Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
The moment you realize you've been doing something stupid...
    #699316 - 12/15/13 10:56 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

For me that was earlier today when I was thinking about how terrible of a flush I gave my plants the other day. What happened is this: I ran out of silica and had to leave the garden in early flower and forgot some stuff so they streched out more than I wanted. But I had some hacked down tomato cages for supports and I just let it go. now the buds are so top heavy they are keeling over and have weak stems so whenever they get touched they bend over and dont recover, no tying anything around the stem, it just flops over.

So when it came to flush I was stumped. What I did the other day was fill up my res with pure water and open the blumats (auto feeders) all the way. Two each with tiny lines so it takes awhile for two plants to flush at a time, any more and there is almost no pressure and takes much longer. But what to do with the water? it was pooling up in the tray, obviously not going to hold a few gallons of water.. so I did it the hard way, I used two 100ml syringes and sucked it out slowly over the course of a few hours. I started at over 2000ppm (meter wouldn't display) and got it down to 800ppms for the run off before the syringes became too worn from the salts to work. At least 1000 syringe fulls.

So today I'm in walmart and looking at the pet stuff when it occours to me, I have pumps that I can just point the input downward into the tray and pump the water out.. just needed to turn the pump 90º and viola, no more bullshit. So now I even made a flush ring that has a pumping fresh water through a ring with small nozels that are the same size but different type as the aerocloner one's. Working amazing and completely automated. I've been planning on getting some flood trays to do it, but for some dumb reason thought my pump needed a higher water level.

The moral of the story: PLAN OUT YOUR FLUSH. Its a bitch moving plants to the bathroom to use the shower, especially when they're loaded down with buds... water water everywhere.

Pretty dissapointing crop but still going to be decent, just not as much as I'd hoped--I trimmed too much out of the lowers..

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

Re: The moment you realize you've been doing something stupid... [Re: phychotron]
    #699332 - 12/16/13 04:57 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

:wellhellothere:

Dam those are really nice plants . Cant say I mind my buds being so big they fall over thow.......lol

Im still learning how to flush myself.

Thanks for the info .

InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: The moment you realize you've been doing something stupid... [Re: budgrowerwannabe]
    #699347 - 12/16/13 09:59 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

funny i click this thread. i'm 56 days in flower today with 2 blue dream, and i was actually just starting to look at flush and harvest dates. i'm shooting for a 10 week harvest with a 2 week flush. so i'll be flushing out starting at the end of this week/beginning of next.

any tips? i plan on using clearex this time, unlike my last grow. i think the first time i grew (in 5 gal pots, same as now) when i flushed i ran 2 gallons of water + final phase through, and then another 3 - 5 gallons of plain water. i cant remember the ratio of container size and gallons of water for a flush. any advice would be awesome.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The moment you realize you've been doing something stupid... [Re: CrushNazT]
    #699387 - 12/16/13 11:44 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Well it sounds like phyco is running a hydro system.

But with soil, you should run 3-5 times more water than soil for the ratio.  So a 5 gallons pot will need a minimum of 15 gallons.  I personally don't use clearex, just a very very light nute solution, around 100 ppm.  Then water with plainer water the rest of the 2 weeks.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The moment you realize you've been doing something stupid... [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #699399 - 12/16/13 12:29 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Ya its about 4-5x the volume of the container, until it starts running off clear. This was a much needed flush, as they were coming out at 1400 ppms at first. I did about 15-20 more gallons per pot.  I've never used a flushing product but I wish I had one this time just because I need to chop soon. I did this flush a little late and they're going to go another week, probably less though. I'm just going to hope they're alright. I normally try and go at least a full week after flushing with water, but prefer more like two. Coco flushes easily so it depends on your medium as well.

Coco is hydro but its set up like soil would be. I was thinking i need to upgrade to a drain to waste setup for easier flushing, but I need some trays to collect the water. The round one's barely fit the pump and would overflow cause the pump would run dry and stop working for a few seconds. I use blumats for watering, but will probably set those as a back up system if the pump breaks. The blumats unfortunately are an plant-driven drip feed, so salts tend to build up in the coco and you want to flush from time to time. Drain to waste solves that problem or at least makes it less of a problem.

Be careful when moving flowering plants, they will branch out and hit corners and door jams and break and twist. Silica is the way to go to strengthen the stems.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The moment you realize you've been doing something stupid... [Re: phychotron]
    #699407 - 12/16/13 12:51 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Did you flush with plain water?  A low ppm like I mentioned will help grab onto the built up salts and flush them out, much like clearex. 

I didn't catch that you were in coco, I do know how it works :wink:

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The moment you realize you've been doing something stupid... [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #699413 - 12/16/13 01:10 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Ya I know, I just can't put in the work, its exhausting just moving all the water around. I need to get some long hoses and just pump it to and from the bathroom. I was checking the ppms before the meter broke, they were down to 200 when they were running clear then I did a few more gallons.

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #699415 - 12/16/13 01:23 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

When I did DWC that's how I did it.  Jut had a big pimp and lots of tubing.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Trusted Cultivator
    #699421 - 12/16/13 02:17 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

"Big pimp"
:smilingpuppy:

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The moment you realize you've been doing something stupid... [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #699431 - 12/16/13 03:12 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Lol....fucking ipad

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #699529 - 12/16/13 10:57 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Day 72... seriously dissapointed this crop. All I would have needed was a $12 bottle of silica, now I have branches literally flopping over toward the ground. Now the main colas are starting to give in the center. I used House and Garden's Shooting powder and decided to go an extra long flower. I still don't know how i like it, it basically just forces the flowers to go into the budding stage early. They do look like nice tasty nuggets and the tricomes are very good, but I think the plant itself would be able to do that by this point--maybe sped it up a week or two. Its more obvious in the last photo--foxtails then fills in more.

The real problem started when I didn't have all the lights in the flower room because I was finishing up the last crop with a few of them, so you can see a lot more stretch than normal for this crop. Heavy buds on a thin long stalk is a bad combo. I was lazy on a lot of things and it shows.

I killed almost all my plants in veg for various reasons, over mixed the fungicide accidentally, heat, dropping, not watering, over-watering, etc. I have one small ggod left that I just turned into a mother plant. I plan on putting a lot more time into this next crop and doing it proper.

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #699535 - 12/16/13 11:13 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

My buds are always so big, each cola needs to be supported, silica doesn't do anything to make the stems actually support them.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #699564 - 12/17/13 07:14 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

It does for me, makes my stems rigid to the point that they don't bend or smash very easily... they tend to spring back in place when you move them around, whereas these are just flopping any which way and bending wherever they get tied.

--------------------

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: The moment you realize you've been doing something stupid... [Re: Hawksresurrection] * 1
    #699570 - 12/17/13 08:12 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
My buds are always so big, each cola needs to be supported.

You know the rules! 

:picdidnthappen:

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
silica doesn't do anything to make the stems actually support them.

I do have to disagree with you a little Hawk. It is well known that silica additives strengthen cell walls....which in turn creates thicker branches and stems.

Now I still have to stake up every plant in my garden when supplementing silica every feeding and watering. My plants will always fall over in flower if not heavily supported.

When I first started growing I didn't have silica in my feeding regimen and my plants would not only fall over, but some stems would snap under the weight of the colas. Once I started using a silica additive every feeding and watering the stems stopped breaking, but the plants still fell over.

Silica works great as a ph up as well. If you're using beneficial bacterias in your nutrient regimen its a good idea to trade in your generic ph up and use silica to increase ph instead. Regular ph up can kill up to 25% of the BB in your nutrient solution.

:vaped:

--------------------
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is" - ED Rosenthal

Maine Caregiver In 100% compliance with Maine state laws.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The moment you realize you've been doing something stupid... [Re: Farmer Joe]
    #699641 - 12/17/13 01:25 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

I have some tomato cages that I hacked the top ring off of for getting the light lower, and if I'd been able to use silica they would at least been able to tie them to the cage if needed.

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #699652 - 12/17/13 02:04 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

phychotron said:
I have some tomato cages that I hacked the top ring off of for getting the light lower, and if I'd been able to use silica they would at least been able to tie them to the cage if needed.

Just use bamboo sticks, they work great.

Joe, what I meant by that, is that I have never had plants, using or not using silica, that did not need help supporting the buds.  Silica does help build cell wall strength, and fight against harsh conditions.

I feel fans halp more with building stem strength much more so than silica though.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #699660 - 12/17/13 02:55 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

They work good but not great. I Got a shit ton of those I'm trying to phase out, they are everywhere and I trip over them and they tend to piss me off. Moving them around they get caught on stuff, or something catches on one of them like a power cord or something. Or they're too tall for the plant and light in the beginning, and when you add bamboo late in the game your stabbing through your roots. I don't like how sometimes you need a few of them to keep them the right direction. The cage is nice and rigid. The cage is the primary support, something to tie the bamboo to if needed. I have some bamboo in there right now but its only doing so much by itself, it needs to be tied to the cage for it to hold.

Oh, and the buds grow up against the bamboo and smash into it sometimes. Silica makes it so that you can tie on the branch without it bending at the tied spot, so you can tie to the stem and stabilize it without having the stick parallel to the buds. Bamboo is hard to use with the side branches that just need to be held up a little. The rings on the cage keep the tie in the same level and not slipping down the stake. You can avoid it by tying it better, but I like just going in there and giving it light twist on the wire to secure it so its easy to remove during harvest--usually able to pull off with little effort but enough to hold the plant up.

I also forgot the fan in the beginning, so this crop was messed up on multiple fronts.

--------------------

OfflineHime
Stranger

#699664 - 12/17/13 03:00 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

the title made me feel this was a decent place to post this...

on the topic of doing something stupid, I just found out, at least for this particular 250w, that you shouldn't plug the lamp cord into the ballast while the ballast is plugged into the wall... hopefully I didn't mess my light up. The light is bright but I have no first hand experience to compare to... does this look like a fully working 250w mh?

probably hard to tell with a photograph, some of the images of 250w's i've seen look much brighter but others look about the same. Probably thinking to much again but if anything this post may serve as a reminder to others :tongue:

light on the plant to the right definitely looking like it will receive less light, may need to squeeze a red spectrum cfl or two in. Got a little heat stressed too but not to bad. Smelling danky though and the leaves are looking really shiny/oily, makes me wonder if I could sustain my medical needs just vegging/trimming and making bubble hash or edibles.. and of course a yearly outdoor grow. :sun:

ps, great grow there phycho!

--------------------
Livin, learnin, takin it easy :willynilly:

Edited by Hime (12/17/13 03:02 PM)

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The moment you realize you've been doing something stupid... [Re: Hime]
    #699667 - 12/17/13 03:11 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

I've never ran a 250 watt, but it does look a little dim.  Could be normal though.

Phyco, I guess I don't care about stabbing through the roots.  It never has seemed to effect the plants in my grows.  I also don't really care about them growing around the bamboo, you can't really tell once harvested and dried.  But I also deal with 6 pounds or more at a time, and grow in 50 gallon containers.

--------------------

-niteowl

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The moment you realize you've been doing something stupid... [Re: Hime]
    #699668 - 12/17/13 03:13 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Also, that just doesn't look like nearly a big enough light for the space.  It would benefit you to place it in the middle of that tent, if possible.

--------------------

-niteowl

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom