Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Seeds dying after germination?
    #714085 - 02/10/14 08:40 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

I'm having a problem with a certain strain *cough*Animal Cookies*cough* where shortly after germination the stem falls apart, turns to mush, or withers and turns brown before getting even an inch(couple cm) long. Is there a solution to fix this or increase the chances of success after germination?

I also have another strain that grew out of it's medium into the open air, but it seems to have stopped growing and is staying white instead of turning green. Is there a way to improve the chances of surviving?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Seeds dying after germination? [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #714089 - 02/10/14 08:52 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Sounds like low light and soil that is to moist. (all I have to go by is what you told us)

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Seeds dying after germination? [Re: Magash]
    #714176 - 02/11/14 02:17 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

are you germinating with a humidity dome? if you are dont use one.

It sounds like your seeds are damping off due to soil that is too moist and/or moisture in the air (just as magash suggested)

could you give a little more information about the environment you're germinating the seeds in and the germ methods you're using?

--------------------
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is" - ED Rosenthal

Maine Caregiver In 100% compliance with Maine state laws.

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

#714178 - 02/11/14 02:31 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

That was my initial assumption so I used the paper towel germination method but made sure the moisture was kept to just a few drops at a time, just enough to only squeeze a couple of drops out of the paper towel, but it genuinely seems that it's impossible for the seeds to make it beyond a day or 2 without falling apart or shrinking and turning yellow brown. It's really strange. I guess I'll just keep trying. Thanks

@farme joe. I have been using a homemade box thing that raises humidity above the 15% of the room they are in, but most of the time the strain just fall apart before I can get them in there.  Should I not be raising humidity for the other seedling strains that survived?

As for the other strain I was having trouble with... Is it possible that irregular shaped seeds can have problems opening and letting the seedling tops out? Would this stunt growth? It seems like the seed shell is stuck closed preventing photosynthesis maybe. According to the internet this strain isn't very reliable to grow either.

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
    #714180 - 02/11/14 03:03 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

The best thing you could do is plant those seeds directly into soil and use a heat mat during the germination and early seedling stage.

I get the best germ rates when i sow my seeds the way mother nature has intended.  :growingweed:

I should add that I DO sometimes soak seeds before i plant them if they're old or super thick.

Quote:

Midgetpawn said:
@farme joe. I have been using a homemade box thing that raises humidity above the 15% of the room they are in, but most of the time the strain just fall apart before I can get them in there.  Should I not be raising humidity for the other seedling strains that survived.

Once the seeds germ and are above soil they don't need to be in the box you made. Some strains do have shitty germ rates though. So you may just be dealing with a sensitive strain.

--------------------
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is" - ED Rosenthal

Maine Caregiver In 100% compliance with Maine state laws.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #714345 - 02/11/14 11:03 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

I have a question for ya. How old are the seeds? I've seen this happen with seeds that were old. They just seem to bust the shell and then nothing. I never had success with them.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

#723764 - 03/29/14 05:15 PM (10 years, 23 days ago)

They couldn't have been that old since it was a strain that had only started appearing within the last 2 years at the most, unless maybe they weren't the real seeds advertised. IDK what the deal was, but the breeder replaced the seeds and these don't have the same problem.

Just wanted to update.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies