Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

Perlite Changing Colors?
    #718160 - 02/27/14 05:14 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I'm working on my first grow right now, and so far I've had a little trip up here and there but overall, not failing completely.  (If you wanna help or comment on that, link's in my sig)

I'm growing in hempy buckets, or rather, I'm still in the mini-hempy cup stage and haven't transplanted any to their permanent residence yet, but I've been noticing that the perlite in my cups is changing colors a bit over time.  It kind of seems like it's turning yellow, or orangish, but only on the side facing the light.  Is this a mold, or perhaps some weird algae type organism?  Or am I overthinking it?

I haven't taken a picture explicitly showcasing the perlite itself but you can kind of see what I mean in this picture.  Obviously the camera doesn't quite capture the full color of it but you can see see it on the sides a bit.

Input plz? :confused:

edit:
Actually you can see it even better in this one:

Edited by Inocuole (02/27/14 05:20 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Perlite Changing Colors? [Re: Inocuole]
    #718171 - 02/27/14 05:37 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

It's just normal discoloration dude.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

Re: Perlite Changing Colors? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #718179 - 02/27/14 05:48 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks.  It never changed color when I used it for mushroom related shit (SGFC) so my first impression was that it was abnormal.  Do you think that's caused by the MH lamp?  Besides the plant and nutes, that's the only other factor at play.

Ah well, I'm just relieved to hear it's not harmful.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #718239 - 02/27/14 07:19 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Well you have a nutrient solution going into it.  That is going to leave some discoloration.  Also bacteria and mold can start to colonize it as well.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

Re: Perlite Changing Colors? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #718283 - 02/27/14 08:55 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Are there any precautions I should take against mold or bacteria?  Is it generally not a concern?  I'm used to mushrooms where everything has to be perfectly clean.  That said, I'm confident enough in my mushroom growing capabilities that a little mold in my perlite doesn't pose a real threat, as long as it doesn't harm the potential ladies residing in the perlite itself.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #718287 - 02/27/14 09:04 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Use a beneficial microbe supplement, that will help prevent issues with that stuff.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #718312 - 02/28/14 02:00 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Sometimes, usually from over watering, you'll get a green mold that shows up on the top layer, perlite or not. When I had that problem I'd just give it a quick/light spray of hydrogen peroxide two to three days in a row and cut back on watering. Its only a problem when you first learn to grow, then you learn to water properly and it goes away. Its no permanent solution, you'll want to treat the problem then solve it from happening again.

But what you posted looks fairly normal for plants--there is usually a bit of a green tint that shows up. The possible start of some green mold but it doesn't look too bad. Let the medium dry out a little bit more between waterings and don't over saturate and you'll eliminate the problem. An oscillating fan that can penetrate the lower levels of the garden should also help keep that top layer a little more dryer.

But like hawk said, beneficial bacteria usually are what protect the medium from such invasive species. When a mold spore lands in an area that is protected it not only has to grow, but it has to fight for every inch of territory, whereas a sterile medium is an invitation for any and all mold/bacteria to a free lunch.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

Re: Perlite Changing Colors? [Re: phychotron]
    #718398 - 02/28/14 12:42 PM (10 years, 30 days ago)

Indeed, thanks dude.  I was wondering if a quick application of H2O2 would be good but you nailed that question down pretty well.

I'll keep an eye on it but I've already since figured out watering and such.  I was overwatering at first for sure, but since the roots have really expanded that doesn't happen anymore, and I know how to avoid it for the newer ones coming in.

My first transplant from a 48 oz cup to a 3 gallon bucket blew my mind, to say the least.  They were about a month old,  I had no idea their root masses got so large so fast.  I wasn't expecting it to have already wound around the bottom and such.  Pretty fucking cool though.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies