Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDamion5050
Perscribing Mushrooms Is Fun
Male

Quick light ?
    #655724 - 01/20/13 08:35 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Don't mean to double post but I originally put this under grow room design, not sure if that was right. The point is I have a 2x4 grow tent. The purpose of which is for a mother and 4-8 clones at max. I am wondering if I should go with a 250 cfl a 250 mh or a 6 or 8 bulb T5 setup. This will be my veg area basically. I will have a 4x4 grow tent for flowering with a 1000watt hps. Wasnt sure if I should just veg in the 2x4 for a while then go to veg in the 4x4 under the 1000 after switching the bulb to mh. Or do you think they will get to sufficient size in the 2x4 area.

I'm going to start with 5 gallon hempys then down the line when my feet are more wet and experienced I will be doing RDWC.

THANKS IN ADVANCE !!!!

--------------------
AMU - Q&A
MY GROW LOG
MY ELEMENTARY COIR TEK
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO CULTIVATE MUSHROOMS

Live well, laugh often, love much.  --  Stand up for what you believe in, even if it means standing alone.  --  Dont follow the beaten path. Go your own way and leave a trail.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMaestro
Strange
Loc: Kiev, Ukraine
Re: Quick light ? [Re: Damion5050]
    #655727 - 01/20/13 09:42 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

50 watts per sq ft.

2 x 4 = 8sq ft. 8 x 50 = 400 watts.

As for what type of lighting, out of those three options it's hands down mh.

--------------------
I am Thread Killer.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #655729 - 01/20/13 09:48 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

A t5-HO 4x4 on ebay is $150 (don't get a used one, otherwise you'll get used bulbs) and they work great for veg. It will will cover a 2x4 area perfectly.  54w each bulb = 216w. I'm not sure if the 6 will fit, but I know the 8 wont. 

I'll be getting rid of mine eventually when I get a good all blue veg LED. For you I figure two 90-120w (using 50-80w each, 1 fixture doesn't have the correct footprint) would cover a 2x4 area well and can be had for ~$200-300 on a budget(all blue not is needed either). You don't need a super bad ass LED for veg, thats just for flowering. Price wise it's just a little bit more, but you don't have to replace bulbs. After the first or second set of bulbs you'd spend about the same for an LED that's suppose to last 50,000 hours before degrading in quality.

My plants seem to grow faster under LED than with the T5's as well. I Skipped HID all together, so I don't know how that compares.

If your going to buy LED, let me know before you buy it though, cause 99% of the fixtures on the market are cheaply made, don't listen to their claims about anything. I'll let you know if I think it would be worth it.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineDamion5050
Male

Re: Quick light ? [Re: phychotron]
    #655730 - 01/20/13 09:55 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Well the whole reasoning behind this is saving money in electricity during veg cause I'm in a small apartment which on average runs like 60 a month and I don't want the bill to spike so much cause it will already spike using the 1000watt hps during flowering. So during veg the light being on 18-24 hours I want to save as much energy as I can but still get good growth. Trying to produce the best and biggest buds I can within reason when it comes to the electric bill. If I lived in a bigger place I would do 1000watt mh for veg but my bill would spike way to hi.

On a side note cost of lighting is not a matter so I can go with any setup. I just want what will treat my mother and clones in veg the best without spiking the electric bill

--------------------
AMU - Q&A
MY GROW LOG
MY ELEMENTARY COIR TEK

Live well, laugh often, love much.  --  Stand up for what you believe in, even if it means standing alone.  --  Dont follow the beaten path. Go your own way and leave a trail.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #655735 - 01/20/13 10:14 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

well the t5 4x4 will work and do excellent growth. With the LED option you can turn one off when need be, whereas the 4x4 is not well suited as a mother keeper.  I know two UFO's would cover it (each 24" circle) but 3 would make sure you had that extra power. You can always buy another if two isn't cutting it. How big are you trying to veg these?

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineDamion5050
Male

#655736 - 01/20/13 10:18 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Maybe 24-30ish inches before introducing them into flowering. I just need low energy consumption basically best lumen output with low energy consumption no purchase cost regards

--------------------
AMU - Q&A
MY GROW LOG
MY ELEMENTARY COIR TEK

OfflineJavadog
Stranger

#655737 - 01/20/13 10:26 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Hey Damion,

Good to see you here.

phychotron's cfl idea was very good for mothers in a box that size.

I am thinking that you will want to move clones to something with
more light for stronger vegging, or if you plan a short veg cycle.

I am really just getting started, but am getting very nice results
from my first serious effort.

Good luck bro,

JD

P.S. Slow reply.  It really does sound P's idea is at or near optimal.

Edited by Javadog (01/20/13 10:27 PM)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #655738 - 01/20/13 10:34 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

LED is the way to go in my opinion. Multiple fixtures so you can cut back power draw. I'm a fan of the Advanced LED lights, I know those work, and the Diamond Series has 2 switches so you can really cut down to minimum when not using them. My internet cuts out around this time every night, I can barely load web pages, otherwise I'd tell you which one's I'd pick.

One 100w DS for the mother, which you could probably use half power on if its small enough, then maybe a larger or all blue fixture, or more of the same (chain the power) for the clones.

--------------------

OfflineDamion5050
Male

Re: Quick light ? [Re: Javadog]
    #655739 - 01/20/13 10:36 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Hey java it's good to be here. See the problem is like I said the spiking electric. The other is space. I'm no longer in my house, wife and I split so I am in an apartment. It's like a front and back unit. So I only have one person in the front unit. But my area is limited my mom and veg area will be 2x4 tent stashed in a closet in master bedroom and my flowering will be 4x4 also in master bedroom tucked in the corner. So I'm working with limited space. So I would like my mothers and clones to stay together cause I don't have space for a mother and a veg area and a flowering afea

--------------------
AMU - Q&A
MY GROW LOG
MY ELEMENTARY COIR TEK

OfflineDamion5050
Male

#655740 - 01/20/13 10:37 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

phychotron said:
LED is the way to go in my opinion. Multiple fixtures so you can cut back power draw. I'm a fan of the Advanced LED lights, I know those work, and the Diamond Series has 2 switches so you can really cut down to minimum when not using them. My internet cuts out around this time every night, I can barely load web pages, otherwise I'd tell you which one's I'd pick.

One 100w DS for the mother, which you could probably use half power on if its small enough, then maybe a larger or all blue fixture, or more of the same (chain the power) for the clones.

Do you happen to have links for these LEDs ??

--------------------
AMU - Q&A
MY GROW LOG
MY ELEMENTARY COIR TEK

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #655743 - 01/20/13 10:46 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

http://www.advancedledlights.com/categories/3W-LED-Grow-Lights/

They're going to be more expensive than what I was talking about earlier, but you'll also be able to flower with the Diamond Series. The Extreme Flower is the older models, but still work well. The newest is the Diamond Series XML, which is dimable. They just had a sale on where they threw in a free red spot light with certain models, maybe see if they can extend that with free shipping as well.

--------------------

Edited by phychotron (01/20/13 10:47 PM)

OfflineDamion5050
Male

#655746 - 01/20/13 10:55 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Looking at the link what would be best the NEW - Diamond Series LEDs - Extreme 3w LED Technology In 2 4 or 600 watt and how many would I need ? Or the NEW - All Blue Extreme Veg LED - USA Made LEDs in 180 360 or 720 watt and also how many would I have to purchase ?? Cause leds are like French to me I don't get it lol

--------------------
AMU - Q&A
MY GROW LOG
MY ELEMENTARY COIR TEK

OfflineDamion5050
Male

#655747 - 01/20/13 10:58 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

And I mean really all I need is for veg I have 1000 watt hps for flowering

--------------------
AMU - Q&A
MY GROW LOG
MY ELEMENTARY COIR TEK

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #655748 - 01/20/13 10:58 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

So my internet is coming back, I'm thinking the 180w all blue for $379 and a 100w DS for $295 for $674. The free red spotlight was for other lights, but you should tell them to toss one in since your spending so much.

heres the email:
Quote:

Tax Return Day Sale

Free Shipping
From now until Monday January 21st at Midnight our newsletter subscribers get these exclusive savings:

+ Discounts on all lights
+ Free Shipping*
+ Free Rope Ratchet*
+ A Free SpectraBoost Spotlight*

USE COUPON CODE: "TAXRETURN"

Save up to $70 on Diamond Series XML LEDs!

DS XML 

*Receive a FREE All Red Spot Light with a purchase of one of these products: DS XML 350.

Save up to $140 on Diamond Series LEDs!

*Receive a FREE All Red Spot Light with a purchase of one of these products: DS400, DS600, and DS800.

Save up to $154 OFF Extreme Flower LEDs!

*Receive a FREE All Red Spot Light with a purchase of one of these products: 360watt EF and 740watt EF!

Save up to $112.00 OFF 740watt Extreme VEG LEDs!

*Receive a FREE All Red Spot Light with a purchase of one of these products: 740watt EV!

*Call our Knowledgeable STAFF for additional discounts on the 740watt Extreme All Blue Vegetative Lights, which is comparable to the 1000HPS Veg Cycle!

Offer only valid until January 21, 2013 at Midnight.  The Free SpectraBoost Spotlight is only available on the lights listed in this email.

FREE Shipping is only for Domestic Orders Only.
Call our knowledgeable staff at 1-800-401-6307.

Sincerely,

AdvancedLEDLights.com

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #655749 - 01/20/13 11:00 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Oh, and if you don't like their lights they have a no questions asked 90 day full $ refund.

--------------------

OfflineDamion5050
Male

#655751 - 01/20/13 11:15 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Ok so one of each should cover my lighting then for my clones and mothers. So should I place the ds over the mom and all blue over clones or doesn't it really matter in the 2x4 area. And i got a hypothetical question for you. Let's just say i got rid of my hps and bought led for flowering Would I want to go with the DS800 or the 740 extreme flowering. I mean the 800 has more watts and is less expensive from what I'm reading. And also would one of those have enough to replace a 1000hps and have enough coverage for a 4x4 grow tent

--------------------
AMU - Q&A
MY GROW LOG
MY ELEMENTARY COIR TEK

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #655756 - 01/21/13 12:03 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

For a 4x4 area I was going to get two 400DS. its better than one 800, since you can spread the lights out for better coverage. The shape of that light is perfect for a 4' area. I asked them if a third would help and they said no. You'll need 30" between the lights and the plants otherwise they will bleach the tops. My brother has a 740EF and I saw the fattest around buds in my life with a super lemon haze SOG. too bad he cropped them before they had a chance to fill in (he always crops way too early cause he doesn't use a calendar and is always out of bud....because he crops early). Its what convinced me to buy from them.

The 100ds over the mother, and the 180ev over the clones. You could even toss another 100 on the other side to balance out the red light(assuming your mother is off to one side), but it probably wont be needed.

--------------------

OfflineDamion5050
Male

#655772 - 01/21/13 09:15 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for all the help and info !! I have been doing reading practically all night and morning on these lights and think I might go with 2 DS200's for my veg/clones/mother tent and then come tax time buy 2 DS400's for my flowering tent. I have been reading articles and reviews etc. they seem to be really really good sources of lights and keep the energy bill low while producing great yields !!

--------------------
AMU - Q&A
MY GROW LOG
MY ELEMENTARY COIR TEK

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #655791 - 01/21/13 12:18 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I thought Advanced were overpriced for LED at first, but after seeing them in action, and subsequently seeing the $/watt(actual draw), warranty, etc for the fixture they suddenly became affordable.

Two 200w DS's should be plenty of light for that area, flower or veg. Email/call them and tell them what your doing and they'll be able to tell you the best options.

Like for veg, it might be better like I was saying, with two 100w DS's and a 180w all blue in the center.  It would be cheaper than two 200's as well, $979 vs $1100. They'll be able to help you make that decision.

--------------------

OfflineDamion5050
Male

#656040 - 01/23/13 04:29 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the help. I emailed them and this is the response I got

4' x 2' Grow Area:
Yes you are correct you can go with 2 - DS200's or you can go with 1 - DS400 for maximum yield.

4' x 4' Grow Area:
Yes you are correct you can go with 2 - DS400's for maximum Yield, however you can also go with just 1 - DS XML 350. But the 2 - DS400's will maximize your yield in that space.

--------------------
AMU - Q&A
MY GROW LOG
MY ELEMENTARY COIR TEK

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds