Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTribalSeed
SoulJah

Loc: Babylon
Dimmable Ballast and Temp and Plants and and and.....
    #700830 - 12/20/13 12:18 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Hey all.

I currently have a 4x4x7 tent with a 6 in 430cfm fan hooked to a carbon filter and a cool tube light. The light specs are 400w MH on a digital ballast that can handle HPS or MH. The ballast has a dimming option (50%, 75%, and 100%). My temps with the ballast on 75% is around 74 to 82F. Not Bad, with RH being 35% never dropping below 30% or rising above 38%. I turned my ballast all the way up and my temps soared to 87F, however I did not have my fan turned all the way up. On my Speed controller my fan sits around the lower part of the mid setting.
I know I could turn my fan up to solve most of the rise in temp, however my girls are only 11 days old. I have Trainwreck, bubba kush, Kerala Krush and NL X Skunk. All very young.
My question is, do my girls need 100% light yet and will my carbon scrubber last all the way through flowering if I have to turn my ballast up and turn my fan up. I think I have a pretty good setup going for a beginner. I have studied for years but this is my first serious grow with all this equipment.
If this info is needed I am using soil and they are in red solo cups right now until they get bigger and are ready to transplant.

I am curious to know if A. I have a good setup going so far and B. The heating and lighting issues. It seems plenty bright enough without turning the ballast all the way up, but I am definitely not experienced enough to make this call and was hoping some buds from the growery could make a call.

Thanks guys and gals.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Dimmable Ballast and Temp and Plants and and and..... [Re: TribalSeed]
    #700842 - 12/20/13 12:32 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

I always run lights 100%.  The bulbs are not designed to be ran at lower levels, from my understanding this reduces the life span of the bulb.

I would run 100%, then just keep them an appropriate distance from the plants. 

Yes your carbon scrubber should work effectively for about a year or more.  Mine is going on 3 and needs to be changed, but still works to an extent.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineTribalSeed
SoulJah

Re: Dimmable Ballast and Temp and Plants and and and..... [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #700850 - 12/20/13 12:56 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
I always run lights 100%.  The bulbs are not designed to be ran at lower levels, from my understanding this reduces the life span of the bulb.

I would run 100%, then just keep them an appropriate distance from the plants. 

Yes your carbon scrubber should work effectively for about a year or more.  Mine is going on 3 and needs to be changed, but still works to an extent.

Awesome. I was curious how long the scrubber would last. Grow shops cant really explain in terms related to marijuana around here, which I get.
How come it affects the life of the bulb when ran at lower levels? I trust your information I am just curious. For a 400w MH the distance from the plants would be about 12 inches right? Or just use the hand test to measure the distance?
Does the setup sound ok? My plants seem to be growing kinda slow, but I think that is just me being impatient and I have read too many times that the impatience of a new grower usually threatens the success of a grow.

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #700862 - 12/20/13 03:06 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

It reduces the amount of life, because they aren't designed to be run lower.  I'm not sure of the specifics of it, but that is my understanding.

It's hard to say what exactly is causing the slow growth, if there really is any.  Remember that the number 1 mistake new growers make, is over watering.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineTribalSeed
SoulJah

Re: Dimmable Ballast and Temp and Plants and and and..... [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #700897 - 12/20/13 08:36 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
It reduces the amount of life, because they aren't designed to be run lower.  I'm not sure of the specifics of it, but that is my understanding.

It's hard to say what exactly is causing the slow growth, if there really is any.  Remember that the number 1 mistake new growers make, is over watering.

Definitely. I water them based on weight. If they feel light I will water them and only feed them nutes every other watering. Until I am familiar with the weight by feel I have taken weights of each plant right after watering and 3 days later once the soil was dry about 2 inches down.
Honestly once the lights came on today around 4pm, I took a peak and overnight I got two sets of leaves shooting out on each one except bubba kush. Ive heard bubba is notoriously slow during veg so I assume this is probably normal. Still looks healthy.

I got my light going at 100% now. Thanks for the information on that.

My nutes are just GH Micro and Grow, CalMag, and Florablend. Nothing over 3 mL right now since they are so young.

Is my method good for the watering? And seriously thank you for the reply and helping me out. You and Magash have always jumped on my threads and helped me and I really appreciate it.

Jah Bless!

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #700990 - 12/21/13 12:03 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

At 11 days old, you should NOT be giving nutrients.  Way too soon.

The watering method sounds fine.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineTribalSeed
SoulJah

#701235 - 12/21/13 09:10 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
At 11 days old, you should NOT be giving nutrients.  Way too soon.

The watering method sounds fine.

I will cut the nutes out now then. I will admit though, after their first feeding with the florablend they exploded. However I would hate to retard them in some way just to speed up the seedling process.
Thanks once again for the valuable info Hawk!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies