Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejackillington
Stranger
are rented houses sketchy?
    #662098 - 03/13/13 12:48 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

My friends and I are in college. We are renting out a house for next school year. Together, super baked of course, we decided that it would be economically more efficient to grow our own weed rather then to buy it (logic).
    Now I'm not sure if that is actually true, but I've been doing a lot of research and I'm excited to try to home grow! the only problem is the rented house. we don't know if the owner (it's privately owned) will want to look around ever. I'm not really sure how renting houses work considering I'm still a freshman in college.

to shorten, has anyone grown weed in a rented house, and if so could you give me some helpful insight.

Your Friend in the herb,
JDH

--------------------
Your friend in the herb,
JDH

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: are rented houses sketchy? [Re: jackillington]
    #662099 - 03/13/13 12:55 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

I've been growing in rented houses for the past 8 years.  You just have to be picky about who you select as a landlord.  My landlord lives a block and a half away from me, never bothers me.  I pay the rent on time, keep the yard cleaned up, and am always friendly with them. 

Most private owners wont do walkthroughs, the agencies will though.  Most landlords let you know if they do annual walkthroughs as well.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: are rented houses sketchy? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #662111 - 03/13/13 08:25 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, bottom line is that you've gotta take a lot more precautions in a rental.  Does the landlord stop by? How much notice do they give (legally they only have to give you 24 hours in most markets)? Are there issues with the house that will require maintenance visits (plumbing, electrical, heat/air)?  Can you quickly break down your grow if you need to?
Always have contingency plans if you're growing in a rental.
As Gene Hackman says in the movie Heist:

MOORE
          Y'ever cheat on a woman?
              (PAUSE)
          Your girl, something...
              (PAUSE)
          Stand her up?
                      BELLA
          ...what...?
                      MOORE
          D'you ever do that?
BELLA
Yeah.
MOORE
When you called her up, d'you have an excuse?

BELLA
Yeah.
                      MOORE
          What is she didn't ask?  What was your
          alibi, a waste of time?
BEAT.  MOORE WALKS AWAY.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

OfflineMaestro
Strange
Loc: Kiev, Ukraine
Re: are rented houses sketchy? [Re: 81renaissance]
    #662122 - 03/13/13 08:56 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Try to find a landlord who likes to get cash. Even if he finds out, he won't call pigs cause he's breaking the law too.

My landlord makes bootleg DVDs lol

--------------------
I am Thread Killer.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: are rented houses sketchy? [Re: Maestro]
    #662183 - 03/13/13 01:13 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Receiving cash is breaking the law?

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineMaestro
Strange
Loc: Kiev, Ukraine
    #662186 - 03/13/13 01:22 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

I meant like off the books. From owner

Over here most landlords want check or money order.

--------------------
I am Thread Killer.

Offlinejackillington
Stranger
    #662188 - 03/13/13 01:26 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Wow guys thank you for your helpful insight. I'm so glad my friend pointed me out to this website. This will be very beneficial throughout my grow.

Thanks again

--------------------
Your friend in the herb,
JDH

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

Re: are rented houses sketchy? [Re: Maestro]
    #662211 - 03/13/13 04:06 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Maestro said:
I meant like off the books. From owner

Over here most landlords want check or money order.

well just because a land lord likes to be paid in cash does not mean anything or does not mean he is more likely to be breaking the law. I own rental property and I prefer my renters to pay cash so there is no bull shit of check bouncing on me. and its not off the books it just goes right into the checking account.

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

#662214 - 03/13/13 04:09 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

jackillington said:
My friends and I are in college. We are renting out a house for next school year. Together, super baked of course, we decided that it would be economically more efficient to grow our own weed rather then to buy it (logic).
    Now I'm not sure if that is actually true, but I've been doing a lot of research and I'm excited to try to home grow! the only problem is the rented house. we don't know if the owner (it's privately owned) will want to look around ever. I'm not really sure how renting houses work considering I'm still a freshman in college.

to shorten, has anyone grown weed in a rented house, and if so could you give me some helpful insight.

Your Friend in the herb,
JDH

by law the land lord has to give you a notice. In my state I have to give my renters 48 hour notice. If you are going to grow I would say do it in a closet cause from a landlord perspective I myself would more then likely not even bother looking in the closet just be more looking around in the bedrooms/living room/ kitchen and bathroom to make sure the walls are not damage, the rugs are not torn up or burned and that the cabinets/doors are not hanging off hinges or ripped off and stuff like that.

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
    #662218 - 03/13/13 04:15 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Just be sure you keep the smell under control. A lot of people underestimate how strong it will be and by the time it start wreaking of pot the plants are on their way to completion, you don't want to just trash them, and they are a size where they aren't easily movable in a lot of cases.

Welcome, and start up a grow log :thumbup:

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: are rented houses sketchy? [Re: mhbound]
    #662244 - 03/13/13 08:11 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah man, it never hurts to go overkill with the carbon filter! :kenthumbup:

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

Offlinesveumy
seeker of enlightenment
Male User Gallery

Loc: its cold
    #665340 - 04/08/13 04:03 PM (11 years, 13 days ago)

Get a carbon filter rated for two or three times the room you are using.  If possible lock the door to the grow room at all times.  I installed a two way dead bolt and only I have keys.  Tell no one.(instruct your roommate to do the same). Always pay your rent on time no matter what, be friendly to the land lord.  Just don't give them a reason to be suspicious.  I don't think I would hold any house parties while you have plants in.  Draws attention from LEO's, landlords, and people ask questions.  Good luck and welcome.

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: are rented houses sketchy? [Re: sveumy]
    #665387 - 04/08/13 11:43 PM (11 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

sveumy said:
  Tell no one.(instruct your roommate to do the same).

This is the ONE HARD AND FAST RULE. Nobody can know. Even people you trust. Because they also trust people, and will tell people, even if they are told not to, because there are people that they trust. 
Somewhere along the line, someone who finds about the grow decides to report you because a) they feel that what you are doing is wrong, or b) they are worried about you and believe that turning you in will "save" you. OR, someone finds out and decides to jack your plants.
I cannot stress enough how important this is.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Offlineaashte
Mr.Dick
Male

Loc: Dazed and mostly Confused Flag
    #667531 - 04/25/13 12:21 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Hello i would say the fact you R asking the question is an answer itself. my opinion is agreement with much of what has been posted above. You know the best way to keep a secret? Tell no one secret stays safe!!! Firsthand experience with my first grow(72) plants by my self and my ol' lady. All worked out with my cannabis till friends realized I had actually done it. Now I have no friends and almost cost me my family and ol' lady.Wanted to know I could do it never expected to succeed. Well i was constantly told that. Anyway I say a question is free most times,Mistakes can take a lifetime and still not be fixed. But it is also how we learn.

--------------------
"A warrior nurses from the bosom of the tribe and thus has an affination to those whom have come before him he owes them his honor and respect," Dick Garcia 04/12//2013

Edited by aashte (04/25/13 12:22 PM)

Offlinejoshisstoned
strange
Male

Loc: Akron
Re: are rented houses sketchy? [Re: aashte]
    #671153 - 05/17/13 11:16 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

I personally wouldn't grow in a house I owned since asset forfeiture is so prevalent.

--------------------
Give me the bat wendy!

Offlineeyedea
kickin' it to the licks
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Lost & Found
Re: are rented houses sketchy? [Re: joshisstoned]
    #671898 - 05/20/13 06:29 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

joshisstoned said:
I personally wouldn't grow in a house I owned since asset forfeiture is so prevalent.

--------------------
you can kill a man, but not his eyedeas

Shroomery

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom