Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblethedrake
N00B
Male User Gallery

1st grow (harvest numbers are in)
    #696720 - 12/03/13 06:59 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

hello growery! been awhile since ive visited last. i finally have started my 1st grow. im so excited!

ive got 1 plant from bagseed 33 days into veg. its under 1x32w ho t5, 2x20w cool white t8, and i think its a 26w cfl. shes (well hopeing shes a she) planted in scotts brand potting soil.in a coffee can. i havent used any type of nutrients yet except for a handful of horse manure when i first planted.

im thinking about transplanting into a 3gal pot with a soilless mix.  most likely coir.if i even can seeing how i started with soil.can i use straight coir or should i mix in some perlite? i will also be picking up some nutes this coming weekend. if i go with a soilless mix, i need hydro nutes right?

also she has some yellow spots on a lower leaf. any ideas whats causing this.
the reason shes bent is because i was trying some lst.

sorry for the low quality pics. only got a dinosaur of digital camera. i plan on getting a better one soon.

--------------------

Edited by thedrake (02/28/14 06:16 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 1st grow [Re: thedrake]
    #696741 - 12/03/13 11:44 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Thats some crappy looking soil, I don't recommend any of the house plant mixes as they're make for people who don't want to water their plants all the time. Not the most aerated soils either, usually compact and full of peat.

I'd go into a soil-less mix or a better soil. Your going to need some sort of nutrient, less if your in soil(possibly none). Get a basic 2 or 3 part nutrient, should last you awhile if your small scale. If you go coco coir make sure to get the stuff thats been treated for plants, usually the loose-fill bags. The bricks need to be treated, and may also contain lots of excess salt from not being washed properly. If you go all coir you'll need some nutrients for sure. I suggest a coco-specific blend as there is some chemistry-specific benefits of using coco.

There is a good coco/perlite blend out there called ReadyGro by botanicare that is 50/50 coco/perlite with a dash of trace nutrients to stabilize it. I recommend that at first if you can find it. I've only used the Aeration blend, but they have another thats suppose to hold more water, otherwise it will need watching over since it can dry out fast. The soil you have now will act as a water reserve though, so it will take a long time for that portion to dry compared to the coco. I use the Canna brand coco straight without anything else and I like it. The Canna representative told me they don't like using perlite, but didn't explain why other than their coco is blended to have an optimal (i think 43% air) air-water mixture. House and Garden also makes a good coco coir.

If you don't have that many lights then you're going to want to switch it into flower before it gets really big--but at least a week after transplanting, once the plant starts to show signs of growth again (and not before.)

Those spots are probably from the soil your in right now, deficiency of some sort. I wouldn't worry about a few lower leaves too much unless they keep getting worse--sometimes those older bottom leaves will have that problem but the rest of the plant will be perfectly healthy. The plant looks healthy, the main stalk is a nice thickness and healthy green color, but there is some nutrient problems developing as indicated from the lightening of the leaf. The first photo shows it the best, yellowing around the tips and between the veins of the leaf. And in the upper left there is some brown nasty-ness going on one of the leaves. Its only going to get worse.

I would try and wash away as much of that soil as possible when transplanting, if you have a spray hose for your sink they work great for gently blasting the soil away and not breaking the roots. Its a tricky operation and can go horribly wrong, but that soil doesn't have the right nutrient profile and the more you can get rid of the better.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 1st grow (moved) [Re: thedrake]
    #696744 - 12/04/13 12:14 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

This thread was moved from Grow Journals.

Reason:
This thread is better suited in the Cultivation forum. You could shape it up into a grow journal, but it seems like your at the level where you need more input than spectators.

This thread will explain some basic journal guidelines. Feel free to start another journal if your heart is set on it but you'd be fine keeping the one thread open for the entire run, and probably better off if you need to ask a lot of questions.

Invisiblethedrake
N00B
Male User Gallery

Re: 1st grow [Re: phychotron]
    #696749 - 12/04/13 03:20 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

wow!thanks alot for the info, exactly what i was looking for:thumbup: the upper leaves with some brown on them, got a little too close to the light.i do have a 400w hps for flowering when the time comes. im going to wait until it gets closer to xmas to flower. cant have the house too stinky when the family comes over for dinner.:stoned:

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #696868 - 12/04/13 05:54 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Light burn makes sense, but sometimes that will happen from nutrient deficiency, or on clones before they're rooted will die out with that burnt look.

You should use the 400 in veg also if you have it. The plant should like it better than the cfl's. Transplant as soon as you possible. You might need to cut the coffee can to avoid damaging the roots-- one of the reasons pots have a slight taper to them.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Invisiblethedrake
N00B
Male User Gallery

#697228 - 12/06/13 05:26 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

sothis is what i picked up today from the local grow shop. they didnt have coco specific nutes. will this stuff work okay? any tips for the transplanting process?

--------------------

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #697230 - 12/06/13 05:47 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

They carried coco, but not coco specific nutes?  Weird.

Those nutes will work ok.  Did you pick up a PPM or EC pen?  It's not completely needed, but will help a ton.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Invisiblethedrake
N00B
Male User Gallery

Re: 1st grow [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #697258 - 12/06/13 07:41 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

i think the lady that owns the store just opened it just because she thought it would be profitable.she didnt know anything about the products she was selling.

i didnt get an ec or ppm meter yet. i started this with almost no money to put towards it. so im buying a thing or two with each paycheck. next week im going to get a meter. should i get ec,ppm, or both?
  i forgot to grab some ph up and down today as well.:mad2: and the store is 30-35 miles away.
i got some ph testing liquid with the general hydroponics performance pack and found out my water has a ph of 7+
so i cant even switch to coir yet. i feel like a little kid staring at my new badass toy with no batteries.

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #697260 - 12/06/13 07:58 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

You would get one or the other.  I always preferred a PPM meter, that really because it's what I started with.  Other people prefer EC.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #697291 - 12/06/13 10:36 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

I've rarely needed pH+, only when I've overshot the pH-, but even then I just use water to raise it back up/dilute. 

A ppm meter is just the reads the EC and multiplies it by a constant--which depends on the brand. EC is suppose to be more universal, but ppm's is still an acceptable calculation.

ppm and pH are not essential that you use a meter, but a meter will help. Those pH drops work for awhile but you'll eventually want to get a meter once those drops start running out, they just suck to use after awhile. And as long as your not mixing full strength the entire time you probably won't have a problem with too high of a ppm, just watch the plants for any signs of nute burn (brown/yellowing tips and edges of leaves) and learn the plant and how it likes your nutrients.

You should be fine for a few days not adjusting the pH, it will drop a little once you mix up the nutrients and the plant will usually be fine for a bit, but its not ideal. Especially since you'll have a soil-coir hybrid you'll have two different pH optimal ranges for absorption. You'll probably want to adjust it to somewhere between the two, like 6.3.

--------------------

Invisiblethedrake
N00B
Male User Gallery

#698506 - 12/11/13 04:13 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

i transplanted to some coir 2 days ago and things seem to be going decent.would the hps be better for veg. than what i got now? also how long should i wait after transplanting before i can start some lst?

a couple pics of the roots when i transplanted.

i think the deformed looking leaves are where they got burnt by the light.

new seedling that doesnt look the best.

--------------------

Invisiblethedrake
N00B
Male User Gallery

Re: 1st grow [Re: thedrake] * 1
    #702162 - 12/25/13 06:55 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

ive been running a 400w mh for about 10 days now and my plant seems to be likeing it. i just got a temp gauge and found out my box was getting upto 90* when the mh was on. i opened a door to the next room which is not heated and turned my ballast down to 75% power. temps are about 80* now.some of my leaves are droopy and kinda yellow. do you think thats from the high heat for 10days that caused this or some kind of nutrient deficiency?

--------------------

Invisiblethedrake
N00B
Male User Gallery

#704538 - 01/04/14 05:43 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

DAY 3 of flowering

ive improved my ventilation a bit. i installed a 6in inline fan thats rated at 250cfm. i also got a 50cfm fan sitting in front of my intake hole. i got her tied down all around the pot, trying to keep the height down. shes definitly a girl. ive spotted some calyxs with pistils sticking out.cool tube and carbon filter will be here by friday. cant wait to actually see some buds!:smile:

hows she looking so far?

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #704611 - 01/04/14 10:30 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

How often are you watering?  And how much each time?  They look a little droopy, but fairly healthy overall.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #704620 - 01/05/14 04:54 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Looks decent but a few of those leaves need to feed, notice the yellow/green striping between the outer veins.  Some signs of heat stress as well.  Have you given the plant a full dose of nutrients yet? If not I'd try giving them full strength when the soil starts to dry out and see how the plant respond. Wait till the pot is light when picking it up to make sure it dries enough between waterings. Watch the plant for any negative signs but its large enough it can take a good dose without torching it.

The coco portion of your medium has absolutely no nutrients in it and the plants will start showing deficiency immediately if you don't feed. Your soil core will be unable able to support that large of a structure for very long(and was already showing signs of deficiency in early veg.)  When I put clones in pure coco they need full strength nutrients within a week or two, but if you did that in soil you'd probably kill them.

Should be a good harvest if you keep it up. 

--------------------

Invisiblethedrake
N00B
Male User Gallery

#704669 - 01/05/14 10:28 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

i was watering every other day with about .5 gallon of diluted nutrients. ive started to water daily with 1 litre of full strength nutrients when i started to flower. i was scared of burning her is why i was holding back on the nutes.
even after installing the 6in fan i cant seem to get temps under 84. im going to play with the intake hole size today to see if that helps.

been reading up on cheap digital ballasts causing rf interfence. is this still a problem? i got mine from apollo horticulture, their website says the ballasts are rf sheilded. my sat tv, wifi, fm radio, and cell phones work without problems.i dont get any am radio stations with ballast on or off. does this mean that my neighbors stuff should be working too? there is no cable company around here. almost all rf issues ive read about involved cable companys.

--------------------

Offlinerikiacypher
Stranger
    #704709 - 01/05/14 12:56 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

I'm gay and like hary dicks.

Edited by Magash (01/05/14 01:23 PM)

InvisibleP-O

Re: 1st grow [Re: rikiacypher]
    #704718 - 01/05/14 01:08 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #704744 - 01/05/14 02:52 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

thedrake said:
i was watering every other day with about .5 gallon of diluted nutrients. ive started to water daily with 1 litre of full strength nutrients when i started to flower. i was scared of burning her is why i was holding back on the nutes.
even after installing the 6in fan i cant seem to get temps under 84. im going to play with the intake hole size today to see if that helps.

been reading up on cheap digital ballasts causing rf interfence. is this still a problem? i got mine from apollo horticulture, their website says the ballasts are rf sheilded. my sat tv, wifi, fm radio, and cell phones work without problems.i dont get any am radio stations with ballast on or off. does this mean that my neighbors stuff should be working too? there is no cable company around here. almost all rf issues ive read about involved cable companys.

Don't worry about the rf stuff, sounds like you're fine.

You have been watering WAY too often.  Like phyco said, you need to wait until the pots are dry.  And then water thoroughly.  Weight of the pot is a great way to determine that like Phyco said as well.

85 as a high temp, is just fine.  That being said, what is the temp at the top of the canopy?

--------------------

-niteowl

Edited by Hawksresurrection (01/05/14 02:52 PM)

Invisiblethedrake
N00B
Male User Gallery

#704760 - 01/05/14 03:55 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

~84 when the light is on.~64 when the light is off. im going to start watering when the pot feels light. thanks for the help guys:thumbup::stoned:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder