Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineredman2012
Stranger
How much longer till these babys are done?
    #655518 - 01/18/13 09:52 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

For anyone who remembers my old post and troubles I had all things are better and flowering is going very well, not expecting the yield I had hoped for, but still very good. I am just wondering how much longer do you guys think it will be before these buds are ready to be picked and some info on ways to tell. Thanks for any input. On a side note these are just the biggest buds on the plant at the moment still quite a few more on each.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How much longer till these babys are done? [Re: redman2012]
    #655525 - 01/19/13 01:34 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

a few weeks if you want them to fill out. how long have they been in 12/12? Sometimes you have to harvest when your leaves are looking like crap and that crappyness is receding into the buds. I see you have some spots that might become an issue.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

Loc: funkytown Flag
Re: How much longer till these babys are done? [Re: phychotron]
    #655533 - 01/19/13 08:26 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

yeah id guess 6 weeks flower? that last one looks like the resin production is farther along on the last on there, but id also say give it another couple weeks at least. look for the trichome color to change.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How much longer till these babys are done? [Re: GreenHorns]
    #655537 - 01/19/13 09:02 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

GreenHorns said:
trichome color to change.

This is the best indicator of when your plants are finished. Best way to check is with a jeweler's loupe; depending on whether you have a sativa/indica dominant plant, you should harvest anywhere between 25% and 50% of amber trichomes respectively.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How much longer till these babys are done? [Re: 81renaissance]
    #655565 - 01/19/13 02:21 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I always advise against tricome color as an indicator, as its rarely accurate for my plants. my buds are ready usually long before amber is in abundance, or even showing up. The light source has a lot to do with how fast those tricomes decay, and it can also continue a bit into the drying phase. You also don't need a loop, just look for the crystals that sparkle, those are usually your amber one's. And the milky one's will make the buds look noticeably more white to the trained eye.

Plants flower and put in structure and then after a few weeks they start budding and filling out. Your plants are still putting in that structure, pretty soon once the flower/leaf es all there it will start to swell up and hairs become consumed in the buds. Look at the top of the fourth photo you posted, thats a rather thin flower with no real bud--mostly structure waiting for the leaf mass to fill in. The final phase is largely dependent on the plant, some will foxtail and shoot out new buds off the buds before they fill in. Those it's usually best to chop before that happens, as it will usually be a few more weeks and the extra weight doesn't seem worth it--depending on the plant, gotta learn your plant.

I suggest you let a plant or two go a few weeks longer than the others just to learn what a plant looks like at 12 weeks into flower. Staggering your harvest will also give you an idea of the most optimal point of harvest for your crop. One of the hardest things to do is exercise. patience at the end of a grow.

But you also need to keep an eye on that leaf decay, it will probably be the deciding factor on when you harvest.

I suspect the 30x loop I bought on ebay is more like a 10x; I have a 14x 8" tube microscope with better magnification. Its hard to see the detail in the tricome with it. I just ordered a 60-100x scope for <$4, but I've yet to receive it.  They are good for checking for insects and eggs and stuff like that.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How much longer till these babys are done? [Re: phychotron]
    #655578 - 01/19/13 03:18 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I'm not gonna dog your methods, because it's clear from your other posts that you've got a good deal of experience with this, and that you know when to harvest based on that experience.
I will say that for a novice cultivator (IMO), trichome coloration is the single best indicator of maturity.  Things like bud structure are a more subjective method and rely heavily on experience to reach a valid understanding.  Amber trichome coloration is objective evidence that the plants have reached their peak and that THC content has begun to degrade.
I NEVER let my buds reach 50% amber-ing, b/c I prefer a more cerebral high, and I regularly grow sativa dominant strains; I agree that it is a good practice to stagger the harvest, because it gives you an idea of the psychoactive effects that you prefer in each individual strain you grow. 

OP: Psycho's advice is DEFINITELY a good piece of wisdom, b/c harvest time is largely a matter of subjective preference.  When you see various indicators of "ripeness", it's time to harvest.  Pistil coloration, bud structure, and trichome color all in conjunction will tell the most accurate tale, and guarantee that you don't harvest too early (which is the biggest harvest mistake you can make).

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How much longer till these babys are done? [Re: 81renaissance]
    #655580 - 01/19/13 03:20 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

81renaissance said:
I'm not gonna dog your methods, because it's clear from your other posts that you've got a good deal of experience with this, and that you know when to harvest based on that experience.
I will say that for a novice cultivator (IMO), trichome coloration is the single best indicator of maturity.  Things like bud structure are a more subjective method and rely heavily on experience to reach a valid understanding.  Amber trichome coloration is objective evidence that the plants have reached their peak and that THC content has begun to degrade.
I NEVER let my buds reach 50% amber-ing, b/c I prefer a more cerebral high, and I regularly grow sativa dominant strains; I agree that it is a good practice to stagger the harvest, because it gives you an idea of the psychoactive effects that you prefer in each individual strain you grow. 

OP: Psycho's advice is DEFINITELY a good piece of wisdom, b/c harvest time is largely a matter of subjective preference.  When you see various indicators of "ripeness", it's time to harvest.  Pistil coloration, bud structure, and trichome color all in conjunction will tell the most accurate tale, and guarantee that you don't harvest too early (which is the biggest harvest mistake you can make).

Ditto

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineJavadog
Stranger

Re: How much longer till these babys are done? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #655603 - 01/19/13 04:12 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

One of the hardest things to do is exercise. patience at the end of a grow.

Good grief, but this is true!

This was important info for me too OP, as my first serious crop
nears harvest.  I appreciate your taking the time.

Sweet Tooth, a week or two still maybe...

Good luck OP,

JD

P.S. I find that HPS lighting does not help in judging readiness.
(and the purple and magenta Kessils do not help ;0)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How much longer till these babys are done? [Re: Javadog]
    #655639 - 01/19/13 08:32 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Don't get me wrong, there not single universal tell-all sign with these plants--you don't want to go past 50% amber, but you don't always need to get a bunch of amber for a good harvest. Hair color can be an indicator, or superficial depending on environment. Genetics obviously plays a big role, but a lot of it has to do with how you like the texture of the buds and buzz as well. You do need to let it fill out a little bit or you will end up with light fluffy buds. They always dry lighter than you think when they're premature. If you don't know if your buds are done or not... they're not!

Another thing I've noticed is that some plants will slow down their water intake when they're almost done. I like to let them dry out as much as possible in the very end; it makes it easier to move and dispose of the soil.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder