Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

Loc: Colorado Flag
Good article about curing bud by Kyle Kushman * 2
    #690912 - 10/27/13 08:40 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

i wanted to share this article about curing that Kyle Kushman wrote. i'm not new to growing but i'm not a pro. i have a couple grows under my belt but i'm definitely new to curing. i've never gotten it right... anyway, i just harvested my first crop last week (first since i moved out to colorado) so i've been watching all kinds of youtube videos about curing, and then reran across this article. i had to read it over a couple times before it all made sense. but it gave me a different perspective on curing, and i think made me understand it a lot better. i felt like sharing. hopefully it helps someone else. curing is tricky. definitely not something you want to fuck up.

http://medicalmarijuana.com/kyle-kushman/curing-marijuana

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Good article about curing bud by Kyle Kushman [Re: CrushNazT]
    #690945 - 10/28/13 10:57 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.  It can definitely be frustrating attempting to hit just the right balance of moisture remaining in the buds before placing them into jars, as it seems that there is a pretty small window to work with, especially amidst a hot California summer :tongue2::spliff:.

Sure, getting something smokable is easy, but there really does seem to be a steep benefit to getting the cure spot on.  The tip about using several jars and smell testing for ammonia appears to be a practical way to experiment with just that, although I cannot speak from experience.  The takeaway from the above article is as follows:

Quote:

The best way to learn is to jar a half dozen or more jars of the same size, at the same time. Date the jar, and in a week crack it open.

Catch the first whiff off the jar as you break the suction created by the curing gases. If you smell the slightest whiff of ammonia, you left too much moisture in the buds and this curing attempt is done. Remove  all the buds from the jars and dry them out completely. If however when you crack the jar, you smell sweet heavenly ganja, then close it up. Repeat the process in a week to check the progress of your cure. If you’ve kept the jars closed for a full two weeks and the odor is 100% free of any ammonia smell, your probably home free.

--------------------
Do Your Part!

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #691052 - 10/29/13 06:12 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Great read--simple yet informative.

I just happened to have the right temp/humidity for drying this last harvest and was able to jar them at just the right moisture level for that perfect cure. It makes a huge difference in how it feels, smells, smokes and tastes.

It is a bit of a challenge to get them to dry slow enough and jar them just right when they need it. Most of the problem is the humidity fluctuates too much for a consistent all year round perfect dry time. Not just the dry time, but the way it dries changes--drawing the water out of the buds and stems in a nice even pace seems to make them not so crispy on the outside and moist stem on the center. The outside never fully re-hydrates to get that moisture content you need.

Thats why I usually use paper bags inside the plastic trash bags, to slow the dry time and let the moisture go through the leaf. I've considered building a drying chamber for that perfect slow dry, but thats a ways out.

I use these I-Chem amber chemical storage jars and just keep them organized in the box; I put some Velcro on it to keep the flaps down. Its nice having a 12 pack of ounces. They've got a really good durable teflon seal on the lids, not just your average foam gasket. The lid is a little narrow (1 3/4"), but most buds fit through. I'd recommend the 950ml size for ounces--they are about perfect. They also make the 1250ml but I think that would be a bit too big for an ounce. I have a few 500ml but they hold between a half to one ounce, depending on the bud. They're good for having around though, when you get those random bits of buds. I have one 2.5L jar with a larger lid that I put the top cola's in, it holds about 3 ounces. Those are pretty expensive, but I'd like to get more.

The I-Chem jars come in 3 grades. Grade one and two are expensive because they have been inspected and certified, grade 3 is the exact same jar and lid, but no one has inspected it to guarantee it will hold up in the lab.

My brother got some Herb Preserve jars. I thought they were overpriced for curing, but they do block out all the light, barely able to see through a bright flashlight through one layer of the glass. Better for a small stash of some dank.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Invisiblesattvabodhi
Stoney Stranger
Male

Loc: Manitou Springs, Colorado Flag
    #691078 - 10/30/13 01:38 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the share man. This was an awesome read!

--------------------
All who wonder are not lost.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies