Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePoloDown
Stranger Danger

Interesting article about CFL's
    #684402 - 09/06/13 12:19 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

So I know a lot of growers are still into using CFL bulbs.

here is an article that explains what's in them and how they emit UV rays that can result in cell death/skin cancer ( melanoma to be exact, the worst kind ).

Source

Quote:

(anh-usa.org) - The Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 (EISA) mandates the phase-out of incandescent light bulbs, and favors energy-efficient compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs.
Sounds good—until you realize that CFL bulbs contain mercury, and mercury poses a significant cancer risk. A new study shows that CFL bulbs also emit high levels of ultraviolet radiation—specifically, UVC and UVA rays. In fact, the UV rays are so strong that they can actually burn skin and skin cells. Experts say the radiation could initiate cell death and cause skin cancer in its deadliest form—melanoma.
In every bulb the researchers tested, they found that the protective phosphor coating of the light bulb was cracked, allowing dangerous UV rays to escape. Healthy skin cells exposed to CFLs showed a decrease in their proliferation rate, an increase in the production of reactive oxygen species, and a decrease in ability to contract collagen.
On top of that, it’s a sad fact of life that light bulbs break. How do you clean up the mercury after a bulb breaks? The Institute for Molecular and Nanoscale Innovation measured the release of mercury vapor from broken bulbs. They recorded concentrations near the bulb of up to 800 mcg/m3, which is eight times the average eight-hour occupational exposure limit allowed by OSHA (100 mcg/m3).
Even more shocking, the recommended limit for children is a mere 0.2 mcg/m3. A child exposed to a broken CFL bulb will receive eight thousand times the recommended amount of mercury vapor!

A broken 13-watt CFL bulb will only have released 30% of its mercury a full four days after it is broken—the remainder is trapped in the bulb. So picking up shards with your bare hands or leaving them in poorly ventilated room while you ponder the best disposal method is a particularly bad idea.
Unfortunately, there is no good solution for cleaning up after a broken CFL bulb. Researchers at Brown are testing a cloth made with a nanomaterial (nanoselim) that can capture mercury emissions for proper disposal. But until this is commercially available, it is best to avoid CFLs altogether. And how will we dispose of the clean-up cloth?
General Electric claims that CFLs don’t produce a hazardous amount of UV radiation, and that UV is far less than the amount produced by natural daylight. The truth is that all compact fluorescent lights bulbs contain mercury vapor. Once that vapor is hit with an electric current, it emits a great number of UV rays. UV rays are theoretically absorbed by the layer of phosphor that coats the bulbs—but the signature twisted spiral shape makes these bulbs more prone to cracks in the phosphor, which dramatically increases UV/mercury exposure. Researchers found cracks in almost all bulbs purchased from retail stores, indicating that it is a standard design flaw of these bulbs.
CFL bulbs contains other cancer-causing chemicals as well. German scientists found that several different chemicals and toxins were released when CFLs are turned on, including naphthalene (which has been linked to cancer in animals) and styrene (which has been declared “a likely human carcinogen”). A sort of electrical smog develops around these lamps, which could be dangerous.
CFLs are supposedly better for the environment, but according to the Association of Lighting and Mercury Recyclers, 98% of CFLs end up in landfills—creating a mercury build-up that can escape into our soil and waterways.
We’re happy that the federal government is tackling environmental problems, but this “solution” is especially short-sighted—and not unlike the national smart meter push, is creating serious health risks in the long-term.
Worse, soon consumers won’t have the option to buy incandescent lights—they simply won’t be available. The government hasn’t placed an outright ban on incandescent light bulbs. Section 321 of EISA mandates higher efficiency standards for general service lamps. But these standards are high enough that most commonly used incandescent bulbs just won’t meet the new requirements. EISA will effectively eliminate 40-, 60-, 75-, and 100-watt incandescent bulbs. The new efficiency levels will be in full force by 2014.
Even the United Nations has acknowledged the problem of mercury in CFL bulbs, and has instated a ban on certain types of CFLs. We won’t know the full implications of that ban until the treaty is made publically available.

The good news is that CFLs are not the only energy-efficient bulbs out there. There are also light-emitting diodes (LEDs), which are mercury-free—though LEDs emit blue light, which can be disruptive to sleep, as we noted in our 2012 article.
Action Alert! Please contact your legislators immediately and call for a repeal of the ban on incandescent lights. Tell them about the cancer risks and the lack of proper disposal methods.
Visit Alliance for Natural Heath for more information

Read more at http://www.realfarmacy.com/compact-fluorescent-light-bulbs-a-new-cancer-risk-in-your-home/#AxPphCsuLThty8Vi.99

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePoloDown
Stranger Danger

Re: Interesting article about CFL's [Re: PoloDown]
    #684633 - 09/09/13 10:10 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Not one reply.

Lame :thumbdown:

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #684652 - 09/09/13 12:54 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Awwe...here's a pity post man  :smilingpuppy:

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

#684733 - 09/10/13 03:43 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

you know no one posts shit .:trollmove:

OfflineDoc
stoner
 User Gallery

Loc: New Caledonia
    #706790 - 01/12/14 09:44 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Jesus man this sucks, I'm sitting 2 feet away from a bright ass CFL bulb right now...And I cleaned up more than one CFL bulb I broke when I was like 13 years old...oh well tho I have amalgam in my teeth so I'm exposed to mercury vapor on the daily! : )

But it really is a shame to hear I'm being exposed to more UV just sitting here at my desk...what should I do instead>?  DAmn it man I always knew the only way to get around these issues was just to stop doing all the stupid shit we do. I say fuck this. Why the hell do we have to grow with stupid CFLs>>?? WHEN THE FUCK WILL WE OVERGROW???????????? When the fuck will we move the majority of our weed crops out doors and stop fucking up the environment just for weed??

--------------------
No one is free when others are oppressed

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Interesting article about CFL's [Re: Doc]
    #706792 - 01/12/14 09:50 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Um....there are more than just CFLs for growing dude.....

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflinePoloDown
Stranger Danger

Re: Interesting article about CFL's [Re: Doc]
    #707249 - 01/14/14 01:22 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Doc said:
Jesus man this sucks, I'm sitting 2 feet away from a bright ass CFL bulb right now...And I cleaned up more than one CFL bulb I broke when I was like 13 years old...oh well tho I have amalgam in my teeth so I'm exposed to mercury vapor on the daily! : )

But it really is a shame to hear I'm being exposed to more UV just sitting here at my desk...what should I do instead>?  DAmn it man I always knew the only way to get around these issues was just to stop doing all the stupid shit we do. I say fuck this. Why the hell do we have to grow with stupid CFLs>>?? WHEN THE FUCK WILL WE OVERGROW???????????? When the fuck will we move the majority of our weed crops out doors and stop fucking up the environment just for weed??

Yeah, it sucks.  But, I was just posting for the people who DO use CFL's or are around them every day anyway.  Which it sounds like you are.

There are a few alternatives to CFL for growing, like Hawks stated.

OfflineCharas
Stranger

#716116 - 02/18/14 08:34 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the post, will have to check into this.
Question being, do these bulbs affect plant growth negatively?
Many folks use lightproof cabinets esp with SOG.
Exposure then is minimal and can be made non existent.
And really, who would use those ugly ass things without a fixture in a living environment?
Even a lampshade blocks most UV.

OfflineCrunchbird
Stranger
Male
Loc: Midwest
Re: Interesting article about CFL's [Re: Charas]
    #721336 - 03/14/14 12:00 PM (10 years, 17 days ago)

Damn, any affordable alternative to CFL's in the short run?

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Interesting article about CFL's [Re: Crunchbird]
    #721356 - 03/14/14 02:08 PM (10 years, 16 days ago)

250 or 400 mh/hps fixture.

T5s are good for vegging for the first month ime.

OfflineCrunchbird
Stranger
Male

Re: Interesting article about CFL's [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #721357 - 03/14/14 02:11 PM (10 years, 16 days ago)

Thanks, mh sounds right for the veg, hps for flowering.

InvisibleP-O

Re: Interesting article about CFL's [Re: Crunchbird] * 1
    #721359 - 03/14/14 02:18 PM (10 years, 16 days ago)

im usin hps for both .  seems to being going well so far  :pimp3:

OfflineCrunchbird
Stranger
Male

Re: Interesting article about CFL's [Re: P-O]
    #721360 - 03/14/14 02:30 PM (10 years, 16 days ago)

Interesting, I had always heard plants grow too tall & fall over in the veg stage with hps.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #721374 - 03/14/14 03:17 PM (10 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Crunchbird said:
Interesting, I had always heard plants grow too tall & fall over in the veg stage with hps.

That's a big load of shit.  People tout that type of non-sense all the time.  If they say that, they obviously have never tried vegging with HPS.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineCrunchbird
Stranger
Male

Re: Interesting article about CFL's [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #721377 - 03/14/14 03:28 PM (10 years, 16 days ago)

Thanks, it'd be nice to be able to use one type light for both stages.

Edited by Crunchbird (03/14/14 03:30 PM)

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Trusted Cultivator
    #721394 - 03/14/14 03:58 PM (10 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Crunchbird said:
Thanks, it'd be nice to be able to use one type light for both stages.

Alternatively you can get one with a switchable ballast.

OfflineCrunchbird
Stranger
Male

Re: Interesting article about CFL's [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #721396 - 03/14/14 04:06 PM (10 years, 16 days ago)

Good ideas,guys, and thanks. I've never done a grow before, I'll probably make mistakes but that's the best way to learn.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale