOP OFF YOU RES WITH THE STATED PPM. YOUR PLANTS DO NOT TAKE UP THE SAME AMOUNTS OF EACH NUTRIENT AT THE SAME RATE! Unless you are able to have the solution analyzed at a lab you are just guessing at which nutrients they need at any given stage of growth. If you stick to a regular schedule as recommended by the nutrient manufacturer, you WILL have a much better product than if you try to save money by only changing out every 2-3 weeks. Your plants need the recommended amounts of nutrients at each phase of growth. These nutrient companies spend a ton of money to figure out the best ratios and times for changing your nutrients. If you skip a week and only top of your water or top off with extra nutrients you are screwing up the proper ratios. ph is also a contributing factor in nutrient uptake. If you have your strains perfect ph the plants will take in more nutrient than if the ph is off, up or down, by a few tenths. Say strain X takes up maximum nutrients at 5.8 and you run it at 5.6 that plant will not take up as much nutrients as it will at 5.8.  To figure out what the proper ph is you play with it each change you do and watch the amount of nutrients used. the more they use the closer you are to the proper ph. The bottom line is follow the manufacturers feeding schedule and recommendations for changing the nutrients and flush the salts at least every nutrient change. I do a nutrient change every week with a chemical flush for 2 hours in the middle of each week. You only have to use enough water to rinse the roots. If you are using a 50 gallon res yo don't need to use 50 gallons of clear water and the amount of chemical flush for it. All you need is enough to cover the pump. This flushes any excess salt from the roots and your system. The only thing you are doing by saving money is reducing the quality and quantity of your yield. If you are a provider of medical cannabis and you are not changing your nutrients weekly you are cheating your patients and if you are growing for yourself you are cheating yourself out of the best medicine you can have. There is no science in skimping on nutrients and water. You don't need to spend money on bio-filters and enzymes and all that stuff. Keep you nutrients changed and you don't need all of those things that cost more than the extra nutrients you would use if you change weekly. If you are growing hydro DO NOT USE ORGANIC NUTRIENTS! They will clog your system. If you want to grow organically, grow in a soil-less mix. It will save you a lot of needless work.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepitviper
snake on the grass
Male

Re: MIS-INFORMATION! [Re: JeffSpicoli]
    #725047 - 04/07/14 10:38 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

well,in my experience i no longer do any reservoir changes,haven't for many years.my standard ppm are 1000 during growth and when buds appear i gradually raise to 1200 ppm's regardless of the strain.I begin to add back gradually and top off when either go below 100-200 from target range,but try to maintain a steady ph of 5.5-5.7 in an E/F system.salt build-up is not an issue if the plants are consuming most of the nutrient at the proper ph which is most important along with keeping the solution temp at around 68-70fh*
this is my last grow in a 3x3 flood table under 430wt's hps.
net yield slightly over 20oz's

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: MIS-INFORMATION! [Re: JeffSpicoli]
    #725071 - 04/08/14 10:15 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

JeffSpicoli said:
I just want to say there is a ton of mis information going on here.
The number 1 thing I want to point out is changing your nutrient solution in your hydro setup. No matter what kind of setup you use except aquaponics with fish, you need to change your water and nutrients and flush you system AT LEAST once a week. DO NOT JUST TOP OFF YOU RES WITH THE STATED PPM. YOUR PLANTS DO NOT TAKE UP THE SAME AMOUNTS OF EACH NUTRIENT AT THE SAME RATE! Unless you are able to have the solution analyzed at a lab you are just guessing at which nutrients they need at any given stage of growth. If you stick to a regular schedule as recommended by the nutrient manufacturer, you WILL have a much better product than if you try to save money by only changing out every 2-3 weeks. Your plants need the recommended amounts of nutrients at each phase of growth. These nutrient companies spend a ton of money to figure out the best ratios and times for changing your nutrients. If you skip a week and only top of your water or top off with extra nutrients you are screwing up the proper ratios. ph is also a contributing factor in nutrient uptake. If you have your strains perfect ph the plants will take in more nutrient than if the ph is off, up or down, by a few tenths. Say strain X takes up maximum nutrients at 5.8 and you run it at 5.6 that plant will not take up as much nutrients as it will at 5.8.  To figure out what the proper ph is you play with it each change you do and watch the amount of nutrients used. the more they use the closer you are to the proper ph. The bottom line is follow the manufacturers feeding schedule and recommendations for changing the nutrients and flush the salts at least every nutrient change. I do a nutrient change every week with a chemical flush for 2 hours in the middle of each week. You only have to use enough water to rinse the roots. If you are using a 50 gallon res yo don't need to use 50 gallons of clear water and the amount of chemical flush for it. All you need is enough to cover the pump. This flushes any excess salt from the roots and your system. The only thing you are doing by saving money is reducing the quality and quantity of your yield. If you are a provider of medical cannabis and you are not changing your nutrients weekly you are cheating your patients and if you are growing for yourself you are cheating yourself out of the best medicine you can have. There is no science in skimping on nutrients and water. You don't need to spend money on bio-filters and enzymes and all that stuff. Keep you nutrients changed and you don't need all of those things that cost more than the extra nutrients you would use if you change weekly. If you are growing hydro DO NOT USE ORGANIC NUTRIENTS! They will clog your system. If you want to grow organically, grow in a soil-less mix. It will save you a lot of needless work.

Paragraph structure dude....paragraph structure.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineMushroomBandit
Stranger
Male

Re: MIS-INFORMATION! [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #725130 - 04/08/14 07:28 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Good point man. I changed my nutrients weekly for a while in a dwc setup, but after I got a ppm tester it seemed easier and cheaper to top off. Never had nutrient issues and couldn't tell any difference in weight or quality. Gh nutrients never gunked my system up but I can't say the same for ff.

Offlinepitviper
snake on the grass
Male

Re: MIS-INFORMATION! [Re: MushroomBandit]
    #725146 - 04/08/14 09:35 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

gen-hydro 3-pt flora series has been my exclusive nutrient since the late nineties
i also use silica,superthrive and sulphuric acid as the ph down with a rockwool block medium.
i've come to believe that the recommended weekly res changes are more of a marketing ploy.
i did slightly over use the micro on my last grow on account of the still healthfully green foliage towards the end of the flower cycle.
and i super crop also.
as long as the ph stays between the sweet spot of 5.5-5.7 or 5.8 and other variables like ambient temps,constant air movement,the plants should consume as much of the nutes and water.
the strain pictured is peaks northernskunk and skunkberry.
you only see two lines,i had to string a third as well if you seen the pic,there are still unharvested buds on the floor.

Edited by pitviper (04/08/14 09:43 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies