Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHime
Stranger

Flower Stretch quest
    #698275 - 12/10/13 12:08 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Hey all, I've got 4 girl scout cookie clones all about the same size here. they are in a 2 x 2 ft area... I'm thinking it may be about time to flower them if they are going to widen much more during flower.

I have a 250w hps coming in so I can handle a little height to the plants now I think but still I'm thinking I may run out of space during flower, if I don't begin to flower soonish... what do you guys think?

thx for any input :sun:

--------------------
Livin, learnin, takin it easy :willynilly:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Flower Stretch quest [Re: Hime]
    #698280 - 12/10/13 12:45 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

They will grow 2-3 time in height when flowering.  Unless you train them a bunch more they shouldn't really get wider .

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineHime
Stranger

Re: Flower Stretch quest [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #698282 - 12/10/13 12:50 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

sexy, thanks buddy :hug: you guys are awesome

--------------------

OfflineHime
Stranger

#699794 - 12/17/13 08:00 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

thinking it is time to flower after seeing this chart showing 16 inches being the furthest still effective range for a 250w. Thinking about tying them down the best I can now and then starting flower. Do you remove lowest concealed nodes before flower?

--------------------

Offlinemystkspiral

#699797 - 12/17/13 08:03 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

thats what i shoudlve done, took a lot of advice from local growers to lollipop 2 weeks into flowering after initial stretch, so you can see what needs to be trimmed off easier.

but now i wish i trimmed the last week of veg, just so during flower my plants dont use energy in trying to recover from the lollipop.

i would say to trim now before flower, thats just my opinion, wish i did with my current grow... will for my next!

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #699799 - 12/17/13 08:04 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

You better flower now, they'll stretch 2-3 times their current size man.

You could do it now, or later, or not at all.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineHime
Stranger

#699883 - 12/17/13 10:51 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

thanks for the replies guys... whew ya no kidding I pushed far in this little space.. flowering asap, tied, dark now, lights coming on in the morning. They have very little room to widen.

Its hard for me to remove the nodes or leaves... need to read more before I get into pruning much or noding. Gotta look that term up too "lollipopping"... your plants are looking gorgeous though :smile: That was my thought on it too but I guess since I need to flower asap I will wait on it, maybe the lower nodes will help slow these beasts down.

just read a bit about pinching the stems during veg or up to the first four weeks of flowing. I guess the stems should make a pop sound if you've done it right? It's suppose to slow the stretch resulting in a lower plant in the long run.

Does anyone do this? Might give it a try

--------------------

Edited by Hime (12/17/13 11:32 PM)

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #699889 - 12/18/13 12:19 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Lollipopping isn't a common term.  He is just referring to trimming lower buds basically. Ignore it.  Let the lower buds grow, all the larfy buds that don't get good light go great in hash bags or butter.  Let them grow.

The stretching has nothing to do with them getting wider, they are going to get taller dude.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineHime
Stranger

#699964 - 12/18/13 11:39 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

ok cool I'll let them be this go around.

I thought I remembered my last couple grows gaining some width in the fan leaves but I could be mistaken about when vegging ended and flowering began.

I may have picked the perfect time to begin flowering then.. even if they gained a little fan leaf size I should still be good space wise.

This 250w HPS is definitely working well... beautiful red glow going on now :smile:

I inspected the 250w MH bulb after removing and on the center incased bulb there is a darkish/tanish stain covering half of it. I wonder if that's normal.. looks like some liquid or something squirted and then painted half the middle bulb. I'll put a pic up in a little bit.

thx again for everything :sun:

thinking about going ahead and pinching some of the more mature outer shoots hopefully allowing the middle shoots to catch up. Ever use this method? Is it overly stressful?

--------------------

Edited by Hime (12/18/13 12:19 PM)

OfflineHime
Stranger

#700880 - 12/20/13 06:14 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

having trouble finding distilled water anywhere around here... my ph meter says to dip it in distilled then suck it with a filter paper before and after using. I wonder if RO water would work the same?

--------------------

OfflineHime
Stranger

#700970 - 12/21/13 11:13 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

company responded, its ok to use

--------------------

OfflineHime
Stranger

#701075 - 12/21/13 02:30 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

thought I read somewhere on this site recently that PH up may kill microbes? Am I mistaken? not able to find it again

--------------------

OfflineHime
Stranger

#701514 - 12/22/13 04:41 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

over n out :p

thought about it a bit more... I guess getting over 11+ ph is coasting into bleach status, so adding ph up to a microbe rich solution might kill off some microbes as it dilutes into the bigger pool... I'm guessing once the ph begins to even out within the main mixture it wouldn't be as harmful?

made a batch of stronger then usual nutrient mix that phed at 4.8... decided to make a ph 11 water to dilute with. Guessing it would be less harmful then the straight ph up into the mixture.

added under half a gallon of ph 11 water to little over 1 1/2 gallon tub of 4.8 nutrient mix.. now up to 5.4 ph... tempted to water in as it is now so I don't kill any more of my herd... soil ph is 6.7, with a hefty amount of dolomite lime... probably will just bring it up to 6 instead.

--------------------

Edited by Hime (12/22/13 04:58 PM)

OfflineHime
Stranger

#701519 - 12/22/13 05:16 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

here's that stained bulb too, wasn't like that prior to plugging into the ballast

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #701541 - 12/22/13 06:16 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Discoloration is normal after it being fired up for the first time.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineHime
Stranger

#701549 - 12/22/13 06:48 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

sweet, thx brotha

--------------------

OfflineHime
Stranger

#702294 - 12/26/13 03:51 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

are these looking well fed? the flash makes them appear a bit lighter then the naked eye sees, the darker colored pics are more realistic

gave them a little bit more

my water ph is all over the place these last few days... thinking it must be due to the small amount of jobes 2-8 tomato and vegetable dry feed that I soaked in this batch of fertilizer.. it contains a ton of microbes but may be unstable. mixed up a batch ended up being 4.9 then added ph 11 water, went to 5.4, couple days after that 7.1... fed the 2 above plants with 7.1, a few more days pass, ph now 8.2... added two 1/4 tsp of ph down to 1 1/2 gallons of 8.2 water.. ph dropped to 7.5... shaking well in between each, added 2 more 1/4 tsp ph down... went to 7.1 shook up and waited. Added another 2 1/4 tsp of ph down, shook vigorously and waited. phed at 7.1 still, added another 1/4 tsp of ph down... shook and waited. Still 7.1... doesn't make much sense to me unless the jobes chunks were interacting with the mixture as I shook each time, releasing and possibly raising the ph. Went ahead and watered with 7.1... will see what happens

--------------------

Edited by Hime (12/26/13 10:22 PM)

OfflineHime
Stranger

#702483 - 12/27/13 02:28 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

I believe something may have been wrongly phed or the 2-8 jobes fertilizer is causing a drift

after feeding I noticed they did become darker but still a light green color. I decided to water until I had some decent run off.. I watered with 6.0 ph, first quart of phed water comes out 7.8(thinking my soil must be around 8.2 then?), second quart 7.8, third 7.7-7.8. I do have a tablespoon of 2-8 jobes mixed in with each pot... maybe that's causing the ph to sit high... cant really say for sure.

Thinking of going full flush mode and running a gallon or two more of 6.0... I would go lower but im afraid of causing an abrupt change. Today I may see what four more quarts of 6.0 does to the run off. Then tomorrow maybe drop it down to 5.5 and add another gallon to see.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #702706 - 12/27/13 09:32 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

It sounds like your adding a lot of pH adjustment and other stuff so that its impossible to tell whats causing it. I couldn't even read all that stuff about what you did. Make a spread sheet that includes columns for the date and all the additives, ph up/down, gallons of water, ppm and pH (prior to watering) and pH of the runoff. And any other relevant data to keep track of. 

Keep a column for comments, its the most important one or you'll forget everything. Your memory needs something to stick to, something as simple as 'moved the plants' can help out a lot.

Eventually you will collect enough data to make a chart and it will be easier to read, just by glancing at it you'll be able to establish trends. Google Drive offers a free spreadsheet program that you can use and share with people. Its not as functional as the computer version but gets the job done for the most part.

The spreadsheet I put together has all my nutrients listed on another sheet with cost, so as I log the nutrients that I mix up it also calculates the concentration and cost of everything, including % of costs for each product. I also added an electricity sheet and have it calculate how much electricity costs, just enter the date flower starts and stops. After harvest I just have to put in the total amount of bud, nutrients are down to $2.43 per ounce, total cost per ounce is $6.17. If I put in the weight for the individual plants and select a pot size it will tell me how many ounces per gallon of medium. This last grow ranged from 1-2.3, but an overall average of 1.4 oz/gal

This last harvest I added some efficiency calculations--grams per watt (light, actual power draw) and grams per kilowatt hour (total power consumption, including fans). The stuff is not fully harvested but Ive got it estimated it at .83 g/watt and .6g/kw-h.  Basically there is a lot you can do with a spreadsheet and the numbers are all calculated on the spot so as soon as you enter the data you have the results instantly.

Generally I don't even use pH up, just add more water and dilute the nutrients (they usually lower pH) if its accidentally too low after adjusting it. If they need more nutrients I'll add some, but its usually not so much of a difference that its worth it.

Try mixing some of that jobes into water and see how the pH responds, up or down. You can do that with all your additives, but most things either drop pH or do nothing and few things raise it--Silica being one of them.

Look into cal/mg as a way to stabilize the pH. Also check out adding lime to your soil to help buffer the pH.

Your plants don't look bad. The faded green is probably from the pH being off.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineHime
Stranger

Re: Flower Stretch quest [Re: phychotron]
    #702725 - 12/27/13 10:38 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

beautiful response man, Ty. Gonna have to check out that spreadsheet sounds awesome

I thought about trying that with the jobes, thank you for reminding me.

It could be something buffered in the kellogs too, ya hard to say with all the shit I did.. thinking my ph meter was wrong somewhere a long the line... but I hadn't been testing run off until now.

After a couple gallon of ph 6.0 water I brought the run off down to about 7.5... tomorrow I'm going to see what a gallon more of 5.5 water does.

they are gonna be pretty hungry by the time there is room in the soil for nute absorption.. I wonder if it would be wise to, after flushing the soil to 7, to try squeezing some in anyway.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder