Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecyclonicthunder
Stranger
How do I set up fluorescent light fixture?
    #694400 - 11/18/13 07:18 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

I decided to go with fluorescent bulbs that would go in a fixture, that I would set up on the bottom of a table using ceiling hooks and chain, then plugged into a surge protector. After finally matching up T8's with a fixture, I was ready to go home and plug it into a surge protector. Unfortunately, the salesman lied to me, and all the fixture contains is a bunch of wires.

I have no idea how to setup wiring here, is there anyway to plug this into a surge protector for power??

Edit: I am assuming that I match up the green, white, black wires with a pc power cord, and then electrical tape them safely (don't want to do anything dangerous, though)

Edited by cyclonicthunder (11/18/13 07:30 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How do I set up fluorescent light fixture? [Re: cyclonicthunder]
    #694401 - 11/18/13 07:29 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

You would need to wire it into a plug.  It's really not hard.  Just need to look up what your positive, negative, and ground wires are, then wire them into the appropriate places on a plug.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinecyclonicthunder
Stranger
Re: How do I set up fluorescent light fixture? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #694403 - 11/18/13 07:32 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
You would need to wire it into a plug.  It's really not hard.  Just need to look up what your positive, negative, and ground wires are, then wire them into the appropriate places on a plug.

Can I just wire it into a computer cord, and then plug that into the plug?

Wouldn't the plug be shooting out electricity?

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Trusted Cultivator
    #694404 - 11/18/13 07:33 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

I think those ones are meant to be wired into the wires that connect to the light switch.

I made the mistake of buying one a few weeks ago.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How do I set up fluorescent light fixture? [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #694405 - 11/18/13 07:40 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

How would the plug shoot out electricity?  That doesn't even make sense.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

#694411 - 11/18/13 08:08 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
How would the plug shoot out electricity?  That doesn't even make sense.

:rocketcrotch:

lol

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Trusted Cultivator
    #694413 - 11/18/13 08:09 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

By how the box i had it looked like  the wires connect to the switch or maybe it was the socket i dont really recall.
:shrug:

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How do I set up fluorescent light fixture? [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #694414 - 11/18/13 08:13 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

that was directed at OP

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinesveumy
seeker of enlightenment
Male User Gallery

Loc: its cold
    #694463 - 11/19/13 08:51 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

This can be wire either into a plug or a switch.  You will need something other then a pc cord.  Go to home depot again buy a 3prong extension cord, cut off the end you don't need (female end). Match the wires together ie. Green with green, white/white and so on wire nut the wires together tape it all with electrical tape.  Good to go.  Disclaimer I am no electrician so if you electrocute your self you are on your own.  I wire simple things like this all the time and have never had any issues.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How do I set up fluorescent light fixture? [Re: cyclonicthunder]
    #694489 - 11/19/13 11:30 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

For sure go with the 3 prong cord. Extension cords are usually cheaper than the actual replacement 3-prong cords they sell, but shop around. I get the 3-prong orange 10' extension cords for $5 at Ace Hardware, they're like $9 at other places (walmart included)

Three wires are not hard to deal with but they're made to be permanently installed so that your not moving around a bunch of connections that are just wire-nutted and taped together. Make sure that you make the connections strong so that they won't come apart when moving. Wire nuts are essential, then fold the wire and tape it to itself so that the join never has tension.

If you wanted to wire them all to one power cord then I would recommend getting a blue electrical junction box. That will house all your electrical connections and keep them safe. I would get the double wide (they make them up to 4-outlets wide)and then add a light switch to control all of them at once. Then just get a regular outlet faceplate with appropriate holes to make it look nice. No tape needed, but wire nuts are still required.

How many fixtures do you have? photo..?

http://www.familyhandyman.com/electrical/wiring/how-to-make-safe-wire-connections/view-all

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by phychotron (11/19/13 11:32 AM)

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How do I set up fluorescent light fixture? [Re: sveumy]
    #694490 - 11/19/13 11:31 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

There's no need to buy an extension cord and cut it.  They sell the plug itself ready to be wired in.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

#694569 - 11/19/13 06:43 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

:whathesaid:

Go to the hardware store and see they have everything .

Bud im  weird when it comes to my wiring I do it all my self . To paranoid to let someone else burn my house down.lol
Its not hard hand the lights were you need them . I took a jumper wire and hooked many t5 together on one switch.
Look up some shit on youtube if you have too before you burn shit  :tipofthecap:

OfflineRavener
Stranger
Re: How do I set up fluorescent light fixture? [Re: budgrowerwannabe]
    #695280 - 11/24/13 06:41 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Hi!

I had exactly the same situation with my first fluorescents, the fluoro ballast (4 footer) was made to be wired into the ceiling, not plugged in.  I swallowed my pride and asked a home depot guy how to do what you're describing...I had him cut a piece of the correct kind (ask them to be sure they know) of 3-strand bulk wire off their big spools and bought a 3 prong plug. 

Electrical work isn't super complicated, literally matching hot to hot, ground to ground, and the other color to the other color LOL.  Definitely use wire nuts like other posters have said, and definitely tape it up real nice.  Ultimately, constructing a plug was more expensive than the other poster's suggestion to cut one end off an extension cord and just wire in the 3 bare wires to your fluoro setup.

My next set of fluoros I made sure to get the ballasts that had their own cord included. The price was pretty much the same, well worth not having to do it yourself.  It's no biggie, I consider myself a pretty discerning shopper and it never occurred to me that there would be 2 different styles of the exact same lights with very similar boxes, right next to each other.  The ones with their own plugs also had a pull chain to turn them on and off while plugged in, which was nice.

Cheers!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale