Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
What brand of bulb.....
    #690248 - 10/22/13 07:50 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

... do you buy for your T-5 systems? I've never really looked into buying them because I think they are a waste of $$. BUT, it was $50 and I figured it couldn't hurt to have it to use...

--------------------
My best run so far

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.

Loc: Back in the USSR. Flag
Re: What brand of bulb..... [Re: Tank333]
    #690265 - 10/22/13 09:29 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

T-5's are no HPS's, but I hardly think they not worth money.  They are inexpensive, low wattage, don't add a super intrusive amount heat to the grow area and are great to dedicate to plants in the seedling phase and or rooting clones.

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: What brand of bulb..... [Re: hamloaf]
    #690274 - 10/22/13 10:34 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

The way I work, I would rather spend the $200 on a ballast and hood rather than a T-5 light fixture. I feel it is more versatile and and I can use it in more applications. I also refuse to buy a ballast that's not switchable, unless its way cheap. Lol

That's why until I found a brand new fixture for $50, it wasn't worth buying. Lol

--------------------
My best run so far

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #690277 - 10/22/13 11:24 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Paid $150 for a 4'x4, or $200 for a 4x8, well worth it as a veg light, some of the best veg growth you'll ever get is when you have a t5 right on top of the plants.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: What brand of bulb..... [Re: phychotron]
    #690296 - 10/23/13 09:10 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Better growth than a 1kw MH? :wink:

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.

#690302 - 10/23/13 10:13 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

You get more lumens out of a thousand watter, yea, but it's a whole hell of a lot more convienant on so many levels to veg plants under a T5 set up over a 1000 watt metal halide.  600 watt bulbs give you the best lumen to watt ratio outta all the lamps in the light kingdom and are better than 1000 watt lamps for both stages of growth, imo.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #690313 - 10/23/13 11:44 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I think its about as vigorous as you can get. In my 4x4' tent 1000 watts is way too much for plants that might take up the 1x1 area at first. 4'x4 @ 216 watts 3-5" from the top of the plants in 2x4' area works amazing. Little stretch and dense bushy canopy. It works best with topping/lst since the light is spread out. I'm trying to get rid of my T5 and find a good veg LED, but its hard giving it up since it works so well(I'm waiting for my bulbs to age.) I had a 4'x8 that was even better, but too bulky for me to use. I would probably get 2 of the 4'x4 to cover the 4'x4' area if I was going to veg with all T5, flowering in a 4x8' area. Maybe 3 if I wanted to veg for a long time and get them really bushy. Thats still only 650w.

My veg area is usually a construction zone, things get moved around, lights get turned off for a few minutes from time to time, I don't want to work around the HID. I have balance issues, so I can't have hot objects that would be grabbed onto in a stumble. Plug and play is worth the extra investment to me.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#690320 - 10/23/13 12:46 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

So, whether or not it is efficient isn't what I care to know today. I purchased a 4' 4-bulb unit and need to buy bulbs for it. What brand of bulbs do you guys buy? There were some in the sunlight supply mag for like $8 each, some for $12 and some were $16... its hard to not just buy the cheapest available. Lol.

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.

#690321 - 10/23/13 01:09 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Any of those choices will be fine.  What I would do is not worry about cost and go with the set of bulbs that have the most lumen output and the best customer reviews.

OfflineTomCollins

#690335 - 10/23/13 03:11 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Tank333 said:

Better for larger vegging operations I think. You can only fit so much right under a t5.

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What brand of bulb..... [Re: TomCollins]
    #690340 - 10/23/13 03:33 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

The bulbs came with the fixture, but I got some more, like 8 for $45 or something like that, cheapest T5-HO I could find on ebay. Had them for awhile, still rocking strong. its not on the whole time, but about two years now, one set of bulbs is starting to show some black on the ends, but the other sets are fine--I have one set of  red and two blue, and it will sometimes assist in flower, so all the bulbs get used from time to time.

--------------------

OfflineTomCollins

#690342 - 10/23/13 03:41 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

:cookiemonster:

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: What brand of bulb..... [Re: TomCollins]
    #690387 - 10/23/13 09:39 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

DonkeyDong69 said:
Quote:

Tank333 said:

Better for larger vegging operations I think. You can only fit so much right under a t5.

That is a great point. I very rarely have few plants in veg, so I need the spread of an HID... lol. Another reason I never wanted one before now. Lol

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.

#690406 - 10/24/13 07:39 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Tank333 said:
I also refuse to buy a ballast that's not switchable, unless its way cheap. Lol

I prefer to have non-switchable ballasts and two separate rooms with like a closet or something filled with T5's for rooting clones and the seedling phase.

:highfive:

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: What brand of bulb..... [Re: hamloaf]
    #690415 - 10/24/13 10:48 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

hamloaf said:
Quote:

Tank333 said:
I also refuse to buy a ballast that's not switchable, unless its way cheap. Lol

I prefer to have non-switchable ballasts and two separate rooms with like a closet or something filled with T5's for rooting clones and the seedling phase.

:highfive:

If I had two rooms the same size, I would use a flip-flopper to use the same ballasts in both rooms. I guess I could understand doing that if I had a much larger budget to work with in the beginning. But I've been on a shoestring budget from day one. I spent a buttload of cash on the Flo-n-grow system (a little over a grand), and then about $450 for two more lights (I already had one thouie), and a couple hundred on misc supplies. I spent my re-up money on equipment, hoping to be able to offset the expense after the first harvest. I did reach my goal, but shitty life circumstances since then has caused me to continually be on a very tight budget... only recently have I been able to buy extra equipment that was needed but not 100% necessary to run things. I partnered up with an old friend of mine who had saved up enough to be picking up several pounds at a time for his delivery service. We are now working on getting us into a house with a basement to start growing. He's the one who decided we should have the T-5 just incase we need or could use it somewhere...

--------------------
My best run so far

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds