Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Colorado's top DEA agent says medical-pot growers following the law aren't worth raiding
    #397504 - 04/07/10 08:07 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Colorado's top DEA agent says medical-pot growers following the law aren't worth raiding
April 6, 2010 - Denver Post

Jeffrey Sweetin, the Drug Enforcement Administration's top agent in Colorado, said Monday there must be "aggravating factors" before he would raid businesses involved in the state's medical-marijuana industry.

Sweetin said medical-marijuana growers and dispensaries operating within the limits of state law are not ordinarily worth his agents' time. Because of that, there have been instances when DEA agents have taken no action against marijuana-growing operations after an initial investigation, Sweetin said.

"There's no question that these guys who are growing weed are violating federal law," Sweetin said during a meeting with The Denver Post's editorial board. "The real question is what are we going to do about it?"

Sweetin said agents would only pursue cases against medical-marijuana distributors if those businesses had links to criminal organizations, were run by people with lengthy criminal backgrounds, were feeding the marijuana black market, were operating "far over the line" of state law or had some other combination of shady dealings.

Sweetin's comments come a little over a week before a hearing in which Chris Bartkowicz, a Highlands Ranch man charged in federal court with marijuana cultivation, is expected to plead guilty.

DEA agents seized plants and growing equipment from Bartkowicz's home earlier this year.

The bust — along with comments Sweetin made that medical-marijuana businesses are at risk of federal prosecution — spread fear through Colorado's medical-marijuana industry. Activists and politicians complained that Sweetin was in violation of a Department of Justice memo that advises federal prosecutors to back off patients and small-scale providers in medical-marijuana states.

Bartkowicz was targeted, Sweetin said, because he had more plants than specified in state law, because he had prior drug convictions and because he was growing near a school.

Sweetin said that while medical-marijuana activists think he went too far in busting Bartkowicz, he's also heard from residents and local law enforcement officials urging him to go further in targeting medical-marijuana operations. He said he would prefer the DEA focus on international criminal groups and said he doesn't want to become the state's pot cop.

"I can't send people out every time there's a marijuana case," he said.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Re: Colorado's top DEA agent says medical-pot growers following the law aren't worth raiding [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #397518 - 04/07/10 08:28 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I was SOOOOOO happy to read this article the other day. He made a statement basically to this effect like a week ago but it wasn't a full story, just a little quote in a bigger article about chris bartkowicz. The problem for chris is that he only had enough caregiver cards for 24 plants but he had over 200 :nonono:

Sounds like the DEA is finally coming to their senses

--------------------

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
Re: Colorado's top DEA agent says medical-pot growers following the law aren't worth raiding [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #397548 - 04/07/10 09:14 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
Sounds like the DEA is finally coming to their senses

:rofl:

We'll see about that. Truth be told most of these people don't care enough to get off their asses to do anything. Collecting a paycheck is a lot easier than doing any real work.

Invisiblejuke adro
I hate fat vaginas
 User Gallery

Loc: Québec
Re: Colorado's top DEA agent says medical-pot growers following the law aren't worth raiding [Re: DungenessDank]
    #397561 - 04/07/10 09:54 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I don't know much about what goes on there but if I was smart I'd say that too before some huge ass record breaking busts, then again thats just me.

--------------------

I eat animals and most things that live in the sea, I'm not green but I smoke it and I litter to keep cunts like you in a job so fuck off.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds