Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemonkeyking
The Jacobin
 User Gallery

Loc: a van down by the river
Help curing bud
    #674493 - 06/14/13 11:44 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

I guess I'm still somewhat new to growing and so far I only have experience with auto-flowers.
Anyway, I have harvested 3 times so.
Initially the buds look good and my growing process seems to be working just fine.
The only significant problem which I have yet to remedy myself, comes with the curing process.
For starters after screen drying only 4days(minus a fan), my bud looks and feels as though it is "Too Dry".
Lastly when I attempted to moisten the first batch, via a single orange peel in the mason jar. It seems to have negatively affected not only the taste but also the smell. Making the bud smell and taste somewhat stale, like an old cigarette.
So my question is; should I even attempt to moisten it and if not how can I correct the dryness problem or does it simply correct itself after curing longer?
lol, of course I've moistened dry bud before without any negative effects, however after having a bad experience with my own bud I'm somewhat reluctant to attempt it again.
Advice please?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Help curing bud [Re: monkeyking]
    #674514 - 06/14/13 01:58 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Well you haven't told us how you're curing.

If you already over dried your bud, there's no really functional way get more moisture back into them.  You could try just a cotton ball.  But it seems like it never really works that well.

Your pretty much stuck with what you have. 

When I harvest I usually take them down before most people would.  You can always dry them more whole curing.  Its much more difficult to get more moisture back into them.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinemonkeyking
The Jacobin
 User Gallery

Loc: a van down by the river
Re: Help curing bud [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #674516 - 06/14/13 02:38 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

"Well you haven't told us how you're curing".

* 3 to 4 days hang dry in a dark closet without a fan blowing on them.
* then into mason jars where I burp them for about 2 weeks.

Though they already appear over-dried before reaching the jars.

I understand that I could simply decrease the dry-time.
Though all the stories about mold developing when bud is not fully dried, has basically scared me into going against my own better judgement.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Help curing bud [Re: monkeyking]
    #674526 - 06/14/13 03:57 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Dry the buds by hanging them up on the stems, not cutting them all off.
when they start to crisp up, use paper bags inside plastic bags to slow the drying--close the plastic to rehydrate the buds from the stems, then open it to dry some more, close it to rehydrate from the stems... and just keep doing that every few hours until the buds are close to snapping off the main stem (some will, some will not.) It takes about 4-14 days depending on conditions. The more stem material the slower the buds will dry... this is a good thing.

Take the loose buds and put them in paper bags inside plastic for another day or so to make sure the process is done... weigh and jar up. check the next few days to make sure there is not significant moisture.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflinePoloDown
Stranger Danger

#674527 - 06/14/13 03:58 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Well you haven't told us how you're curing.

If you already over dried your bud, there's no really functional way get more moisture back into them.  You could try just a cotton ball.  But it seems like it never really works that well.

Your pretty much stuck with what you have. 

When I harvest I usually take them down before most people would.  You can always dry them more whole curing.  Its much more difficult to get more moisture back into them.

I have tried the cotton ball trick and it works to an extent.  You wrap it in tin foil and poke some small holes and let it go into the jar.  THey'll get moist real fast so you have to be careful but they also continue to hold the moisture as well if you dont burp for too long, but eventually it drys up again so thats the whole "to an extent" part.

I also take my down a little sooner then usual.  I wait until the buds are crispy but the stems aren't snapping off so they still have a little moisture.  So far it works and I havent had any mold, just nice moistured buds that are dry enough to smoke and roll up.

Waiting until you can snap the stems off instead of bending them has resulted in more over dry buds then not from my experience, which is when I used the cotton ball trick.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Help curing bud [Re: PoloDown]
    #674528 - 06/14/13 04:00 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

And I just use turkey bags.  And open em every few days to let them breathe.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineLost Shroomerite
eruditio
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Wrong place, wrong time.
    #674541 - 06/14/13 06:54 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
And open em every few days to let them breathe.

How long do you usually let them breath?

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Help curing bud [Re: Lost Shroomerite]
    #674542 - 06/14/13 07:44 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

I just open em up, shake em around a bit and close again.  But with Turkey bags, I don't have them one hundred percent sealed off.

--------------------

-niteowl

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom