Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Sun Screen
    #673825 - 06/07/13 01:34 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

I'm going to order some screen for the top of the greenhouse/tent frame to block the high noon sun on an outdoor grow. I was wondering what the best % shade is? I'm looking at 50%, but thinking 30% might also do. Anyone know what works best for the pacific northwest?

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sun Screen [Re: phychotron]
    #673826 - 06/07/13 02:00 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

I just always see people use clear/translucent polyvinyl.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sun Screen [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #673827 - 06/07/13 02:24 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

If you look at the actual greenhouse poly its not entirely clear. I could have gone that route, but want the open air design. Plus the screen is reusable, plastic turns to garbage quickly. . My brother has the same sized frame next to mine and he's going to use a blue tarp.  I just ordered the 50%, it seems like a good amount.

had the plants outside in 5 gallon pots and someone hopped the back fence and jacked one in the early morning. They are sweet Romulan X Alaskan Thunder Fuck, been vegging them for 2 months now, topping and branching them out. Whoever flowers that bitch is getting hooked up. Had 8 to perfectly fill out the greenhouse, but now its missing a spot. Got them in the ground right now, 10x20.

Were going to be camping out there once the buds start showing up. rigging the area with trip wire and alarms and all kinds of stuff. Someone, probably the same guy went into his house a few weeks ago and topped the plants, my mom caught the guy and he ran out another door that was all taped up. Almost got all his tops. My brother had opened a back door in the room next to the garden room because he flooded it, someone must have been watching the house and waiting for the opportunity.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #673828 - 06/07/13 02:44 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

That's why I put "translucent", I know they're not perfectly clear.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineCanna-Bliss
The man in the back
 User Gallery

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Re: Sun Screen [Re: Hawksresurrection] * 3
    #673836 - 06/07/13 04:52 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Actually you said "...clear/translucent..."

Nice one - you can sound like a know-it-all and yet be in contradiction to yourself at the same time...

Anywho... I live in a temperate zone 9, and our mid-day sun is totally brutal, so I opted for material that hindered the sun as much as possible....... where are you at / what kind of peak heat & humidity levels are you dealing with?

Here's what mine looks like if that helps (I don't remember the various grades, like 30%, 50%, etc...):

--------------------
"Do you hear of fear or... do I smash the mirror?"

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sun Screen [Re: Canna-Bliss]
    #673845 - 06/07/13 08:34 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

not sure the exact levels,  but its looking like zone 7/8

--------------------

Edited by phychotron (06/07/13 08:43 PM)

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sun Screen [Re: Canna-Bliss]
    #673875 - 06/08/13 01:01 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Canna-Bliss said:
Actually you said "...clear/translucent..."

Nice one - you can sound like a know-it-all and yet be in contradiction to yourself at the same time...

Anywho... I live in a temperate zone 9, and our mid-day sun is totally brutal, so I opted for material that hindered the sun as much as possible....... where are you at / what kind of peak heat & humidity levels are you dealing with?

Here's what mine looks like if that helps (I don't remember the various grades, like 30%, 50%, etc...):

Are you dense or something?  Me stating that I put translucent in there was exactly the point, that you can use either one.  In the area I live in people will use clear because we get a lot of cloudy days.  It's not being contradictory at all.

You come off as a straight ass though :cookiemonster:

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #673901 - 06/08/13 06:23 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

alright children, knock it off...

I just wanted to clarify because I was looking at the film at home depot the other day and was wondering if that would be the same stuff or if its not what I wanted. It says clear, but by the time its 6mil its usually not, but I'm still not sure if the greenhouse film is different in some way.

$75 for one 12x20 50% shade screen. I was going to get the edges sewn together and grommets and such, but that was another $75. If I keep using the stuff maybe I'll invest in a complete one and get the grommets laid out properly.

--------------------

OfflineCanna-Bliss
The man in the back
 User Gallery

#673926 - 06/09/13 04:53 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Hawk,

in your mind, is your response to the initial question a "point" you made?

"Me stating that I put translucent in there was exactly the point, that you can use either one..."

That is not even applicable to what he asked... he wanted an opinion on what specific type would be better for his climate.

Your response was you saying that you see people using different types of it, and thats it. 

How is that useful?  Thats like someone asking "should I buy a pepsi, or a coke,"  and you saying "I've seen people drinking soda before."

I may be an asshole... but believing that vague, useless, one line responses like yours are actually helpful points is, "dense..." one might say.

Nobody who spends as much time as you, on a nearly vacant forum, has a brain.  I totally get wanting to help people, and getting help in return at times is an awesome thing.... but you clearly just can't handle being challenged to truly edify.

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sun Screen [Re: Canna-Bliss] * 1
    #673943 - 06/09/13 12:54 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Not at all buddy, just calling an ass when I see one.  It wasn't meant to answer his question completely.  I don't grow outside, so wasn't going to give specific instruction.

The fact of the matter is that all the outdoor growers I know don't pay attention to the exact filtering of the plastic they put up.  And considering how much they grow, and how long they've been doing it, seems like it doesn't matter much. 

And if you think I don't have much of a brain, you don't really have to stick around or comment on my advice. 

Also, put up or shut up man.  Instead of just signing in getting a whole 20 posts, and then go straight to insulting people, maybe you should help out.  This leads me to believe that you're really just a troll.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Trusted Cultivator
    #674090 - 06/10/13 12:03 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

:popcorn:

OfflineCanna-Bliss
The man in the back
 User Gallery

Re: Sun Screen [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #674403 - 06/13/13 04:25 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

I'm not a troll... I just don't think people should respond to questions they can't answer...

I post less - and I have less bullshit that answers nothing to show for it.  You could have said nothing and there would have been no difference... other than less crap like this.

You can have a rebuttal, but it will be the closing argument.  Nobody cares... we're not helping right now, and that seems hypocritical on both our parts.

Prosecution rests.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies