Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleP-O

Harper Launches A Witch Hunt On Medical Pot Users
    #721935 - 03/18/14 02:03 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Imagine the federal government decided one day that a doctor-prescribed medication you're using is now illegal.

Imagine the government then sent you a notice demanding that you write a letter to them, declaring you have destroyed all your illegal medication. And if you don't, the government says they will pass your confidential medical information -- and that of everyone else using this drug who doesn't write a letter -- to the police.

Improbable as it seems, this is exactly what's happening to more than 37,000 Canadians right now. And apparently the Harper government considers this acceptable, because the medication in question is marijuana.

Health Canada's overhauled medical marijuana program launches this spring. It's been fairly controversial given that it removes the ability of medical pot patients to grow their own, or to buy from a recognized small grower, and hands the entire medical pot industry over to a handful of licensed commercial manufacturers, of which there are so far only 10 for the entire country.

Many medical marijuana users have complained that this corporatization of weed will mean higher prices, potentially threatening their ability to use the drug as prescribed.

But in the most controversial move yet, last week Health Canada issued a notice ordering the 37,000 people with marijuana prescriptions to destroy the pot they grew or bought under the old program, and to send a letter to them declaring they have done so.

"If participants do not comply with the requirement to notify Health Canada, the Department will notify law enforcement," Health Canada stated in a tone nothing short of threatening.

That's right. They're threatening people with police investigation because of the prescription given by their doctor.

There are serious legal and ethical questions here. Is it appropriate for a government to hand over the private medical data of potentially thousands of Canadians to law enforcement, based on that person's medical prescription?

And would the police be justified in raiding the homes of people based solely on the fact they failed to send a letter to Health Canada? I asked the Mounties, and they're being a little vague on the issue.

"The RCMP respects individuals' privacy and will only pursue leads based on information received about potential criminal activity," a spokesperson said in an emailed statement.

But "any marijuana activities not explicitly regulated under the [new medical marijuana rules] as of April 1st, 2014 may be a contravention under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act," the statement added.

But what it looks like, based on this decree from Health Canada, is that the Harper government is trying to turn the medical marijuana program into a honey pot for law enforcement.

It's turning its list of licenced medical marijuana users, a list of patients in the health-care system, into a list of possible "criminal suspects" -- made criminal overnight by government decree. (Whether or not law enforcement wants this honey pot is another question).

Why am I reminded of the behaviour of totalitarian regimes, which demand public declarations of fealty at the point of a gun? Marijuana policy, meet North Korea.

Even Health Canada's statement is creepy and chilling in its tone. Witness the opening sentence:

Health Canada does not endorse the use of marijuana and is taking the necessary steps to protect public safety while providing reasonable access to marijuana for medical purposes, as ordered by the Courts.
Mentioning that Health Canada "does not endorse" the use of pot as the first sentence of a statement on medical marijuana policy is bizarre to say the least -- it's the bureaucratic equivalent of a temper tantrum.

And you can almost taste the contempt for "the Courts," those bastions of namby-pamby liberals who forced the government to provide marijuana to people legally.

Marijuana activists aren't taking Health Canada's move lying down. West coast pot legalization group Sensible BC is planning a day of action on April 1, the day the Harper government's new rules come into force, to protest all the new rules, including the demand for a letter.

Health Canada "shows why they cannot be trusted to act in the best interest of Canadians who need cannabis-based medicines," the group said in a blog post.

Nor can they be trusted to keep patients' records confidential, apparently; and nor can they be trusted not to be used as a blunt instrument in the Harper government's futile war on marijuana.

Edited by P-O (03/18/14 10:16 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Harper Launches A Witch Hunt On Medical Pot Users [Re: P-O] * 1
    #721944 - 03/18/14 07:22 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

wow what the FUCK?!

InvisibleP-O

Re: Harper Launches A Witch Hunt On Medical Pot Users [Re: CrushNazT]
    #721957 - 03/18/14 10:06 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

YA dude im friends with a few legal growers here in canada.

They must send a letter stating they dismantled their grow and killed all their plants (and destroyed any smoke they had on hand. ).  if health canada does not get the letter from the patients they will send feds to your house.  they only have weeks to send in this letter or the feds will be coming to visit. (All letters must be in by April 30th!)

This is the quality of weed medical users in canada will be buying.....

(This is actual legal medical marijuana, which the company owner says they must sell for $11 a gram to break even.)

there are only 10 approved health canada growers now ALL legal smoke can only come through them!  dispensaries, oils, edibles are all illegal under harpers new laws!!!
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/marihuana/info/list-eng.php ; These are the ONLY places u can order legal smoke.

What a fuckin joke!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by P-O (03/18/14 10:15 AM)

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
    #721966 - 03/18/14 11:23 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Shit looks bunk.

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Re: Harper Launches A Witch Hunt On Medical Pot Users [Re: Deadkndys420] * 1
    #721967 - 03/18/14 11:24 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Why do they sell it ground up?

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
    #721969 - 03/18/14 11:35 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

How did this get through? Was there no voting process? I thought Canada kinda had their shit together on the Marijuana thing.

--------------------

InvisibleP-O

Re: Harper Launches A Witch Hunt On Medical Pot Users [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #721971 - 03/18/14 11:44 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Its our evil prime minister HARPER.... 

first he opened the door to privatized prisons,  then he made all marijuana offences mandatory minimums (6months-2yrs).  now he pretty much ruined medical marijuana in canada

:mad2:

Edited by P-O (03/18/14 11:50 AM)

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Re: Harper Launches A Witch Hunt On Medical Pot Users [Re: P-O]
    #721980 - 03/18/14 01:02 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I just don't understand how he can do that. Doesn't Canada's political system have some sort of checks and balances to prevent a Prime Minister from turning into a dictator? At least in America, when something super fucked up happens (which is disappointingly frequent) it's not the President's fault, it's him and like 85 other people all working together.

--------------------

InvisibleP-O

#721988 - 03/18/14 01:45 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

agreed!  All of this is so fucked up..

These registered growers are bs.  prices are $10-15gm.  Edibles are 100% illegal for medical users now..... wtf

http://cannimed.ca/pages/our-products-new

Check out the cannimed website lol

They blast their buds with "gamma radiation" to sterilize them. I wonder if that's why it looks so brown and shitty (like the pic i posted above... the before picture on the site of the buds look decent, not sure why they need a radiation treatment)

Edited by P-O (03/18/14 01:51 PM)

Invisibledrawde
    #722022 - 03/18/14 07:17 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
I just don't understand how he can do that. Doesn't Canada's political system have some sort of checks and balances to prevent a Prime Minister from turning into a dictator? At least in America, when something super fucked up happens (which is disappointingly frequent) it's not the President's fault, it's him and like 85 other people all working together.

They have a majority in the house and can run through just about any bill they please. Plus the senate is garbage and never does anything worthwhile. Basically there just to sign off on bills.

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

InvisibleGBurger717
Let me be me! I luv me some me!
Male

Loc: USA, East of Mississippi Flag
Re: Harper Launches A Witch Hunt On Medical Pot Users [Re: drawde]
    #722201 - 03/19/14 08:17 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

That blows. I would NOT comply with the law. I am worried this shit will happen in the US when it comes to for legal mmj.

--------------------
"If only one party supports a bill, it's probably not a very good bill. If both parties support it, you can be sure that however good it seems on the surface, under the covers it's worse than you could possibly imagine" - Me myself and I 08-02-12

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty - Jefferson

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Jefferson

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures