Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHerbalPeace
Stranger

Little red worms that burrow around... can anyone ID?
    #679780 - 07/30/13 12:39 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Sorry, made need to retake the pics w/better lighting.

Images are damage from last year (several dried-out bodies of the creature in the middle). Don’t know if a fungus or bacterium played a part in any of it (and if so, perhaps it first required the damage from the worm to gain an entry), but there was a small red worm that liked to burrow around, especially at the base of buds I noticed while trimming & manicuring buds. Not too extensive overall, but still would like to get rid of nonetheless. Need to know my enemy to better combat it.

Did the following last year during flowering (after having done sulfur/pyrethrin spray during vegetative growth)… alternating spraying (so like a week apart, depending on rain) with homemade extract of tobacco & hot peppers, this and a diluted neem oil concentrate. Was planning on doing this again this year, but upping the strength of homemade one. Also thinking of adding add a little baking soda to it both for a little fungicide character and also because it seems (from what I’ve scanned over) that a basic pH for the nicotine will be more effective, but I admit I’m somewhat confused by what I’ve read.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHerbalPeace
Stranger

Re: Little red worms that burrow around... can anyone ID? [Re: HerbalPeace]
    #679988 - 07/31/13 06:32 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Maybe these will help. Jorge Cervantes' book doesn't have them in the pest & disease section, & the stuff from online forums through a Google search isn't very technical I'm finding. I need to get a book specific to insects and diseases of cannabis. I'll have to look into the one from Ed Rosenthal and one mentioned in Cervantes' book, that I think is more hemp-oriented, but would still probably be good for this. If someone knows of another one, feel free to recommend.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #679990 - 07/31/13 07:17 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

It probably not a Cannabis specific insect.  Never encountered anything like it though, wish I could help ya.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineHerbalPeace
Stranger

Re: Little red worms that burrow around... can anyone ID? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #680303 - 08/03/13 12:13 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, not finding anything technical on them, or much at all really. But what I'll do is up the conc of the (homemade tobacco & hot pepper extract) spray as last year they did find w/it, add some soda to it maybe that'll help a bit with insecticide properties as well, and make sure to start hitting them early before the buds get bigger and spray might not get down in where they dwell.

OfflineSam.Cee916
Amateur Tiger Expert
Male User Gallery

Loc: California Flag
    #680465 - 08/04/13 10:27 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Kinda looks by the stem like burrowing beetle larvae, just a guess, only worm like bugs we get are caterpillars, do you notice bulbous stems with rot around a whole? That kinda fits the burrowing beetle. Little ones burrow into the stem feed and crawl up destroying fluid circulation. Anyways that stem looks like a spot a beetle larvae may have emerged, I'm glad I'm not smokin ur stuff.

OfflineHerbalPeace
Stranger

Re: Little red worms that burrow around... can anyone ID? [Re: Sam.Cee916]
    #680666 - 08/06/13 05:57 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Looked up some images a bit, it may well be beetle larvae. Most of the material (buds) overall was undamaged (covered nicely with no crystals, no discoloration or spots of whatever), but some of them had this thing towards the base. However, the above portion of a bud often was unharmed, suggesting that it usually didn't interfere with fluid flow (so that hole in that stem may be unrelated.)

Everything was trimmed with a very close eye, very time-consuming, but all such contaminated portions were removed.

OfflineSam.Cee916
Amateur Tiger Expert
Male User Gallery

Loc: California Flag
    #684464 - 09/07/13 02:30 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah the stems are a give away especially if you look in the center and see tunnels that lead to damaged bulbous exits they are burrow beetles not doubt. not alot you cand do, other than check daily and where they go in u squeeze the stem to kill it inside, worded for me.

OfflineHerbalPeace
Stranger

Re: Little red worms that burrow around... can anyone ID? [Re: Sam.Cee916]
    #684476 - 09/07/13 09:54 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Ok. If you saw, I made another thread asking about Bt. For this year I found a concentrated bacteria solution at Lowes for just over $10 (been sitting on the shelf at room temp. for dk how long; I put it in the fridge). In addition to removing afflicted material, going to take the time to spray that as directly as I can on all the remaining buds 2 or 3 times the coming few weeks starting tomorrow (think it said safe to use up to day of harvest, but I'm gonna do last application at least a few days if not a week b4 harvest.)

Next year plan to incorporate this (a Bt product) into the spraying rotation starting pretty early on, and hopefully this will serve as a preventative measure. Also have picked a number the specimens out from the removed portions before discarding and made a little biome for them with a number of different plant species and parts (but not buds bc don't want them rotting in there) along with some moist perlite, to see what they progress into if they survive. If can be ID, then maybe can figure out some good cultural practices to keep them away in the future.

OfflineDancing_Bear
Registered+
Male

Loc: Your Mom’s House Flag
    #810527 - 04/12/16 07:37 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

RUN FOOL! THAT'S AN ALASKAN BULL WORM!

--------------------
Just Keep Truckin',
Seth :mushroom2:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals