Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemadnessinc
Stranger
Soon to be a first timer...
    #664199 - 03/30/13 03:40 AM (11 years, 1 day ago)

So I've decided that its high time that I start growing, punny huh?
I've decided that hydro is what I want to start with, but before I go out and spend money or even more precious time, doing it the wrong way, I had better ask of the more experienced peeps out there some advice.

What threads are a good read to learn more than I think I know, lol.
Should I DYI it, or shell out the cash for something like BC Northern lights (take out spaces add a .com and see producer)?  (I know I could build something cheaper, but better than touch screen, self contained, and controlled??)
What's a good starter strain? I prefer light body, but good heady.
Give me the links, and I'll be happy to do the reading.
It's just for me, so small is good, but stealth/security is a must.

Thanks and have a good one.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Soon to be a first timer... (moved) [Re: madnessinc]
    #664534 - 04/01/13 11:36 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

This thread was moved from Hydroponic & Agroponics.

Reason:
More views here.

OfflineMaestro
Strange
Loc: Kiev, Ukraine
Re: Soon to be a first timer... (moved) [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #664540 - 04/01/13 12:06 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Mostly everything depends on how much you want to harvest. I know you want as much as possible-.- but be realistic. Also how much space do you have?

The most usefull thing to do if you don't know Anything yet, is to go to the Growery main site. Go to the cultivation section, and read all the little chapters. This will provide a good base, and then you just search the questions that you have left (search the forums, not the site)after. And if the search doesn't provide enough info, start a thread about it.

--------------------
I am Thread Killer.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #664562 - 04/01/13 02:23 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

I think every beginner needs to read an actual book. The posts and main site are great, but theres something missing to the guides when they're not actually published. You'll pick up a thing or two from this book, its been around for awhile. Good to go over it completely once or twice.

I'd skip the marijuana specific books at first just because they can be overly simple or overly complicated when you just need to learn what and why. Without all the little added tricks or logic-prejudice. Like my brother was telling me about something that Jorge Cervantes said about lighting. Saying that one 1000w was better than two 600w's, carrying on as if its the only way you should go, only to find out somewhere else in the book that his logic for saying that was the starting equipment costs.

Start with a few bag seeds if you've got laying around, but anything you order will usually be pretty good quality.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Soon to be a first timer... (moved) [Re: phychotron]
    #664563 - 04/01/13 02:41 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

"Saying that one 1000w was better than two 600w's, carrying on as if its the only way you should go, only to find out somewhere else in the book that his logic for saying that was the starting equipment costs. "

Did you actually read it?  Cause that wasn't his reasoning whatsoever.  But you made a lot of good point there man.  I say read both books :cookiemonster:

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #664573 - 04/01/13 04:49 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

I haven't read that book in a very long time, its his older one from ~2000, his newer book might be better suited for print, but the earlier one is misleading and confusing for entry level growers. Logic or not, contradictory information tends to be confusing. That book is essentially a rip off of the Van Patten book, with some cannabis specific information.

My brother lost his copy and took mine--cant get good bud to save his life. He keeps doing too much stuff thinking it will turn out even better. You cant apply the icing until you know how to bake the cake.

Definitely read both books, but wait until you get some plant experience before you read about how to do things specific for these plants, otherwise you tend to loose the basics in the flood of information.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #664577 - 04/01/13 05:06 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Crazy, looking up stuff about the book it appears Cervantes IS Van Patten, one name for cannabis, the other for non.... Which explains why I thought Cervantes ripped off the Van Patten book :lol: I have wanted to see the newest Cervantes book but still think the Van Patten book would better suited for beginners, just because its all the basics, and when you re-read them in the cannabis specific book you'll be able to absorb more of the canna-specific info better. That's just how learning works in general. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_Cervantes

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #664578 - 04/01/13 05:06 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

The more ya know :cookiemonster:

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinemadnessinc
Stranger
Re: Soon to be a first timer... (moved) [Re: Maestro]
    #664613 - 04/01/13 10:46 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

well the pre made box (The Bloombox) from Bc Northern Lights, is a 54"w x 51"h x28"d box. Supposed to support up to 1 mother in a top side chamber, 12 clones in second bottom side chamber, and 9 flowering plants in the main chamber. It says up to 1 lbs every 6-8 weeks, but I'm not planning on filling it up, that's just WAY more than I need for my personal use. I'd be happy with a half that. I more interested in quality then quantity, ya know?

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #664616 - 04/01/13 10:50 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

They lie, they're trying to sell a product.  If you don't know what you're doing you are not going to get that.  It's be much cheaper to build your own shit.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinemadnessinc
Stranger
    #664621 - 04/02/13 12:00 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

i figured their numbers were inflated a bit, ok, can you or anyone provide any links or resources to building my own lil growing chamber. I'm needing stealth and security. Dont have a lot of space to work with, that box's dimensions fit nicely in my closet.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #664622 - 04/02/13 12:06 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Well it really just takes a bit of research.  You need to do some reading and research to fit an automated grow system inside a specific space.  This isn't something that's going to be laid out for you.

--------------------

-niteowl

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals